Bench Rest / Support Bags

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Polchraine

Bench Rest / Support Bags

#1 Post by Polchraine »

I need to get a set of bags to help my Grandson who wants to spend more time shooting with both an air rifle and shotgun.

He has a light frame and needs some support to help him improve and watching him yesterday, at 10m managed to get 9/10 within a 15mm circle.

Some of you will use bags of various types to help your shhoting and I need suggestions on which ones to go for and even where from. Woudl you suggest filled or empty and if the latter, what to fill them with - suggestions include, rice, kiln dried sand, polystyrene beads, cat litter (unused).

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

Re: Bench Rest / Support Bags

#2 Post by snayperskaya »

They may not be to everyone's taste but I make my own from a leg section from old combat trousers for a front bag and a sleeve section from a jacket for a rear one and they are filled with plastic injection moulding pellets I get from work and they work as well as most of the ones you can buy.I just cut the sections to size, fill them with the desired amount of pellets and then tie off the ends with paracord.......I've been using the same ones for around 4 years now with no problems and that's using them with the Dragunov and Mosins.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#3 Post by bradaz11 »

snayperskaya wrote:They may not be to everyone's taste but I make my own from a leg section from old combat trousers for a front bag and a sleeve section from a jacket for a rear one and they are filled with plastic injection moulding pellets I get from work and they work as well as most of the ones you can buy.I just cut the sections to size, fill them with the desired amount of pellets and then tie off the ends with paracord.......I've been using the same ones for around 4 years now with no problems and that's using them with the Dragunov and Mosins.
how much?
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#4 Post by bradaz11 »

Polchraine wrote:I need to get a set of bags to help my Grandson who wants to spend more time shooting with both an air rifle and shotgun.

He has a light frame and needs some support to help him improve and watching him yesterday, at 10m managed to get 9/10 within a 15mm circle.

Some of you will use bags of various types to help your shhoting and I need suggestions on which ones to go for and even where from. Woudl you suggest filled or empty and if the latter, what to fill them with - suggestions include, rice, kiln dried sand, polystyrene beads, cat litter (unused).
i've never used bags, I did buy an MTM rifle / pistol rest though, really like mine, and the club even bought some, so I don't always have to pack mine now.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#5 Post by Alpha1 »

I would also be interested to know what rear bags people are using. I have a Ruger precision fitted with a Shooting Shed rear bag rider that up to now I have struggled to support on a bag. Shooting from a pit doesn't help matters. I struggle to shoot prone I can get down but I need two people to get me back on my feet. lol
Alpha1

#6 Post by Alpha1 »

snayperskaya wrote:They may not be to everyone's taste but I make my own from a leg section from old combat trousers for a front bag and a sleeve section from a jacket for a rear one and they are filled with plastic injection moulding pellets I get from work and they work as well as most of the ones you can buy.I just cut the sections to size, fill them with the desired amount of pellets and then tie off the ends with paracord.......I've been using the same ones for around 4 years now with no problems and that's using them with the Dragunov and Mosins.
I like the sound of that and its cheap. I will show this post the Wife She has a sewing room full of Industrial machines. She is all ways complaining She is bored so She now has a project. (She used to do the machining thing for a living She is a Seamstress and a very good one. Made to measure suits, Shirts and gun slips no problem.)
snayperskaya
Past Supporter

#7 Post by snayperskaya »

bradaz11 wrote:
how much?
How much do they cost?, not a lot as I had an old jacket and trousers knocking about doing nothing.

Alpha.......I did sew up the Mk1 versions but found that using paracord to tie off the ends allowed me to add or remove filling if need be.

Will post a pic of them up tomorrow

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

Alpha1

#8 Post by Alpha1 »

snayperskaya wrote:
bradaz11 wrote:
how much?
How much do they cost?, not a lot as I had an old jacket and trousers knocking about doing nothing.

Alpha.......I did sew up the Mk1 versions but found that using paracord to tie off the ends allowed me to add or remove filling if need be.

Will post a pic of them up tomorrow
Yes please pictures would be good. :good:
snayperskaya
Past Supporter

#9 Post by snayperskaya »

Here are my bags, I can either use them front and rear or just double them up at the front.

For anyone that's interested the camo pattern is Russian Ryaska or "duck weed", which is a variation on the Danish Flectar-D pattern

E9A47E36-F23E-4179-A27D-AEFA395C5F7A.jpeg
47B90DE9-80E4-4AE2-89FD-3786F04EB565.jpeg

snayperskaya
Past Supporter

#10 Post by snayperskaya »

Also have this which doubles as a shooting rest and a cleaning stand......made from pallet wood, some laminated ply and a car jack and is weighted with steel plates on the underside of the base so it doesn't move.......why buy it if you can make it :good:
DC6E0CE9-AB0C-4DFC-8758-AE0917AA0AA8.jpeg
C3095F2C-26BB-42CB-9F22-5F46487FE795.jpeg