Permanently attached suppressors ?

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
breacher
Home club or Range: EBSC

Permanently attached suppressors ?

#1 Post by breacher »

Been looking at this subject ( the Lantac sub raven being an example ) of permanently attaching a suppressor to a sub 12" barrel to bring it up to 12"+.

However one thing concerns me.........

Several very experienced gunplumbers have said that any suppressor should be removed and crown cleaned after use as leaving the suppressor in place can lead to corrosion of the crown.

I would imagine you could reach the crown if suppressor can be taken apart from the business end but what about the non strippible ones ? The Lantac looks to be a non strippible suppressor.
http://www.phoenixtactical.co.uk

RFD 2043 Cambridgeshire
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Permanently attached suppressors ?

#2 Post by Blackstuff »

No corrosive ammo and a hefty squirt of general cleaner/lube after each session, and hope for the best? fingerscrossed
DVC
Ovenpaa

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

It is entirely dependant on how the system is designed and built and there may not even be an internal crown. :)

I built a sleeved over barrel suppressor to test a concept a while ago and it maintained a 300,0mm barrel length with reasonable results. It was also strippable so it can be done.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
TattooedGun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

#4 Post by TattooedGun »

I suppose it depends on the calibre too...
a .22lr is not very likely to clagg up a suppressor/crown, nor wear one away in to short order.
Most shooters at my club don't clean their rifles regularly, if at all (.22lr).
Whereas if it was an integral .308 suppressor, it would wear significantly quicker, and the muzzle blast/heat out the end of the barrel could cause issues.
Rockhopper

#5 Post by Rockhopper »

.22lr is a very dirty round compared to nitro powder in a .308 though.
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#6 Post by kennyc »

I was of the understanding that it was not a good idea to use a centrefire mod on a rimfire due to the amount of general crap and unburnt powder they blow down the barrel, I have also seen the damage that can be done to a barrel when mods are left in place! I would be looking for an easily strippable/cleanable system if I was going that route in any calibre
Ovenpaa

#7 Post by Ovenpaa »

My experiencing of rimfires is they are filthy things at the muzzle when a can is attached.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
breacher
Home club or Range: EBSC

#8 Post by breacher »

Thanks guys - it appears to me that a mod of the parker hale design ( screw off cap and strippable ) would allow the mod to be welded on BUT allow access to clean the crown with a long brush / etc
http://www.phoenixtactical.co.uk

RFD 2043 Cambridgeshire
TattooedGun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

#9 Post by TattooedGun »

I was thinking more about the burnt powder (fire/heat) that's going down a centre fire barrel and physically wearing out the mod, as opposed to building up a layer of unburnt powder. But fair point!
waterford103
Site Supporter Since 2018
Home club or Range: Aberdeen FBGC

#10 Post by waterford103 »

How about a permanently attached sleeve to achieve the legal length and a suppressor that screwed onto the barrel within the sleeve .
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933