missing a easy shot

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
simmo1211

missing a easy shot

#1 Post by simmo1211 »

second time this as happend to me im using a krico 902 with a nightforce scope on a bipod i took a shot at fox around 90 yards took off laughing at me im sure 3 weeks ago i was resting riffle on a fence post dropped one at around 150 yards could be me or the bipod any ideas please
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: missing a easy shot

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

Well one shot was prone and one standing, could be parallax but doubtful at 90/150 but make sure it is set correctly, could be sight picture as well, have you got some where you can check zero, might be worth checking it standing and prone from the same distance to see if the POI - point of impact moves any.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
simmo1211

#3 Post by simmo1211 »

got plenty of land will check it out at 150 yards see what happens thanks
Ovenpaa

#4 Post by Ovenpaa »

Check it at 100 as well in both positions to see if the POI is significantly different. It is odd because there is no doubting the ability of the Krico and the Nightforce 'scopes are good as well.

What calibre is it?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
simmo1211

#5 Post by simmo1211 »

243 prior i had a sabatti 243 never had a problem with that at all
Dangermouse

#6 Post by Dangermouse »

To ask the blindingly obvious, You have checked the fittings on your mounts and rail?

Not familiar with the Krico, but I know another make of popular hunting rifle has a flexible fore end, so the POI moves from free hand to resting on anything/by pod,

Guess you were using the same ammunition batch? What about weather temp, were both days the same?

DM
Last edited by Dangermouse on Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation, of the massacre of mankind.
Forever Autumn, War of the Worlds.
Ovenpaa

#7 Post by Ovenpaa »

Silly question but is everything tight? 'Scope, rail action to stock - that will throw shots all over the place.

EDIT - beat me to it DM!
/d

Shed Journal
simmo1211

#8 Post by simmo1211 »

will double check then try it on sun could just be me having a bad day
barney57

#9 Post by barney57 »

ovenpaa wrote:Silly question but is everything tight? 'Scope, rail action to stock - that will throw shots all over the place.

EDIT - beat me to it DM!
Yes, do check this happened to me when I first had my 223 one shot on target, second shot way off,,,a mate also tried it same effect,,,just could not get two shots in the same place could not understand it,,,,,,,and then completly by accident and all too obvious to notice, we found a loose screw on my scope,,,tightened it re zeroed bang on no probs since....how silly was that??? but it happens.....

Also check what distance you zeroed at......with my .22 I zeroed at the wrong distance and was missing easy close targets for a past time,, so I re zeroed at 65mtrs,,,now I hit what I aim at no probs,, near or far..
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it!

Cede Nullis (Yield to None)
Kernow Bys Vyken (Cornwall for ever)
Ovenpaa

#10 Post by Ovenpaa »

barney57 wrote:Yes, do check this happened to me when I first had my 223 one shot on target, second shot way off,,,a mate also tried it same effect,,,just could not get two shots in the same place could not understand it,,,,,,,and then completly by accident and all too obvious to notice, we found a loose screw on my scope,,,tightened it re zeroed bang on no probs since....how silly was that??? but it happens.....
It happened to me, well Christel in fact but I assume responsibility, I had dropped the action out of her stock to so some work and replaced it and tightened as normal, she shot fine at 800 and 1000 and was doing OK at 1200 when all of a sudden it all went pear shaped, she was on the frame but all over the place and we were both confused so she decided to pack up, I was moving her rifle off the point after it had been cleared and as I picked it up I felt something move, the action screws had come loose. :oops:

I tightened them back up, order was resumed, and I learnt a very valuable lesson.
/d

Shed Journal