Not much of a backstop!!!

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

Not much of a backstop!!!

#1 Post by Mike357 »

This is the zeroing range at the MOD facilities at Barry Buddon near Dundee. Just over the dunes is the River Tay and beyond that are several small towns on the opposite bank. Not much of a backstop is it?

It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
Angelfire

Re: Not much of a backstop!!!

#2 Post by Angelfire »

Are the MOD allowed to do as they wish. It all looks a bit unsafe to my eyes, but would like to see it in the flesh before saying its not "safe" to use.

Regards

Phil*
Calm or unflinching in face of trouble, defeat, or loss. May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies. If you can read this then thank a teacher. If you can read this in English then thank a soldier!.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

The upper part of Jutland (Denmark main land) is divided by the Limfjord, and situated within the Fjord is the Island of Mors, South west on the island is a little coastal village called Karby....... (This is a bit tenuous) Anyway Karby despite its size has two ranges, both shoot rifle outside and one has a dedicated indoor pistol range, and the point of this ramble? The back stop for each range is a small mound, miss it by a few inches either way and all you have is water and the Northern part of Jutland a kilometre or less away.

We got married in the Church in Karby and stopped at/owned the house at the end of the Church yard for a few years or so, both ranges were a 5 minute walk from the house ;)

Downside is we got so bogged down with local club bureaucracy that we never managed to shoot at either of the ranges so these days we shoot at Ulfborg who really do not care where we come from or what we shoot, give us the keys to the place when they close in the evenings, have a nicely stocked bar if needed and best of all it is a lot cheaper to stop at than the house on Karby which was a bit of a money pit.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Sim G
Past Supporter

#4 Post by Sim G »

Too bloody right that's unsafe!!!

Somebody could trip over that flask and sandwich box and fall in the fox hole!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

#5 Post by Mike357 »

Sim G wrote:Too bloody right that's unsafe!!!

Somebody could trip over that flask and sandwich box and fall in the fox hole!
They'd drown in the water that was in the bottom of the fox hole :lol:
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
Polchraine

#6 Post by Polchraine »

Mike357 wrote: They'd drown in the water that was in the bottom of the fox hole :lol:
Water?

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
Polchraine

#7 Post by Polchraine »

Mike357 wrote:This is the zeroing range at the MOD facilities at Barry Buddon near Dundee. Just over the dunes is the River Tay and beyond that are several small towns on the opposite bank. Not much of a backstop is it?
Is this the location on Google Maps? http://mt0.google.com/vt/lyrs=h@144&hl= ... z=17&s=Gal

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
Scotsgun

#8 Post by Scotsgun »

Leave bloody well alone! I have many a fond memory of that range.

I used to shoot on a range in Essex which 'looked' out into the medway. The backstop was non-existant so we'd have to stop for a breather every time a boat sailed by.
Robin128

#9 Post by Robin128 »

Have you seen where the rifle range aims in Jersey?

49°14'49.35" N 2°11'24.43" W

:P
Sim G
Past Supporter

#10 Post by Sim G »

Scotsgun wrote:
I used to shoot on a range in Essex which 'looked' out into the medway. The backstop was non-existant so we'd have to stop for a breather every time a boat sailed by.
From Essex over the Medway would have put your backstop in Chatham/Rochester......... the residents of those fine places wouldn't have noticed "extra" rounds bouncing around the place.... ;) :twisted:
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!