Most interesting thing you shot with/at last year?

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

Re: Most interesting thing you shot with/at last year?

#11 Post by FredB »

Just to illustrate the difficulty----
Attachments
RH Side breach.JPG
FredB

#12 Post by FredB »

and---
Attachments
Bolt top open.JPG
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

#13 Post by Mike357 »

FredB wrote:How about this? Anybody know what it is????
Fred
I'm plucking at straws but I'm guessing it is a rifle Fred? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
Christel
Site Admin

#14 Post by Christel »

ovenpaa wrote:
christel wrote:For me it has to be that black thing that spewed bullets everywhere.
Oh and those tip down targets, they were fun!
That was either a LSV (Light Support Weapon) against knock down targets, alternatively it could have been you dropping my lovingly loaded match rounds on the floor, but you aint black.....

:lol:

Yup, LSV
Scotsgun

#15 Post by Scotsgun »

Tooley 8bore - class!
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#16 Post by dromia »

I think it must have been my Tabatiere. I'd only managed to get 6 rounds made but it was great to get it shooting. I'm negotiating having sizing die made for me as driving the 12 bore cases into and out of a hole in a plank is frankly a pain.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Chuck

#17 Post by Chuck »

Hmmm, there's FN2000, Kriss in 45ACP and of course my (wife's) Safir T14 (M16 alike) 36cal semi auto shotgun.....

Not different but shooting a couple of police MP5's whilst doing some training with them was the dogs....never happen here will it (himt himt) :D
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#18 Post by Ovenpaa »

FredB wrote:How about this? Anybody know what it is????
Fred
You never did say what it was FredB :)
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
FredB

#19 Post by FredB »

When I bought it, I did not know what it was. The chamber was cut for something close to a .32 S&W and the bore was rusty and shot out but around .310 dia. Styling wise, it obviously came from the USA, but the lock internals are very Birmingham, UK. What to do with it? Keep it as a curiosity or make it shoot? After a year of prevaricating, I decided that I wanted to shoot it, knowing that this would make it "modern" and it would have to be on ticket henceforth. It was relined with a Lee-Enfield barrel and chambered for .32 S&W Long---as close as I could get to the unknown original calibre. It is very heavy for off-hand shooting but very accurate.
About 3 years ago, I heard from an aquaintance in the USA that he had found "something like it" in the US Patent database. I looked it up and sure enough, he had found it. It is a (the only???) Fiedler's Patent. Mr Fiedler was looking for a way to convert percussion target rifles to cartridge. Although he succeeded with this design, it could never have been a commercial success. It required super-accurate machining and is literally made like an expensive watch. On the positive side, it ony needs a small screwdriver to dismantle it and the barrel is only finger tight in the receiver---you could have several barrels with different power rounds providing that they all used the same cartridge head size.
Interestingly, it uses the same type of extractor as a Mauser K98, mounted under the bolt. It pre-dates Mr Mauser's patent by many years!
Fred
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#20 Post by Ovenpaa »

So 1860's or maybe older? I would be very interested to hear about the restoration and sleeving, did you redo the stock and take photographs through the restoration. Also how did you put it on ticket afterwards, through the Gunsmith?

New thread time maybe? ;)
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal