Burglar alarms

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Rarms
Past Supporter

Re: Burglar alarms

#21 Post by Rarms »

Polchraine wrote:
Lose the fob and you have immediately compromised the system. Fobs are fine for arming but NOT for disarming unless it requires a code too.
As soon as you get home after losing the remote, you could just remove it from the system devices and then it is no use to anyone!
Polchraine

#22 Post by Polchraine »

That assumes you know you have lost them. You could for example drop you keys/fob on your drive and would not know for 8 hours.

Or a fob borrowed and cloned on minutes

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
TRG-22
Home club or Range: Make me an offer.

#23 Post by TRG-22 »

I have one bunch of keys, with everything on it. Plus a few fobs, a coin holder, a note holder, a Leatherman Micra, a mini-Maglite and a whistle. Aside from not being able to get into my car, or my house, it's far too big to drop and not notice.
Tory voters. Next election. Stay at home. Protect the NHS. Save lives.
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#24 Post by Dark Skies »

Polchraine wrote:
Dark Skies wrote:
Some alarms have easy to use key fobs for arming and disarming at the press of a button.

I have a Yale Smart Alarm that does this.
Lose the fob and you have immediately compromised the system. Fobs are fine for arming but NOT for disarming unless it requires a code too.
No. You can easily change the fob's code with the app on your phone the moment you notice it has gone missing.
To be fair you can argue the same for your gun safe's keys should you drop them. Or your car keys etc. No system is 100% - which is why I'm constantly touching my pocket to check my wallet is there, my keys are there, my passport is still in my pocket etc. etc I've conditioned myself to be anxious about security.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
TRG-22
Home club or Range: Make me an offer.

#25 Post by TRG-22 »

You want to watch out that you don't end up on a register.... lol
Tory voters. Next election. Stay at home. Protect the NHS. Save lives.
Rarms
Past Supporter

#26 Post by Rarms »

TRG-22 wrote:I have one bunch of keys, with everything on it. Plus a few fobs, a coin holder, a note holder, a Leatherman Micra, a mini-Maglite and a whistle. Aside from not being able to get into my car, or my house, it's far too big to drop and not notice.
Likewise
Racalman
Home club or Range: LPSC and NRA

#27 Post by Racalman »

Yogibear wrote:I dont mean to hijack the thread, but...
Would people be interested in a Professional grade alarm system with wireless / wired sensors/detectors, Smart app and SMS control etc?
If I was to pre configure, set up (I could wire detectors with a short length of cable) and test on my bench then post (or collect from Bisley). All you would have to do is connect to an electric supply, mount the detectors, put longer cables to any wired detectors, insert Sim card of your choice.
We would be able to configure how you wanted it eg gun cabinet detector is permanently armed even when the rest o the house is disarmed etc.
Just thinking out loud atm. Not sure what sort of cost this would be, but definitely more than the DIY toys, but cheaper than paying some one to do it for you.
I usually install large systems, but all my suppliers smaller systems are available to me.
I wouldn't use wireless sensors in an alarm system as they are not 100% reliable.
Polchraine

#28 Post by Polchraine »

Racalman wrote:
Yogibear wrote:
I wouldn't use wireless sensors in an alarm system as they are not 100% reliable.
Have to agree, they are useful when you can easily run a wired link - my garage for example becasue there is a river between the house and there. Certainly for main detection I would advise against - although they do have other uses.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
shoppe
Home club or Range: Any field

#29 Post by shoppe »

Just put up a few signs like this.

Shoppe
Attachments
smith and wesson.jpg
smith and wesson.jpg (41.71 KiB) Viewed 574 times