Rimfire Benchrest

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Sim G
Past Supporter

Rimfire Benchrest

#1 Post by Sim G »

Just a quick question, is anyone on here shooting Rimfire Benchrest at the minute? The idea appeals to me, but before I take on yet another discipline, is this branch of the sport as big an "arms race" as BR appears to be, or will you not be hampered by off the shelf kit?
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Robin128

Re: Rimfire Benchrest

#2 Post by Robin128 »

I shoot off of a bench rest at targets 50 yds away and most of the time manage to put 22LR tenex subs in the same hole. This out of a wee sporting cz452 sil on a Harris swivel with podloc and Nikon scope.

But I don't shoot competitively.

Great fun.

Rob
Sim G
Past Supporter

#3 Post by Sim G »

Mmmm, I do like the idea. My initial thoughts are really to do it on a "budget" so to speak. I sa a bloke at the club with an old Martini heavy barrelled, that had scope mounts and glass fitted. A real surprise how this 60/70 year old rifle could punch tight groups.

I run Tennex through my VQ 10/22 and I've got a couple of high end Leupolds without purpose at the minute so not looking to drop anywhere near four figures for a try at it........

However, a couple of hundred quid has it's attractions....
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#4 Post by dromia »

I'm not a 22BR shooter but there are a few of them at my club, It seems that it depends on the class that you want to compete in. The open and unlimited boys have £1000s invested but quiete few shoot well in the sporting class with their unaltered sporters other than a new scope.

This link could be useful:

http://www.benchrest22.org/home.htm

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#5 Post by Ovenpaa »

I read an article a while ago about a budget build Rimfire BR rifle a while ago, the author used a modified Martini action BSA with a cheapy 25X 'scope and home made front rest and did very well first time out, I think his budget was sub GBP250 and he kept inside it.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Robin128

#6 Post by Robin128 »

Sim G,

You'll need these basics then... if only to p*** of the straight jacket mob... :)

Did you misspell tenex on purpose? Tut tut! ;)

Rob

Scotsgun

#7 Post by Scotsgun »

Yup.

I started with a Martini action, BSA Internateional Mk3 which is great with a big heavy barrel, already set up with scope dovetails and very, very capable. I then moved onto an Anschutz Match 54 due to the stock design.

Resist the temptation to get into the money orientated arms race and you'll have great fun.

Almost forgot, i use Lapua Afficienardo.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#8 Post by Ovenpaa »

Scotsgun wrote:Yup.

I started with a Martini action, BSA Internateional Mk3 which is great with a big heavy barrel, already set up with scope dovetails and very, very capable. I then moved onto an Anschutz Match 54 due to the stock design.

Resist the temptation to get into the money orientated arms race and you'll have great fun.
I so agree with that last sentence. F/TR was supposed to be a low entry cost class but people have ended up throwing thousands of pounds at kit, in some ways I wish they could limit the expenditure and return it to a competition where it is down to how well you can shoot as opposed to how big your bank balance is.

I am curious about the 22LR BR side of things, do you have any pictures of your old and current setup?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Sim G
Past Supporter

#9 Post by Sim G »

Scotsgun wrote:Yup.

Almost forgot, i use Lapua Afficienardo.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

It was the BSA Int. that first fired the idea, but you know what blokes are like! Window shopping with the idea has currently generated an outlay that would a decent second hand car! :o

Back to BSA me thinks.......

Scotsgun

#10 Post by Scotsgun »

The BSA and the Mk3 in particular is a great choice for BR. It's stable, capable of great accuracy and above all inexpensive. The only reason i swapped was because i disliked the martini lever when re-loading.

My father is currently using that same rifle and is every bit as competitive and accurate.

I'll add one other point about the BSA. It's not ammo fussy at all - Eley Tenex, Lapua Afficienado, Noble G, it's just as accurate with them all.

Almost forgot. I use a weaver fixed 36x scope.