The UK's Finest Independent Forum for Shooters and Gun Owners

Supporting all legal firearm owners, collectors, enthusiasts, shooters and competitors by promoting and encouraging legitimate gun ownership and use in the UK through unity, advocacy and discussion. PLEASE SEE POST IN NEWS ABOUT GDPR.
It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:58 am

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: GGG problem
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 12:13 pm 
Offline
Site Supporter Since 2015
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:42 pm
Posts: 987
Location: near Reading
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley
I was enjoying myself at 600 yards on Century yesterday with some ammunition I'd made using vihtavuori, the results were more than acceptable, my best score ever and by some margin. But I'd not cooked enough of them , and reverted back to my usual GGG from the range office. I've had consistent results with GGG in my Swing, and was more than surprised to find it was all over the place, one round under the target, and no noticeable grouping. I can understand why it might land in a different place, but would at least have expected them all to land, more or less, in the same place.

I'm puzzled.

_________________
Careful now/that sort of thing


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: GGG problem
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:35 pm 
Offline
Site Supporter Since 2016
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:32 pm
Posts: 1636
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC
Changing ammo can have a dramatic affect on group size until the barrel gets mucky with the new fouling. I have found on changing ammo types I need to shoot 5-10 shots before they start grouping anywhere near I know they should.
Could this have been the issue?

_________________
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: GGG problem
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:56 pm
Posts: 688
Home club or Range: Bisley - Mostly
.......which bullets in the home load? SMK 2215 or 2216 or X? & what NRA GGG? 147 MilSurp or NRA TR 155?

I have seen the MilSurp 147 GGG perform very poor groups vs GGG155 or RG 155

_________________
Quality control of Scottish Ethanol. & RDX/HMX

& my fav chemical is :-) 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine.......... used to kill frogs.... but widely consumed & in vast quantities by the French? Eh?


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: GGG problem
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:05 pm 
Offline
Site Supporter Since 2015
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:42 pm
Posts: 987
Location: near Reading
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley
Home load SMK2156, GGG 155 match. My Swing has a non-standard Border barrel that only really likes 155.

_________________
Careful now/that sort of thing


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: GGG problem
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:35 pm 
Offline
Site Supporter 2018
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:48 am
Posts: 940
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley
Non-standard barrel? What twist? My Swing has a 1:11 Bartlein and I get the best results with 2155's, or 155 Scenars.
2156's were never as good.

Pete

_________________
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: GGG problem
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:29 pm 
Offline
Site Supporter Since 2015
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:42 pm
Posts: 987
Location: near Reading
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley
Pete wrote:
Non-standard barrel? What twist? My Swing has a 1:11 Bartlein and I get the best results with 2155's, or 155 Scenars.
2156's were never as good.

Pete


I don't know what the twist is, the only markings on the barrel are GI.309 F.300 Z.3070

_________________
Careful now/that sort of thing


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: GGG problem
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:32 pm
Posts: 3035
Location: Cambridgeshire
Home club or Range: EBSC
Mattnall wrote:
Changing ammo can have a dramatic affect on group size until the barrel gets mucky with the new fouling. I have found on changing ammo types I need to shoot 5-10 shots before they start grouping anywhere near I know they should.
Could this have been the issue?


This !!!

Very frustrating too.

_________________
http://www.phoenixtactical.co.uk


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: GGG problem
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:48 pm 
Offline
Site Supporter Since 2015
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:42 pm
Posts: 987
Location: near Reading
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley
breacher wrote:
Mattnall wrote:
Changing ammo can have a dramatic affect on group size until the barrel gets mucky with the new fouling. I have found on changing ammo types I need to shoot 5-10 shots before they start grouping anywhere near I know they should.
Could this have been the issue?


This !!!

Very frustrating too.


That's new to me. Could be the explanation, certainly better than anything else I can think of, thanks!

_________________
Careful now/that sort of thing


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: GGG problem
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 6:26 am 
Offline
Site Supporter Since 2016
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:32 pm
Posts: 1636
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC
shugie wrote:
breacher wrote:
Mattnall wrote:
Changing ammo can have a dramatic affect on group size until the barrel gets mucky with the new fouling. I have found on changing ammo types I need to shoot 5-10 shots before they start grouping anywhere near I know they should.
Could this have been the issue?


This !!!

Very frustrating too.


That's new to me. Could be the explanation, certainly better than anything else I can think of, thanks!


I've found it's particularly bad with 22LR ammo as well. I guess smaller, slower bullets are affected more by the changes.

_________________
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Chapuis and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group