Distance Sales Sticky

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
bofor
Home club or Range: Great WesternShooting Club

Re: Distance Sales Sticky

#21 Post by bofor »

Thank you...I will
John
    dromia
    Site Admin
    Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#22 Post by dromia »

You realise you have just broken the law!

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
    Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
    bigfathairybiker

#23 Post by bigfathairybiker »

Obviously the buyer hasn't paid him for the firearm, but only to transfer it to the RFD.
    The RFD then transfers the firearm to the buyer for a fee.
    Therefore the seller hasn't sold the firearm to the buyer without a slot.
    The RFD has waited until the buyer has a slot and transferred the firearm from the RFD to the buyer.

That is the way I see it.

In fact if we as shooters keep posting on here the interpretation of the law that the police and HO want then that is what we will get. Again,the shooter is our own worst enemy.

Every time we confirm ourselves what the police want we give them the ammo to force us to do what they want.

Mark
    Dark Skies
    Home club or Range: NRA

#24 Post by Dark Skies »

Sim G wrote:For those in shooting prior to '97 will remember this is how we went about it. Saw something in GunMart, called and did the deal, sent off your ticket and it would be sent back with your gun in the ordinary mail, straight to you...
    Ah, that brings back memories - I bought a Webley Mk. IV in just the manner you described. Happy days and a much more free country.
    "I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
    mr smith
    Home club or Range: Dundee Rifle and Pistol Club

#25 Post by mr smith »

Dark Skies wrote:
    Sim G wrote:For those in shooting prior to '97 will remember this is how we went about it. Saw something in GunMart, called and did the deal, sent off your ticket and it would be sent back with your gun in the ordinary mail, straight to you...
    Ah, that brings back memories - I bought a Webley Mk. IV in just the manner you described. Happy days and a much more free country.
    Yeah got my Smith 586 this way,can remember my dad handing it to me as he picked it up from the mail depot.
    Alpha1
    Site Supporter Since 2020

#26 Post by Alpha1 »

I bought several hand guns mail order back in the day and had them posted to my home address. But the World has gone mad since then. We now live in a different world unfortunately.
    kevinww

#27 Post by kevinww »

I've had an RFD request FAC to sign on rifle before they would ship it to the local RFD, this was the same week of the DPD debacle when they started there new firearms shipping practices. Ended up in an odd situation where I got FAC back by return of post, but rifle took 7 days. So i needed to notify plod that I had acquired firearm that I'd never seen as it was on my ticket.
    Pete
    Past Supporter
    Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#28 Post by Pete »

Ignoring the means whereby you eventually get your hands on the piece, how can sending cash as a deposit, or even full payment, for a gun that you've never seen and can't possess until the variation is granted, be breaking the law?

Pete
    "Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
    You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
    dromia
    Site Admin
    Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#29 Post by dromia »

That is what we are being told by firearms certification, GTA and BASC.

Having paid for something you have title to it, (part payment part title) and you can't have title to a firearm that you that you have no authority to purchase and acquire on your FAC.

If you feel their interpretation of the law is wrong then take it up with Firearms Certification, the GTA or BASC. They are the people with the answers as it is their agreed interpretation.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
    Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
    Mattnall
    Site Supporter Since 2016
    Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#30 Post by Mattnall »

When you pay a deposit on the firearm you have a legal claim to it, and in the eyes of the law you can technically have possession of it.

Don't get me started on the definition of possession as seen in the eyes of the courts and FA. According to previous cases you don't even need to be in the same county as the firearm to be in possession. wtf
    Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.