Which milrad 'scope?

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Which milrad 'scope?

#1 Post by Ovenpaa »

My lad is looking for a 'scope, around 12-16X magnification with single turn drums in 1/10 Milrad's. All could think of was S&B however based on his reaction I suspect cost may be a factor... :roll:

Can anyone suggest a good alternative?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
lapua338

Re: Which milrad 'scope?

#2 Post by lapua338 »

I read somewhere that Vortex Optics are rather good... it may have been American Rifleman, Guns & Ammo or Tactical-Life.com... I can't remember exactly. Anyway, the Vortex HD 5-20x50 riflescope has a click value of 0.1 mrad.
http://www.vortexoptics.com/uploads/bro ... zor-hd.pdf
Innovative Country Concepts Ltd based in Manchester apparently have them available (http://www.icchunting.co.uk).
I haven't a clue if they're available elsewhere.
I thought that perhaps IOR manufactured a riflescope with 0.1 mrad clicks? A 3.5-18x50 according to the 2010-11 catalogue, which is available to download on the Border Barrels website. I have an IOR 16x42 on my CZ527 but that has the common 1/4 MOA click value. It's a very good scope and in 2006 was good value (around £340 from Austria).
I'm not sure if that's helpful or not?
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

I had not heard of Vortex so thanks for the link, I will wave it at the lad. A quick Google shows the company as USA based but not where they are made, they do have some very nice features as well. time to find some independent reviews.

Christel swears by her IOR, it is around 25X and the glass is as good as I have ever looked through. Hers came from Border so they may be able to order one in.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Scotsgun

#4 Post by Scotsgun »

lapua338 wrote:I read somewhere that Vortex Optics are rather good...
No they're not; they're s***. Mate paid stupid money to have one impoprted over and then sat next to me on a double highseat. The scope 'grey'd out' long before my Kahles did. He sent his Vortex Viper back in disgust.

I have a Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50 SF MC TT. I bought the Rapid-Z reticule, but i remember they had a Milrad reticule option. It's a very good scope.

I've also recently shot through a very good IOR tactical type scope. It certainly made me 'sit up and pay attention' - shot it out to 1300yds in poor light. A mate has recently mounted it on his 300RUM. Have a look here:
www.border-barrels.com/ior_2010.pdf
Dangermouse

#5 Post by Dangermouse »

Spending others money is easy!

http://premierreticles.com/

Have yet to see these on sale in the UK, but should you have time to check out the features they have many attractive qualities.
It has been several months since I last checked them out but at that time they had only good reviews,

DM
Without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation, of the massacre of mankind.
Forever Autumn, War of the Worlds.