AI magazines

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
hobbesy

AI magazines

#1 Post by hobbesy »

In the near future if the planets align I may be the proud owner of a Accuracy International AE in .308 (the MK1 version)

It is coming with one 5 round single stack mgazine and I'll therefore be trying to source more.

What should I be looking to pay for a working magazine and do any other mags fit the rifle (I belive this is an out and out 'NO' but I'd thought I'd ask anyway).

Also any views on scopes in the £400 - £500 range, don't mind 2nd hand.

Thanks
S&W M&P 15-22
Stoeger Sec 1
Adler a110 Sec 1
Winchester 94 .357,
Marlin 45-70
Savage 10 FP-SR .223
AI AE .308
.357 Westlake Alpha

Have slots open for.....
.22 LB pistol
.22LR rifle
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: AI magazines

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

Only AE mags fit the original AE and expect to pay list on them as they seldom if ever show up on the used market. There was allegedly an 8 round magazine however I have never seen one. Scope wise anything around the 16-24X magnification that works with your eyes is OK, as an example I simply cannot get on with Leupold and am not a fan of Sightron despite owning one. My preference is always S&B and you can find low magnification S&B PM's within your budget.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
hobbesy

#3 Post by hobbesy »

Ovenpaa wrote:Only AE mags fit the original AE and expect to pay list on them as they seldom if ever show up on the used market. There was allegedly an 8 round magazine however I have never seen one. Scope wise anything around the 16-24X magnification that works with your eyes is OK, as an example I simply cannot get on with Leupold and am not a fan of Sightron despite owning one. My preference is always S&B and you can find low magnification S&B PM's within your budget.
Thanks, although I have no idea what list price is for an AI mag.
S&W M&P 15-22
Stoeger Sec 1
Adler a110 Sec 1
Winchester 94 .357,
Marlin 45-70
Savage 10 FP-SR .223
AI AE .308
.357 Westlake Alpha

Have slots open for.....
.22 LB pistol
.22LR rifle
Ovenpaa

#4 Post by Ovenpaa »

Around GBP55.00 last time I checked which is why I only have a couple for my AE Mk1
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Strangely Brown
Home club or Range: NRA

#5 Post by Strangely Brown »

hobbesy wrote:Also any views on scopes in the £400 - £500 range, don't mind 2nd hand.
If you can stretch your scope budget to £700~£800 you will find S&B 3-12x50 PM1's out there. I know most people suggest more power but I turned my S&B 3-20x50 down to 12x last Wednesday on Stickledown just for the hell of it and my scores didn't suffer.

If 3-12 power was good enough for the L96 it should be good enough for most of us.
Mick
Ovenpaa

#6 Post by Ovenpaa »

Crikey, is the PM1 up to GBP700-800 now, I must be out of touch...
/d

Shed Journal
Strangely Brown
Home club or Range: NRA

#7 Post by Strangely Brown »

Ovenpaa wrote:Crikey, is the PM1 up to GBP700-800 now, I must be out of touch...
Some ex Spanish army ones emerged about a year ago, remember though that the army issue one is different from the sporting version, i.e. steel tube, P3 reticule with stadia lines.

Edited to add they also have an anti laser coating, which wouldn't be much use to most of us these days!
Mick
hobbesy

#8 Post by hobbesy »

Thanks for the help, I'll keep an eye out for the mags but £700 is a little out of my range for the momemt
S&W M&P 15-22
Stoeger Sec 1
Adler a110 Sec 1
Winchester 94 .357,
Marlin 45-70
Savage 10 FP-SR .223
AI AE .308
.357 Westlake Alpha

Have slots open for.....
.22 LB pistol
.22LR rifle
Countryman

#9 Post by Countryman »

I have one with a 30” Trueflight Ultramatch barrel. The AE the rifle I always wanted to own.

Mag-wise I only have the one because I can’t get one with more than 5 round capacity and for McQueens that means I hand feed. I believe Dolphin Rifles May do a platform Mag replacement to optimise hand feeding.

I’m saving up for a PM2 but meanwhile I have one of these which has been excellent and I have a 20moa rail on which takes me out to 1100 yards no problem.

http://m.uttings.co.uk/p102732-bushnell ... jNe7GKnyEc

Sent from my boing using "An application"
Ovenpaa

#10 Post by Ovenpaa »

We have supplied AI rifles with Bushnell Elite scopes in the past and I was quite impressed with the glass albeit only peering through them.
/d

Shed Journal