Firearms licensing changes

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Robin128

Re: Firearms licensing changes

#11 Post by Robin128 »

I do not disagree with anything that you say Mike.

But there are sensible ways around data capture and sharing that can, should and must be put in place.

To give the GP the decision/responsibility over gun certificates would be wrong.

I would be surprised if there were not already data tags in use regarding patient records...eg diabetic, cancer, lactose intolerance etc...why not for schizophrenic, psychopathic, asperger's etc. The Police having access to such relevant information need not be visible to the GP.

I would also take this oppurtunity to repeat my beliefs that gun club general and membership secretaries maintain 2 way comms with the Police cert depts as to suitability of applicants for certs. Ryan and Hamilton would have been screened out years before they were allowed to go berserk.

Rob
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#12 Post by Ovenpaa »

..As long as the Police base decisions on more than just the comments from a club secretary, which I am sure they would. The problem is going to be two extremes, either the person does not report anything to their GP or at the other end the brother/sister/secretary is a vindictive type..

It is not going to be easy regardless, I assume it possible for the general public and or members of a club to voice concerns to the police, and if so how seriously did they take such reports in the past?

Does anyone know how many FAC's/SGC's have been suspended or revoked based on such comment?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Mike2

#13 Post by Mike2 »

It was the shooting club who finally "outed" Robert Kleasen, the model for the Texas chainsaw Massacre film.

From http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/fo ... topic=7285

"He was said to have lied to the Humberside force over a series of previous convictions in America so that he could get a shotgun certificate in 1991, a firearms licence the next year and a dealer’s permit in 1997.

Kleasen built up such a strong relationship with the force’s firearms unit, advising them on weapons, that he was on their Christmas card list. When officers raided his home in April 1999 they found 40 weapons, including a Thompson sub-machinegun, two pistols and a shotgun, and 264 rounds of ammunition. "

In fact, it was a shooting club he was a member of who finally got the police to believe that he was not all he said he was (they made enquireis about his alleged war record) - and thus his wife was finally believed.

He died before he could be extradited.
Mike2

#14 Post by Mike2 »

Does anyone know how many FAC's/SGC's have been suspended or revoked based on such comment?
Unfortunately there is no way of knowing the exact numbers, but certainly I have dealt with many cases where guns have been seized simply on the say-so of a wife, relative or doctor.
Sometimes the guns have been returned but more often than not they have not, and the certificates have been revoked - "just in case." as "there's no smoke without fire."
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#15 Post by Ovenpaa »

Mike, BASC will help in such actions, do other organisations also look after the membership like this? As an example are the NRA the sort of people that get involved in assisting members when they have firearms related issues with the police?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Robin128

#16 Post by Robin128 »

I'm on the committee of a club that has turned away about 10 applicants over the last 2-3 years because they appear unbalanced or have been advised by the Police that they pose a danger to the public/have a criminal record for violence, undisclosed on their application forms. One volunteered on appeal that they had a tendency to paranoia.

Even had one forging a doctors reference.

Ryan stood out like a sore thum to fellow club member on GT a few years ago.

And I will not get into the cover up of Hamilton.

As they say....not on my watch!

Rob