Permanently attached suppressors ?

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
breacher
Home club or Range: EBSC

Re: Permanently attached suppressors ?

#181 Post by breacher »

AR15 has skirted around the "finished" word being added.

Anybody else wondering why they chose to add that particular word ?

Sim, you are particularly strong on "points to prove" etc - what eventuality do you think the word "finished" was intended to cover ?
http://www.phoenixtactical.co.uk

RFD 2043 Cambridgeshire
Gundoc
Home club or Range: Triple C Tactical

#182 Post by Gundoc »

Finished would mean a chambered barrel , as in in a fireable state.
My ticket lists 'firearms to be acquired' and it lists 6.5x47 Barrel.
Yes, I work for Lantac.
AR15

#183 Post by AR15 »

breacher wrote:AR15 has skirted around the "finished" word being added.

Sim, you are particularly strong on "points to prove" etc - what eventuality do you think the word "finished" was intended to cover ?

wtf
Finished, so that the item is complete, finished, not partly made, fully functioning.

fin·ished
adjective
(of an action, activity, or piece of work) having been completed or ended.
"a preparatory drawing for the finished painting"
(of a person) having completed or ended an action or activity.
"they'll be finished here in an hour"

Finished is being used here because they are only interested in stuff that actually functions in its component capacity. Unchambered 8'' barrel, NOT finished = NOT a barrel. Lower receiver without auto sear holes and cuts, NOT finished = NOT Sec5a component.
I didn't skirt round the word, I just imagined people knew what it meant.
Gazza

#184 Post by Gazza »

I would never be section 5 auth or any other section authorised. My arse would be constantly nipping as to whether the mod I'm doing is going to get me in the pokey for a bit or not.
Finished to one is not to another or even the law it seems. The legislation is far too messed up to be even sensible.
Bloke comes into shop and wants AR barrel chopping to 8" and mod welding on. As long as that barrel leaves the shop over 12" whats the problem whether you are section 5 or not but at the end of the day have made a legal outcome?
What happened to common sense and being able to excercise that common sense? wallhead
Some of the things I've read on this forum have made my p!ss boil due to the stupidity (although probably the only legal way) of doing a job so it does not for even a millisecond go into sec 5. People saying if it goes into section 5 it cant go back troutslapping Why not if its a temporary part of a procedure to make a legal sec 1 firearm? wallhead wallhead

As an aside I got told by an RFD at a well known Yorkshire shop that the 410 bolt action shotgun I was trying to buy off them could not be sold to me as a 3 shot because it had a removable magazine and therefor illegal. He classed removable as having to take the stock off (tools needed) then taking the mag off (tools needed) and then doing it all in reverse to put in another mag! troutslapping troutslapping I was sold the gun with no spring in the mag and a bit of wood in to make the follower flush so it was single shot wtf

Anyway, just goes to show that people interpret things wildly different at times and who the fook knows whos correct :p
TattooedGun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

#185 Post by TattooedGun »

breacher wrote:AR15 has skirted around the "finished" word being added.

I would just like to point out that the word "finished" was part of the BASC's commentary on the new legislation.

The actual term for legislation is "barrel, chamber or cylinder, a frame, body or receiver, a breech block, bolt or other mechanism for containing the pressure of discharge at the rear of a chamber – but only where the item is capable of being used as a part of a lethal barrelled weapon or a prohibited weapon."

The whole "finished" argument falls on it's face since it was a rather questionable word used in BASC's round-up, and not proposed (or accepted?) legislation.

As far as my knowledge of firearms goes. That would be any time at which a barrel has a chamber and threads for a specific firearm.

Please see the actual document I linked to for clarification.
breacher
Home club or Range: EBSC

#186 Post by breacher »

Thanks TG - I was not aware BASC had added the word.
http://www.phoenixtactical.co.uk

RFD 2043 Cambridgeshire
TattooedGun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

#187 Post by TattooedGun »

I think everyone missed it, which is why I felt it needed clarification. Probably due to the crappy formatting when I copied and pasted the quote from the document :oops:
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#188 Post by dromia »

This thread is now locked!

It has come close to it a few times but the diverging views are mildly interesting as an exercise in interpretation so it was allowed to run.

At the end of the day the HO are the people charged with interpreting the legislation, if you disagree then the courts will decide for you, at a cost.

However there have been some strong personal frictions, loss of civil debate and accusations. Non of these are endorsed by this forum and are strictly between the antagonists so to avoid further deepening of the obvious personal rifts which have soured the discussion the thread is now locked.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/