The "I've got a new gun thread"...

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Sandgroper
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: The "I've got a new gun thread"...

#451 Post by Sandgroper »

After about four months waiting for a 1for1 variation to be processed 8-) I finally picked up my Gen 1 (1998 build) Thompson Center Contender in of all things 35 Remington! I'd been wanting a Contender (or Encore) for years and really wish I done it sooner. It's a lovely and dare I say it, petite rifle. Compact at 32 inches long (with the muzzle brake) and light enough to held like a pistol. Compared to the T/C my Bergara BA13 (300 BLK) is a bit rough and ready. I would have been nice to get some extra barrels for it but T/C doesn't have a dealer/importer for the UK anymore and isn't planning to. Planning to load some ammo for today or tomorrow and give it goes later in the week...full power loads could be a bit of a handful but I'm mainly looking at subsonic up to 357 Max.
TC1.jpg
TC2a.jpg
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#452 Post by dromia »

What can one say Grant? Other than:

Phwoarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Always been a Contender fan since I used them in the pistol days.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#453 Post by snayperskaya »

Newly acquired 1915-dated N.E.W M91 Mosin, coming home once through the God awful Proofhouse experience!

_20200209_163251.JPG
_20200209_163404.JPG
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Bovril
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Phoenix range, Barnsley

#454 Post by Bovril »

snayperskaya wrote:Newly acquired 1915-dated N.E.W M91 Mosin, coming home once through the God awful Proofhouse experience!
That is a thing of beauty! I'm drooling!
Sandgroper
Site Supporter Since 2015

#455 Post by Sandgroper »

dromia wrote:What can one say Grant? Other than:

The next time I'm up in Brora I'll bring it with me for you to have a go. :good:
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#456 Post by snayperskaya »

Bovril wrote:
snayperskaya wrote:Newly acquired 1915-dated N.E.W M91 Mosin, coming home once through the God awful Proofhouse experience!
That is a thing of beauty! I'm drooling!
Thanks mate :good:

Compared to how it looked when I first set eyes on it I'm really plesed with how it has turned out.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#457 Post by GeeRam »

Forgot this thread existed until seeing it pop up again…

Although bought back in October last year, it is my most recent purchase, and as its just had its 80th birthday this week, I thought it was worth posting.

A Norwegian capture K98, made at the Mauser-Oberndorf factory first week of Feb 1940. Its a bolt miss-match otherwise all matching numbers, with an original sling and a nice bore. Its also somewhat rare, as it’s an ex-Norwegian Navy K98, which meant it was not converted to 30-06 in the early 50’s like all the other Norwegian service arm K98’s were, the KNM retained the original 7.92x57 calibre for its K98's. Even rarer still, the German stock markings show it was originally a Kriegsmarine issue rifle, so a double naval issue one! :good:
Its early 1940 manufacture date means it might be possible it was issued to the Kriegsmarine in time for the April 1940 invasion of Norway.
Attachments
P02.jpg
Sim G
Past Supporter

#458 Post by Sim G »

Sandgroper wrote:
dromia wrote:What can one say Grant? Other than:

The next time I'm up in Brora I'll bring it with me for you to have a go. :good:

.35 Rem should be enough for "anything" local..... ;) lol
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

#459 Post by DaveB »

As a response to the damned government 'stealing' my ARs and SKS (they can call it a buy-back, but a forced sale is theft in my book), I have bought a Mossberg MVP Predator in 5.56 mm and a Howa Mini in 300 Blackout to complement the Bergara B14 HMR in 6.5 Creedmoor. I turned in 3 rifles and bought 3 more. Just about everybody I know did exactly the same thing. So the net effect of their grandiose scheme when it comes to reducing firearm numbers = a big fat zero!
DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

#460 Post by DaveB »

DaveB wrote:As a response to the damned government 'stealing' my ARs and SKS (they can call it a buy-back, but a forced sale is theft in my book), I have bought a Mossberg MVP Predator in 5.56 mm and a Howa Mini in 300 Blackout to complement the Bergara B14 HMR in 6.5 Creedmoor. I turned in 3 rifles and bought 3 more. Just about everybody I know did exactly the same thing. So the net effect of their grandiose scheme when it comes to reducing firearm numbers = a big fat zero!
troutslapping

Here are some photos of recent acquisitions.