Rimfire Benchrest

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Rimfire Benchrest

#11 Post by Ovenpaa »

I started with a Martini Action in 1973ish at a 25 yard range in the attic of the local TA and look back on those days with fond memories, we were left to our own devices shooting cards held into frames with knicker elastic. Unbeknown to us the shooters with funny glasses were some of the top County/Country shots and they were invariably friendly, helpful and forgiving. I can honestly say I cannot recall a single lesson however to this day I look on gun safety as the most important part of shooting and always listen to the RCO so I guess a couple of lessons were learned. That and pay attention to which target you are shooting at!

To this day I think the MkIII International is one of the most beautiful looking rifles I have ever handled and I often go and check the prices out despite not having a slot on my FAC or place to shoot one.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Robin128

#12 Post by Robin128 »

"...invariably friendly, helpful and forgiving".

It's a pity all clubs are not like that.

I am a member of many clubs...have open invitations to several others, yet I have failed miserably, to change the committee of one club of old farts from turning away young shooters and from creating harmony.

It is so sad.

Rob
Ovenpaa

#13 Post by Ovenpaa »

Robin128 wrote:"...invariably friendly, helpful and forgiving".

It's a pity all clubs are not like that.

I am a member of many clubs...have open invitations to several others, yet I have failed miserably, to change the committee of one club of old farts from turning away young shooters and from creating harmony.

The club moved a few years later and I went to the new location with a view to joining again, I was staggered at the attitude of some of the members and committee and the hoops I was now expected to jump through. it was apparent to me at least that there was no way they wanted a 20 something in the club unless he was family and I quickly retreated never to return. To this day I still have a very jaundiced view of that club and it's members.

I do understand that gun clubs need to be selective when it comes to new membership however many make it all but impossible for new shooters to participate in the sport. Yes there are exceptions but unless you know a shooter it is nigh on impossible to start in the sport in some areas.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Sim G
Past Supporter

#14 Post by Sim G »

Robin128 wrote: I am a member of many clubs...have open invitations to several others, yet I have failed miserably, to change the committee of one club of old farts from turning away young shooters and from creating harmony.

It is so sad.
Likewise Rob, it is so damn annoying!!! Told the committee of one club I'm a member of, when they still voted to retain arbitary, mundane and pointless club rules, that I would wait until the Spring and raise the issue again.....

"Why? What's going to be different then?" they asked,

"Hopefully the winter would have seen some of you off......." my reply.

Didn't go down too well........ :twisted: :lol:
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Ovenpaa

#15 Post by Ovenpaa »

Sim G wrote:
Told the committee of one club I'm a member of, when they still voted to retain arbitary, mundane and pointless club rules, that I would wait until the Spring and raise the issue again.....

"Why? What's going to be different then?" they asked,

"Hopefully the winter would have seen some of you off......." my reply.

Didn't go down too well........ :twisted: :lol:
Class! :lol:

I am sure your club is not unique in this respect, we are lucky with our club, we only see the Long Range shooters and they just want to get on and shoot, my last club's chairman announced he could not see the the point in LR shooting. I know he was the chairman because he sat in the middle at the AGM's and said he was the Chairman. That however was the only time I ever saw him and I attended 90% of the shoots over three years. When four of us moved to a different club no one asked why, they just let us go. I would say us leaving lost the club GBP500+/year and not a single question. :roll:
/d

Shed Journal
Scotsgun

#16 Post by Scotsgun »

We all have clubs like that nearby. I think its a symptom of it being so bloody hard to get into shooting resulting in very few youngsters joining and the average club membership age just getting older and older.

I've excluded from from the board of one club with the stated reason of being too young at 28yrs, called a killer because i stalk deer and even had other members complain because i was wouldn't shoot competition cards!
Robin128

#17 Post by Robin128 »

Scotsgun wrote:We all have clubs like that nearby. I think its a symptom of it being so bloody hard to get into shooting resulting in very few youngsters joining and the average club membership age just getting older and older.

I've excluded from from the board of one club with the stated reason of being too young at 28yrs, called a killer because i stalk deer and even had other members complain because i was wouldn't shoot competition cards!
This is endemic and it drives me up the wall....putting it nicely.

:evil:

Rob
ptheta
Home club or Range: TFSA

#18 Post by ptheta »

I have an old Anschutz that could be persuaded to take a scope and would be interested in having a go at something like this on the cheap.

What does the bench rest part imply? Just an old bipod or front rest of some sort or do you also use a rear rest too? I've seen some of those fancy bench rests that are a couple of hundred quid with all the adjustments but I just have a cheap plastic MTM one.
The trakker

#19 Post by The trakker »

I shoot for club fun 25 bench with a cz semi ! & it does as well as most, with winny's . I have re-crowned , sorted the triger & keep her clean :)
Ovenpaa

#20 Post by Ovenpaa »

ptheta wrote:I have an old Anschutz that could be persuaded to take a scope and would be interested in having a go at something like this on the cheap.

What does the bench rest part imply? Just an old bipod or front rest of some sort or do you also use a rear rest too? I've seen some of those fancy bench rests that are a couple of hundred quid with all the adjustments but I just have a cheap plastic MTM one.

We need a BR man to answer this (Where is Vince when you need him!) A top of the range from rest is going to leave you with very little change from GBP750 or more.. However I watched a chap in Denmark last year using a car axle stand with the legs shortened and a piece of leather glued to the top with an army sandbag at the back. He shot incredibly well and just got on with it. I still believe a properly designed front bipod will also do the job and can be easily built if needed.

We can all too easily fall into the trap of thinking if it is anything less than the best/most expensive it will not work which is wrong. I try to remember the old saying "Don’t let perfect get in the way of good"
/d

Shed Journal