Gun Safe Keys

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Gun Safe Keys

#11 Post by Ovenpaa »

Robin128 wrote:..and pray that the Police/CPS believe you. :ugeek: Guns gone, no evidence of forced entry into gun cabinets (house?). Wonder what insurance would have to say about that also? FAC in jeopardy.

But its just hypothetical. ;)

If the blanks are available a key cutter could make spare set.

Rob
Hence my original post and the can of worms... Regardless of what we do best we can hope is the cabinets deter the opportunist thief, if it is someone who is after firearms and specifically yours/mine/whoever surely the best way to get them is knock on the door early evening with a big stick and ask for them with menace, I suspect the last thing the police want is me taking a monkey wrench to someone.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Robin128

#12 Post by Robin128 »

Come off it Dave...its about compliance with the law and basic security.

All of your cabinets can be opened easily and quickly by a screw-driver on your wee key safe.

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!

And you open the door to anyone? Jeeeze...no way!....look thru the spy hole and if you don't recognise them, on goes the chain before unlocking. Back door always bolted. Alarm always on when we are out. And I live in leafy suburbs. The last thing I worry about is what I might do with a monkey wrench, should I get an unwelcome surprise in the night.

Dear me!

We just put safes into Gun Club for s1 weapons...3.5 tons each, made by Tann. I refused to be a combi holder thank you...guess who's door thieves will knock on first? Combi holders.

I used to audit security on large international banks...especially the off-shore deposit takers. Surprising how the security guards don't take their eyes off of one when counting the polo mints.

Keep the second set somewhere where no one would think of looking, at home. It would just take too long to find them. Simples.

:D

Rob
Ovenpaa

#13 Post by Ovenpaa »

Robin128 wrote:its about compliance with the law and basic security.
Exactly! Everyone’s security is audited at time of application for an FAC and then at intervals thereafter. Are the insurance company going to kick off over a theft as long as you are using BS Standard cabinets that have been viewed by the police if someone breaks into them? Equally are the police going to kick off for the same reason? I doubt it, however if the house is easily accessed and the keys are on the side then it is a different matter.

Ah... so back to stage one, where do we so with our keys? :roll: :roll:
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Convict_keeper

#14 Post by Convict_keeper »

From my experience usually the best place to hide something is to leave it in plain view :o and its one of the things we are taught when covering searching.

If johnny scrote see's a gun safe he would think now where would they hide the key, more than likely walking past the bunch sat on the sideboard.

Saying that I wont be doing that when I get mine though :oops:

CK
Robin128

#15 Post by Robin128 »

ovenpaa wrote:
Robin128 wrote:its about compliance with the law and basic security.
Exactly! Everyone’s security is audited at time of application for an FAC and then at intervals thereafter. Are the insurance company going to kick off over a theft as long as you are using BS Standard cabinets that have been viewed by the police if someone breaks into them? Equally are the police going to kick off for the same reason? I doubt it, however if the house is easily accessed and the keys are on the side then it is a different matter.

Ah... so back to stage one, where do we so with our keys? :roll: :roll:
Where is the confusion?

:roll:

Yes, the insurance Co will think seriously about not paying out on your claim if the crooks used your keys to gain entry.

Shall I tell you what to do with your keys in open forum Dave?....(Did that come out all wrong??? :lol: :lol: :lol:)

Yes, tell the Police that you keep all your gun cabinet keys in a safe that is (trying to be nice) less than the BS of the gun cabinets and see what colour they change.

If I were you I would buy a second hand combination safe from a reputable safe dealer, stick it in the cupboard under the stairs or even in the garage, and put all your cabinet keys in that, if there are too many to carry around. If not a proper heavy cash safe...what about a small BS ammo safe, bolted down in the usuaal way?...you know, the type of safe that doesn't have a flip off plastic cover over a crappy lock.

The Police have told BASC they are happy with the second set being hidden at home...perhaps not on the hall table where the BMW keys are left over night. :P .

Seriously, second set in an empty paint tin in the garage? Only don't tell anyone, except you know who, cos sh'ed never think of looking in there, but sh1t its now in open forum and you will have to think of somewhere else. :lol: :lol: :lol:

HTH

Rob
Robin128

#16 Post by Robin128 »

Convict_keeper wrote:From my experience usually the best place to hide something is to leave it in plain view :o and its one of the things we are taught when covering searching.

If johnny scrote see's a gun safe he would think now where would they hide the key, more than likely walking past the bunch sat on the sideboard.

Saying that I wont be doing that when I get mine though :oops:

CK
A whenIwassa for you...

I used to manage the audits of bank branches of the non clearing type that had to go bank in another bank after the days business.

One day, when I was learning the business and doing some sharp-end ticking and bashing, I was looking for something 'orrible to go in my report ( :P )...Wee little gal called out to her boss that she was going to do the banking. Up she got and managed to get as far as the door when I said excuse me, you are not going to walk down the street with a bag with BARCLAYS printed all over it?

The things one has to put in manuals.

A Tesco bag with an old cardigan was used after that, and changed regularly, the bag I mean, different time, different person, different route.

There was a pension in it. :D

Rob
Ovenpaa

#17 Post by Ovenpaa »

Hehe, our ammunition safes are just that, secure high quality safes, bolted together and then to a wall and floor and then to one of the cabinets that usually has 6-7 rifles in it, even assuming they are only half full they will still be holding over 1500 rounds, plus the rifles plus the cabinet plus the safes adds up to the wrong side of 200kg so they are not going anywhere in a rush. if someone does manage to rip them off the wall (which given the location is all but impossible) then they are welcome to them as they are a better man than I am. So the alternative is guess the combinations, you have three attempts and then they lock for 15 minutes, and they are to a BS standard as is the cabinet. we also have additional forms of security. so, apart from extreme violence (We do have 45kgs of Alpha male Weim prowling the house as well) how is one to protect firearms?

I am happy with what we have in place and it certainly exceeds some of the other systems I have seen. I guess we are different in one respect, we take our rifles with us when we go on holiday and you really do not want to know where DFDS secure them onboard :o
/d

Shed Journal
Graham M

#18 Post by Graham M »

All of this stupid palaver is due to that idiot solicitor who wanted to make a point. He originally told the police that his mother knew of the whereabouts of his keys in case she needed to gain access. The police told him that she should not have this knowledge but didn’t take the matter any further.
But being a pedantic sort of fcukwit, he wanted to make a point in law and brought a test case……………..which he subsequently lost………along with his shotguns.

Had he NOT pushed this case to court we wouldn’t have this stupid ruling and our wives and partners could have been given the details without any worries.
It makes me wonder why some people just have to touch the wet paint to see if it really is wet. :roll:
G.M.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Ovenpaa

#19 Post by Ovenpaa »

Robin128 wrote:[

I used to manage the audits of bank branches of the non clearing type that had to go bank in another bank after the days business.

One day, when I was learning the business and doing some sharp-end ticking and bashing, I was looking for something 'orrible to go in my report ( :P )...Wee little gal called out to her boss that she was going to do the banking. Up she got and managed to get as far as the door when I said excuse me, you are not going to walk down the street with a bag with BARCLAYS printed all over it?
I was working at a secure location one day and asked the sysadmin to enter a domain admin password to a server, oh it is ********* he replied. I was horrified both at the lack of complexity and that he had told me. Spotting the look on my face he grinned at me, pointed to the 9mm on his belt and reminded me of who I had to get past to get into the area I was in. ;)

Meanwhile my then to be wife (Who had been quietly reading a book outside of the place) was having to explain who she was, why she was where she was, and who she was waiting for to a whole load of burley types with SA80's :lol: :lol:

Best part was when she said she was waiting for me they disappeared on the spot.
/d

Shed Journal
Robin128

#20 Post by Robin128 »

ovenpaa wrote: So the alternative is guess the combinations, you have three attempts and then they lock for 15 minutes, and they are to a BS standard as is the cabinet.
Is your key cabinet the same standard as the Police quoted BS? Or is the lock not 5 lever?...ie the lock under the plastic fob. It matters not about the combination, it will be the weakest link the crook will go for. The key lock that overrides the combi that allows access to all keys that open all your cabinets.

Also, if not the required BS the hinges will be crap also.

Hope this is now clear.

Rob