New laws coming?

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: New laws coming?

#1011 Post by Blackstuff »

One thing i do know for sure, unless specifically required for compensation purposes, they won't be getting a complete rifle. I'll be stripping any non-licensed parts off it, giving the dissassembled licensed parts in a bag and it'll all be getting painted bright pink/yellow/orange, i'm not having my rifle paraded around on the news with some beaming MP pr!ck showing off a 'scary' looking gun "Look at these terrifying weapons we've taken off the street" 8-)
DVC
Brian838
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Offa's Dyke.

#1012 Post by Brian838 »

Blackstuff wrote:One thing i do know for sure, unless specifically required for compensation purposes, they won't be getting a complete rifle. I'll be stripping any non-licensed parts off it, giving the dissassembled licensed parts in a bag and it'll all be getting painted bright pink/yellow/orange, i'm not having my rifle paraded around on the news with some beaming MP pr!ck showing off a 'scary' looking gun "Look at these terrifying weapons we've taken off the street" 8-)
They’ll be getting a bag of ‘pink bits’ off me too! I would urge all those effected to do the same.
Fredbloggs

#1013 Post by Fredbloggs »

I intend to strip all the none licensed bits off mine as well (45acp lever release)

And I think ill get my 13 yo daughter to decorate all of the licensed bits as well, she likes doing art!, especially decoupage (lots of pinks and purples).

Actually we should start a thread at hand in time, (after we have worn out the barrels etc) of "show us your hand ins" and have a prize for the best decorated :)

ATB

Fred
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#1014 Post by Dark Skies »

Blackstuff wrote:One thing i do know for sure, unless specifically required for compensation purposes, they won't be getting a complete rifle. I'll be stripping any non-licensed parts off it, giving the dissassembled licensed parts in a bag and it'll all be getting painted bright pink/yellow/orange, i'm not having my rifle paraded around on the news with some beaming MP pr!ck showing off a 'scary' looking gun "Look at these terrifying weapons we've taken off the street" 8-)
I like the way you think.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
TattooedGun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

#1015 Post by TattooedGun »

It's just a shame that politicians would put a spin on it that they've taken these deadly weapons off the street which appear to have been painted to look like toys...

Or some such BS Political Spin...
JSC
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA

#1016 Post by JSC »

I totally mis-read para 44 of the consultation summary and thought it said 44.78% were opposed to the ban, but of course it says 78%! D'OH!

Even more reason to write those letters to your MP pointing out that the consultation was badly worded, misleading and not supported by the vast majority of respondents!

Forget about compensation until you know if you actually have to hand anything in or not. Instead, write in and let them know how completely misguided this Bill is.
Fedaykin
Home club or Range: Cawdor

#1017 Post by Fedaykin »

Some things that really shine out from the detailed assesment:
GENERAL ASSUMPTIONS & DATA
8. Police record 64 .50 calibre rifles are owned by individual and estimates by
the NCA put importation of MARS rifles at around 400 in total.
then
Benefits
32. The size of calibre or the fire rate of these rifles is likely to mean that were
used in a crime there is a significant risk of more deaths or serious injuries than if
other more conventional types of weapon were used. The cost of a homicide to
society was estimated in the cost of crime to be approximately £2,000,000 (2017
prices).
33. These rifles constitute 0.07% of all registered rifles. On average, there were
45 firearm related homicides per year between 2004/2005 – 2014/2015.
and finally the real stinker
35. Under the high cost scenarios the policy would need to prevent three
homicides over the next ten years to break even; in the midpoint the policy would
need to prevent two homicides, and one in the low estimate
So lets break this down .50cal and MARS action rifles represent 0.07% of all rifles registered in the UK. So I presume that they are leaving Shotguns out of that equation? If they were added that percentage would drop even further! They bring up the cost of how much a Homicide costs to the nation which apparently is £2,000,000 and then state if three homicides are prevented over a ten year period with .50cal and MARS action rifles they break even. They spuriously bring up the figure of 45 firearms related homicides over a ten year period, they fail to mention that ZERO of those homicides involved the rifles they want to ban. For that matter between 2003 and 2013 there were 28,029 road related fatalities...better ban the cars!

So considering there have been zero fatalities so far and these rifles represent a tiny proportion of the licensed Firearms and shotguns out there and the incredibly low number of firearm related homicides in the first place the better conclusion would be the chance of being killed by one is so low as to almost be impossible so why are they making the argument that the policy breaks even if the up to three homicides are prevented?

They also bring up the penetration of Police body armour again ignoring that pretty much all popular centre-fire calibers used in hunting rifles and modern pistol ammo can easily penetrate a stab vest. Military grade body armour ceramic inserts would struggle with hotter hunting rounds! The reality is if a scenario developed where a terrorist was actually using a .50cal best policy for the police would be to stay out of the way set up a perimeter to prevent the public getting close to the incident and wait for teams from 22 SAS to turn up and handle the situation!

So their whole reason to do this is to prevent the chance of an event happening in the next ten years that has never happened ever in the UK...great evidence based policy making!
I am Arthur Frayn, and I am Zardoz.
I have lived 300 years...

I am immortal.
I present now my story,
full of mystery and intrigue,
rich in irony, and most satirical.
IainWR
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#1018 Post by IainWR »

From the NRA website: https://nra.org.uk/offensive-weapons-bi ... g-27-6-18/

22nd June 2018

“Offensive Weapons Bill” – Second Reading Wednesday 27th June 2018

We the target shooting community are being unfairly treated by prohibitions proposed in the above Bill.

I have emailed MPs asking them to challenge the Bill; my letter can be found https://nra.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/O ... e-2018.pdf

Time is short and it is essential that shooters contact their local MP and:-

State their support to the NRA’s letter
Urge their local MP to question:

(a) the details of the NCA / police Risk Assessments that apparently have identified .50” calibre / MARS rifles as particular risks to public safety

(b) what reductions in firearms crime are expected as a result of the prohibitions

(c) the incidence of legally held rifles being used in crime; and

(d) why the strict rules on the granting of FACs are deemed insufficient in the case of .50” calibre, MARS and lever release rifles.

Our politicians have many demands on their time and attention; it is best to concentrate upon the unjustified attack on the law abiding shooting community rather than detailed technical descriptions.

This Bill, if unchallenged, risks setting a dangerous precedent for the shooting community as it proposes banning certain firearms without evidence or credible justification. Today the target is .50” calibre and MARS / lever release rifles; tomorrow it could be one of yours.

Please email your local MP – their contact details can be found https://www.parliament.uk/mps-lords-and-offices/mps/

The Bill and evidence base can be found https://services.parliament.uk/Bills/20 ... apons.html

Andrew Mercer

Group Chief Executive & Secretary General
Rearlugs

#1019 Post by Rearlugs »

IainWR wrote:From the NRA website: https://nra.org.uk/offensive-weapons-bi ... g-27-6-18/

22nd June 2018

“Offensive Weapons Bill” – Second Reading Wednesday 27th June 2018

We the target shooting community are being unfairly treated by prohibitions proposed in the above Bill.

I have emailed MPs asking them to challenge the Bill; my letter can be found https://nra.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/O ... e-2018.pdf

Time is short and it is essential that shooters contact their local MP and:-

State their support to the NRA’s letter
Urge their local MP to question:

(a) the details of the NCA / police Risk Assessments that apparently have identified .50” calibre / MARS rifles as particular risks to public safety

(b) what reductions in firearms crime are expected as a result of the prohibitions

(c) the incidence of legally held rifles being used in crime; and

(d) why the strict rules on the granting of FACs are deemed insufficient in the case of .50” calibre, MARS and lever release rifles.

Our politicians have many demands on their time and attention; it is best to concentrate upon the unjustified attack on the law abiding shooting community rather than detailed technical descriptions.

This Bill, if unchallenged, risks setting a dangerous precedent for the shooting community as it proposes banning certain firearms without evidence or credible justification. Today the target is .50” calibre and MARS / lever release rifles; tomorrow it could be one of yours.

Please email your local MP – their contact details can be found https://www.parliament.uk/mps-lords-and-offices/mps/

The Bill and evidence base can be found https://services.parliament.uk/Bills/20 ... apons.html

Andrew Mercer

Group Chief Executive & Secretary General

Urinating into the breeze springs to mind.

There is hardly any pretence that the "consultation" is anything other than a sham, or that any real world justification exists for this latest round of bans.

This is an ongoing one-way agenda-driven process, and I think members of the shooting community are kidding themselves if they think that its going to stop anytime soon. We'd be better off simply having a biennial sweepstake that gives prizes for those guessing correctly whats going to go next (all of Sect 58? Mags over 5 rnd capacity? Energy limit down to 7k? "Sniper" rifles? Bayonets? Black powder?).
Christel
Site Admin

#1020 Post by Christel »

Rearlugs wrote:

Urinating into the breeze springs to mind.

There is hardly any pretence that the "consultation" is anything other than a sham, or that any real world justification exists for this latest round of bans.

This is an ongoing one-way agenda-driven process, and I think members of the shooting community are kidding themselves if they think that its going to stop anytime soon. We'd be better off simply having a biennial sweepstake that gives prizes for those guessing correctly whats going to go next (all of Sect 58? Mags over 5 rnd capacity? Energy limit down to 7k? "Sniper" rifles? Bayonets? Black powder?).
I am normally a positive person however on this occasion I think you are absolutely right.

Unless we (shooters) can find something in the law that makes our sport safe we are doomed.

It is a direction that started decades ago and it will keep getting worse.

You can write to your local MP all you want, it won't make any difference, our sport will sink just like Titanic. Can't change the course.