New offence keeps airguns under lock and key

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
barney57

Re: New offence keeps airguns under lock and key

#11 Post by barney57 »

Robin128 wrote:
TobyH wrote:Same as they do for firearms isn't it?
With s1 and s2 firearms, their ownership is recorded...not for airguns.

It's a useless law.
Why??
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it!

Cede Nullis (Yield to None)
Kernow Bys Vyken (Cornwall for ever)
barney57

#12 Post by barney57 »

20series wrote:next time a child dies because some irresponsible muppet leaves an airgun lying around they will have a proper offence to charge them with.

Sadly being an irresponsible muppet isn't against the law.

Alan

Rob,, you might want to take not of this post, from 20series,,,,Given how you think it's a Useless Law!!

next time a child dies because some irresponsible muppet leaves an airgun lying around they will have a proper offence to charge them with

My sentiments entirely,,,,agree 100%

Chapuis

#13 Post by Chapuis »

Just a thought but if you were convicted of failing to secure an airgun could that be regarded as a firearms offence? If so could that lead to revocation of your firearms certificate, or could it prevent you from being granted a firearms certificate? No doubt these questions will be answered in due course.
Blackisler

#14 Post by Blackisler »

Chapuis wrote:Just a thought but if you were convicted of failing to secure an airgun could that be regarded as a firearms offence? If so could that lead to revocation of your firearms certificate, or could it prevent you from being granted a firearms certificate? No doubt these questions will be answered in due course.
More to the point how will police be able to check if the airguns are locked up, when they do not know who has them or how many there is in the country. Are all householders going to be woken up at stupid o;clock in the morning by the police on the pretence that they checking for airguns.
Chapuis

#15 Post by Chapuis »

From what I can gather the main reason for this legislation is to make parents responsible for ensuring that children cannot gain access to airguns unsupervised. I know of two tragedies in the last couple of years when youngsters have been killed by air rifles. In all probability the idiots out there won't take any notice of the chage in legislation or for that matter even be aware that there has been a change in the law.
Robin128

#16 Post by Robin128 »

barney57 wrote:
20series wrote:next time a child dies because some irresponsible muppet leaves an airgun lying around they will have a proper offence to charge them with.

Alan

Rob,, you might want to take not of this post, from 20series,,,,Given how you think it's a Useless Law!!

next time a child dies because some irresponsible muppet leaves an airgun lying around they will have a proper offence to charge them with

If the new law doesn't prevent the offence...what's the point?

;)
Sim G
Past Supporter

#17 Post by Sim G »

Robin128 wrote: If the new law doesn't prevent the offence...what's the point?
I agree. The law, especially with airguns being unregistered, could in reality only be applied retrospectively. And no doubt applied after some tragedy.

I'm not surprised that most on here keep their airguns in their cabinets, I do also, but is that because we are shooters and already have them? How many on here are purely air rifle shooters and still have cabinets?

Lockable and sturdy cupboard? Nah, BS cabinets are the accepted and it won't be long until this is a requirement and how many are going to fork out at least 80 quid to store their 40 quid Chinese break barrel? No childrens "lives" will be saved by this regulation, it just gives the authorities somewhere to aportion the blame the next time something happens...
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
barney57

#18 Post by barney57 »

Robin128 wrote:
barney57 wrote:

Alan

;)

But then Rob, you say ,,,,,,,

Then surely the same could be said about all the rules, laws and legislation that surrounds all firearms and their owners already??

How many offences are committed with illegal and illegally held Firearms?? every new law that has come into effect hasnt stopped them have they??

I just believe it's common sense to keep your air rifle locked away,,wheres the harm in it?

Robin128

#19 Post by Robin128 »

None of the firearms laws since '68 prevents anything.

Gun crime has gone up since, hasn't it?

The sensible airgun owners lock them up already and the lunatics will carry on as before.

Defence rests m'lud.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#20 Post by Blackstuff »

Robin128 wrote:None of the firearms laws since '68 prevents anything.

Gun crime has gone up since, hasn't it?

The sensible airgun owners lock them up already and the lunatics will carry on as before.

Defence rests m'lud.
Agreed, but i'd advance on that and say none since the 1903 pistol registration Act!
DVC