Rimfire Benchrest

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
The Gun Pimp

Re: Rimfire Benchrest

#21 Post by The Gun Pimp »

Guys,

The rules of benchrest forbid the front rest from being attached to the rifle so, in theory, bi-pods are out.

However all shoot oganisers want to encourage new shooters so they will not turn you away.

Like most shooting disciplines, if you want to be competitive you will need all the 'whistles & bells' but no one buys a three-grand rifle right off. We all start shooting what we have.

Have a go - see if you like the guys and galls who shoot benchrest, see if you like the discipline.

Shooters like the idea of trying a particular discipline but getting them to actually take part is a giant step!

Check out the benchrest website www.benchrest22.org (I think - Google it if not)
Cheers
Vince
ptheta
Home club or Range: TFSA

#22 Post by ptheta »

Thanks for the pointers. Can I ask one more question, please. Is a rear rest used or do you just use a front rest and pull the rifle into the shoulder?

I think I might have to print off some targets and have a go. First though, I need to persuade my club secretary that we need a work party to do something about the poor state of the benches on our firing point!

Thanks,
Paul.
The Gun Pimp

#23 Post by The Gun Pimp »

No, you shoot off a rear bag - filled with sand.

If you look at a few back issues of Target Shooter www.targetshooter.co.uk you'll find loads of pics of rimfire benchrest as we carried reports of the Europeans and the UK Nationals. Try the September and october issues.

Cheers
Vince