Surrey Police letter to RFDs

Moderator: dromia

Kungfugerbil
Past Supporter

Re: Surrey Police letter to RFDs

#11 Post by Kungfugerbil »

We've had the slightly more detailed version of that letter through at our club. I'm using it as an excuse to critically review locking up procedures and the like.
breacher
Home club or Range: EBSC

#12 Post by breacher »

There is case law on this question. Not specifically firearms but the principle is the same.

The important bit is - you may use reasonable force to protect yourself, your property and other persons.

The case law revolves around whether the implement used by the victim was an offensive weapon or not. The court concluded that right up to the attack, the victim had no intent to use anything in self defence and had picked up the item on the spur of the moment to apply reasonable force against his attacker.

I am not a lawyer but I would submit that this applies to anything you have to hand. Be that a butchers knife if you are are a butcher, a stanley knife if you are a carpet layer, a hammer if you are a carpenter or a firearm if you are a target shooter. It would also apply to your vehicle - I believe a taxi driver tried ramming the London Bridge attackers at one point ?

Having said that - the chances of a potential terrorist making his move while the rifle is loaded is another matter - more likely it will be when entering or leaving the shop / club when its unloaded and wrapped up.
http://www.phoenixtactical.co.uk

RFD 2043 Cambridgeshire
shugie
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley

#13 Post by shugie »

My personal view on this topic is the less written the better.
Careful now/that sort of thing
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#14 Post by Mattnall »

I've had the same letter from Herts. The attached NPCC notes are helpfully undated and some of the information I think may be out of date regarding the expanding ammunition status.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#15 Post by Dark Skies »

The way this country flip-flops between keeping people fearful of terrorism yet dissuading people from defending themselves I think consideration regarding a decent body dumpsite over having your day in court is a worthwhile pursuit should you consider that you might possibly be involved in one of these scenarios.

Having said that I do recall, back in the day when we were a much more free country, some guy had the foolish idea of holding up a gun shop and was promptly slotted by a member of staff with a .44 magnum. Some time in the 80s I believe. Anyone else recollect this incident? I believe the member of staff was not charged.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
ordnance

#16 Post by ordnance »

It depends on what part of the UK you live in.
A primary difference between the regulation of firearms in Northern Ireland and elsewhere in the British Isles is that personal protection is accepted as a “good reason” for the grant of a certificate.
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#17 Post by Mattnall »

You are equipped in law to defend yourself. You just cannot equip yourself for defence.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
BooBoo
Home club or Range: Various

#18 Post by BooBoo »

... and the loss of life so far this year in N Ireland as compared against mainland terrorism is how many?

I'm just trying to balance up self defence and PPW as a risk in light of the present troubles.

Recent events in London were undoubtedly tragic, but 8 mins from start to finish are in all probability (luck aside) very aspirational for huge swathes of the country.
Last edited by BooBoo on Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#19 Post by Pete »

Dark Skies, here you go...........

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic ... pVKysq_eNg

Lost his RFD for having a loaded gun in the shop, and I believe the shop closed soon after. Still, every cloud, etc..........

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
ordnance

#20 Post by ordnance »

BooBoo wrote:... and the loss of life so far this year in N Ireland as compared against mainland terrorism is how many?

I'm just trying to balance up self defence and PPW as a risk in light of the present troubles.

Recent events in London were undoubtedly tragic, but 8 mins from start to finish are in all probability (luck aside) very aspirational for huge swathes of the country.

A few, the difference is civilians are only be able to get a PPW if there is a specific threat to their life. You will not get one to defend yourself from a random act of terrorism, like the attacks taking place in GB.
More than 2,000 personal security warnings have been issued in the last 13 months by the Police Service of Northern Ireland.
The PSNI disclosed the information in response to a Freedom of Information request by the BBC.
The police issued 2,335 PM1 forms to individuals where there was intelligence that there could be a risk to their life - almost 180 a month.