DiY Podlocks

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

DiY Podlocks

#1 Post by Ovenpaa »

Abbreviated form and shamelessly lifted from the AR15 forum so I hope the OP does not mind. I have these on a couple of rifles and they do make life easier if you use a Harris Bipod.
Here's some great info on making your own Pod-Lock for the swivel style Harris Bipods. A few months ago, I needed to outfit 4 swivel bipods and the Pod-Lock "kits" are 20.00 each + shipping on the net. I recently followed the instructions of others and for 22.00 shipped from "T-Nuts", I converted all 4 bipods. From most of the vendors listed below, you will need one of the "3/16th washer/spacers" (model SS1) and one "bipod lever/lock", per bipod. (If you are converting 2 bipods, you will need 2 spacers total and 2 bipod locks/levers total, etc.). Heck, even if you are just converting one bipod, the parts will run you a total of 5.00-8.00 + shipping. That's still less than 1/2 of the "kit" price. FYI- some of the vendors below use the term "spacer" or "washer". These are interchangable as long as these are 3/16". The same with the term bipod "lock" and bipod "lever". I used "T-Nuts" to place my order as everything is listed on one page.

Parts available from http://t-nuts.com/index.php?cPath=73&os ... 900baa8003

SS1 3/16 Steel Spacers $0.81 - $0.95
BPL-ZS BPL-Metal/Stainless $5.90 - $6.89
BPL-Z BPL-Metal/Steel $4.44 - $5.20
BPL-NS BPL-Nylon/Stainless $4.65 - $5.39
BPL-N BPL-Nylon/Steel $3.25 - $4.81
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Dangermouse

Re: DIY Podlocks

#2 Post by Dangermouse »

I was thinking of something like these when you were making your cheek piece but could not find the original post.

I got one at the end of last season and boy do they make a difference. I have yet to use a proper F Class Bi pod, everyone says that they are better again, I would love to get one some day - still waiting for your creation ;)

DM
Without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation, of the massacre of mankind.
Forever Autumn, War of the Worlds.
Ovenpaa

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

Dangermouse wrote:I got one at the end of last season and boy do they make a difference. I have yet to use a proper F Class Bi pod, everyone says that they are better again, I would love to get one some day - still waiting for your creation ;)
It is WiP (Work in progress) I hope to unleash a prototype fairly soon, I spent ages trying to design something unique and eventually realised others have had some great ideas so I just borrowed the best bits :)

I plan on having a remote elevation control to save leaning forward and an all up weight that makes it worth while.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Dangermouse

#4 Post by Dangermouse »

Will it have an umbrella though? Need something to keep the breech, ammunition, scorecards/plotting graph and myself dry!

Did think a bout an inflatable roll mat with tube hood, then had visions of it flying off up range never to be seen again,

DM
Without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation, of the massacre of mankind.
Forever Autumn, War of the Worlds.
TobyH

Re: DiY Podlocks

#5 Post by TobyH »

Which thread is it for the lever? 10-32 or M6 x 1.0?
"Death is nature's way of telling you to slow down." - Dick Sharples
Ovenpaa

#6 Post by Ovenpaa »

TobyH wrote:Which thread is it for the lever? 10-32 or M6 x 1.0?
You would need to check, I believe the Harris is Imperial and some of the clones are metric.

I can soon pull a podlock off and check if you wish.
/d

Shed Journal
TobyH

#7 Post by TobyH »

It's a genuine harris so should be imperial, 10-24 then.
Ovenpaa

#8 Post by Ovenpaa »

I am off to check! ;)
/d

Shed Journal
Ovenpaa

#9 Post by Ovenpaa »

I can confirm it is not 6mm. You can get away with 3 M5 washers instead of the spacer, I used stainless.
/d

Shed Journal
TobyH

#10 Post by TobyH »

The kit comes with the spacer so no probs there. Should be here in 10 days! Very good service so far.

Also bought the bits for my cheek piece.