Pistol shooting - political

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
David Nimrod
Home club or Range: North Cotes Butts

Re: Pistol shooting - political

#41 Post by David Nimrod »

froggy wrote:
I seem to remember that the Tory Gvnt (pre-catastrophic Blair lunacy) was floating the idea of restricting hand-guns to 22lr that would be kept at clubs premises ?
I remember something like that too...

However I really can't raise much enthusiasm for shooting a .22LR 'Club Gun'.

Others may disagree of course.

I'd welcome *any* relaxation of the Law, but would only be satisfied by a return to pre '97 rules.
Please Wake Up Before Our Humanity Is Lost Forever
froggy
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: HPRP (UK) + Corsaires Malouins (France) + Czech Rep

#42 Post by froggy »

I appreciate what you say Nimrod but one has to face the reality of the situation .
BTW, technically speaking, all my Czech toys are owned by a club. I just happen to have subsidised them & therefore I am the only person allowed to shoot them. I don't regret for a second going down that way... :good:
Want to shoot pistol ? Don't retreat... reload & run forward !!
http://dynamicshootingcz.co.uk/
David Nimrod

#43 Post by David Nimrod »

froggy wrote:I appreciate what you say Nimrod but one has to face the reality of the situation
Oh, I do...

And not for an instant do I believe that full bore handguns will again be legal in the UK...
Gazoo
Home club or Range: Bishop Auckland

#44 Post by Gazoo »

It will never come back because we were so comprehensively stitched up and sold down the river by those very organizations who were supposed to be representing us at the time .
They, and we, all know who they are, they are still walking round in panama hats with the correct tie or cravat and will NEVER represent anyone that is different.
I didnt go to Oxford or Cambridge, don't have an old regiment tie, not a magistrate in the home counties and bisley is not my local range ....so I'm screwed.
I know people will say that this is negativity and we will never go forward by raking over the past BUT, they haven't gone away you know!!!
By the way laser target games do not count as shooting.
Alea Jacta Est
David Nimrod

#45 Post by David Nimrod »

Gazoo wrote:
They, and we, all know who they are, they are still walking round in panama hats with the correct tie or cravat and will NEVER represent anyone that is different.

I didnt go to Oxford or Cambridge, don't have an old regiment tie, not a magistrate in the home counties and bisley is not my local range ....so I'm screwed.

Agreed!

The English class system is alive and well.

And continues to oppress us, as shooters.
Kungfugerbil
Past Supporter

#46 Post by Kungfugerbil »

Gazoo wrote:By the way laser target games do not count as shooting.
Indeed - but that's what the ISSF and therefore British Shooting have moved to for some disciplines.

Playing Devil's Advocate (and it's most certainly not my personal view), what purpose do full-bore handguns serve in mainland UK? Not for hunting for sure, and using against humans is not encouraged. Obviously humane dispatch, but rules exist for them. Target? What distances are they shot at? If 10yds and 25m, air is perfectly capable of the same. The 50m and or rapid fire cartridge disciplines are obviously outside of this, but then that's smallbore...

I would be delighted if full-bore handguns made a return, but can you imagine debating it in Parliament?
David Nimrod

#47 Post by David Nimrod »

The last thing most shooters need, is a Devil's Advocate lol lol lol
pbrazendale
Home club or Range: MRPC

#48 Post by pbrazendale »

The frustrating thing for me is that the handgun ban has made no difference to gun crime in my opinion, if your a criminal with intent I'm sure you can acquire a handgun if you really want to. The issue for me is education, I would imagine the majority of MP's are clueless and would therefore just say 'No', if however you could somehow get your well thought out and reasonable argument across to the masses and maybe a section of the shooting community could do this, and we could get MP's listening or even attending shoots then we have more of a chance. We need a serious movement of people to get it going and even then it may never happen but you've got to start somewhere.

Sent from my boing using "An application"
David Nimrod

#49 Post by David Nimrod »

pbrazendale wrote:
We need a serious movement of people to get it going...
Can't see that ever happening in England... aaarggh
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#50 Post by Blackstuff »

Kungfugerbil wrote:
Gazoo wrote:By the way laser target games do not count as shooting.
Indeed - but that's what the ISSF and therefore British Shooting have moved to for some disciplines.

Playing Devil's Advocate (and it's most certainly not my personal view), what purpose do full-bore handguns serve in mainland UK? Obviously humane dispatch, but rules exist for them. Target? What distances are they shot at? If 10yds and 25m, air is perfectly capable of the same. The 50m and or rapid fire cartridge disciplines are obviously outside of this, but then that's smallbore...
5mith

Or you could actually do something fun with them....

DVC