Ultra Long Range Shooting

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Ultra Long Range Shooting

#1 Post by Ovenpaa »

This article is 13 years old, has anyone shot at this range or know if it is still going?

http://membres.multimania.fr/shooter/di ... ngshot.htm

/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
25Pdr
Past Supporter

Re: Ultra Long Range Shooting

#2 Post by 25Pdr »

Never heard of it.

<Elevation settings must allow for barometric pressure, air temperature, front-or-rear wind, errors in sight graduations... and don't forget that changes in powder temperatures will alter muzzle velocity and thus elevation.>

That's not Rifle Shooting, that's Artillery methods. Among the many parameters we calculated, the charge temperature was taken into consideration in our calculations.I used to insert a thermometer in the cordite, although sometimes I forgot and it was shot out the gun. :lol:

BTW I used to do long range shooting...When I was about 10 I got my first air rifle. I used neighbors bed sheets to observe the fall of shot, it didnt really damage them but I could observe the hit. As I recall, I was aiming about 25 Feet above the target, also used to fill pellets with powdered match heads for night shoots, amazing flash when they hit concrete.

Well....I was only 10.
Ovenpaa

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

25Pdr wrote:Never heard of it.

<Elevation settings must allow for barometric pressure, air temperature, front-or-rear wind, errors in sight graduations... and don't forget that changes in powder temperatures will alter muzzle velocity and thus elevation.>

That's not Rifle Shooting, that's Artillery methods. Among the many parameters we calculated, the charge temperature was taken into consideration in our calculations.I used to insert a thermometer in the cordite, although sometimes I forgot and it was shot out the gun. :lol:

BTW I used to do long range shooting...When I was about 10 I got my first air rifle. I used neighbors bed sheets to observe the fall of shot, it didnt really damage them but I could observe the hit. As I recall, I was aiming about 25 Feet above the target, also used to fill pellets with powdered match heads for night shoots, amazing flash when they hit concrete.

Well....I was only 10.
So that is where my tax goes, replacement thermometers for you Artillery types :)

What distance were you shooting the air rifle? When we wer kids one of my neighbours used to shoot apples of an apple treee two gardens down, he used to aim for the stems so they did not have give away holes in them. That was probably 25 yards with a .177 and open sights.

I used to climb with an Artillery instructor years ago, we both climbed to a very good level and he had an even greater span that I have and could often outflank my hardest moves, so I took to telling him I had missed certain moves out. Heh - he clocked up more flight time than I did sometimes but he always went back and tried again.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
25Pdr
Past Supporter

#4 Post by 25Pdr »

Not sure about the range for the air rifle, but it was quite a distance, you see, I discovered that if you inserted some model aircraft fuel into the gun it would then Diesel, so much so that the gun, ( a springer) would recock itself. :o
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#5 Post by dromia »

25Pdr wrote:Not sure about the range for the air rifle, but it was quite a distance, you see, I discovered that if you inserted some model aircraft fuel into the gun it would then Diesel, so much so that the gun, ( a springer) would recock itself. :o
Aye, I used to diesel my air rifle with model airplane fuel too. Knacked it eventually. The recocking was impressive though. :D Discovered the principle through over oiling.

Ovenpaa, I have or have had information on that range as I was tentatively going to try and visit years ago but had forgotten about it 'till your post. Obviously I didn't go. I'll look, but the chances of me finding anything are slim now, I've had various clear out recently and would have come across it. I vaguely remember that I heard about it from a gun comic of the day.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Jenks

#6 Post by Jenks »

Nice bit of shooting here..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRaRCCZjdTM

Jenks
Ovenpaa

#7 Post by Ovenpaa »

That was impressive!
/d

Shed Journal
targetman

#8 Post by targetman »

I believe this range was, and maybe still is, owned by John DeHavilland one time leading light in the NRA.