New Club probationary membership.

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

New Club probationary membership.

#1 Post by Alpha1 »

I'm excited I applied to join a local club and I have been accepted as a probationer the documentation arrived this morning. At first glance the probationary criteria is really intense its a six month probationary period and that's about the norm any way and there is lots to it.
The 25 mtr indoor range is a ten minutes drive. It looks like they are pretty competitive so I may have to up my game.
I am looking forward to it. The fact that I am a established shooter cut no ice either if I don't complete the probationary requirements I don't get in.
Fingers crossed I don't screw up.
Les
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: WRPC

Re: New Club probationary membership.

#2 Post by Les »

Alpha1 wrote:Fingers crossed I don't screw up.
You'll be fine as long as you abide by all of the safety requirements of the club - which you obviously would do anyway. I am a member at two clubs. One has a 3 month probationary period, regardless of experience or whether you hold a FAC or not. The other will normally accept a FAC holder immediately as a full member, after you've put in 4-6 visits.

Good luck, but I'm sure you'll be fine. :good:
Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

#3 Post by Dellboy »

you'll be fine
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

Quarters

#4 Post by Quarters »

Sounds like they're doing an excellent protecting the future of our sport.
ColinR
Home club or Range: FCSA (UK), FDPC, NRA Member, Bisley

#5 Post by ColinR »

I was a member of two clubs when I decided to join one more local with an indoor range. I had already been a member of this club as a pistol shooter in the 90's and knew and was known by most of the committee. Still had to do a six month probationary, pass five specific firearm modules, Ruger 10/22, Marlin U/L, Black Powder, Full Bore and Shotgun, all the different disciplines shot at this club and then complete an NRA based test with a minimum score of 30 out of 40 IIRC. Not in the slightest arduous but ensures probationers turn up for each of the modules for instruction and then prove proficient at each and have it written off towards gaining full membership status. This is a very active club and I think we currently have around >35 probationers working to gain membership. Many are youngsters between 11 and mid teens who are trained specifically by an NRA qualified trainer. It is so good to see youngsters coming into our sport and getting first class training.
RDC

#6 Post by RDC »

That is good to hear ColinR. Am I correct in assuming that the test at the end for the different modules is for the SHooter Competency Card?
hitchphil
Home club or Range: Bisley - Mostly

#7 Post by hitchphil »

Alpha1 wrote:I'm excited I applied to join a local club and I have been accepted as a probationer the documentation arrived this morning. At first glance the probationary criteria is really intense its a six month probationary period and that's about the norm any way and there is lots to it.
The 25 mtr indoor range is a ten minutes drive. It looks like they are pretty competitive so I may have to up my game.
I am looking forward to it. The fact that I am a established shooter cut no ice either if I don't complete the probationary requirements I don't get in.
Fingers crossed I don't screw up.
I dont get it?...... your an established shooter with an FAC & presumably an existing club Sec reference right? so there is no requirement to do any probationary period let alone any structured re-training? only if you want to shoot something thats not on your SCC. Sounds like group think more than probationary membership to me? turn up here with credentials (that we might check) & you are welcomed & discretely observed to see your SSC is valid & you operate ok, if not helped & if you reject help you might not be sent the next fixture!

We are trying to grow the sport not make it more difficult to get into!? Is it an NSRA club they are the worst for this rubbish! :run:
Quality control of Scottish Ethanol. & RDX/HMX

& my fav chemical is :-) 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine.......... used to kill frogs.... but widely consumed & in vast quantities by the French? Eh?
stuarta
Home club or Range: Bicester Town pistol and rifle club

#8 Post by stuarta »

I have been shooting for over fifty years and have shot pistol and rifle in national competitions. Bisley is a two hour drive away and my club is an hour away so when I was recovering from a serious health problem i wanted to join a club in my town. I was made about as welcome as dog poo on a shoe, probationary period, range courses, black powder course, though I don't shoot black powder. After a year of the pain I gave up. If my health was still poor and it was the only club I could get to I would give up shooting.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#9 Post by Alpha1 »

I went along to night it was Ok its a very good facility. They made it clear the probatinary period is mandatory if you dont complete it you dont get in. I decided not to tell them that I am actually my Club Secretary. They mentioned they were short of Range conducting officers when I told them I was NRA qualified and also held a safe shooters certificate they seemed surprised.
I will go again its early days yet but it was not a negative expeirience.
hitchphil
Home club or Range: Bisley - Mostly

#10 Post by hitchphil »

Alpha1 wrote:I went along to night it was Ok its a very good facility. They made it clear the probationary period is mandatory if you dont complete it you dont get in. I decided not to tell them that I am actually my Club Secretary. They mentioned they were short of Range conducting officers when I told them I was NRA qualified and also held a safe shooters certificate they seemed surprised.
I will go again its early days yet but it was not a negative experience.
They are misguided. Credentials are quite valid - this sounds like screening people they dont like by using the probationary membership criteria. As a secretary - Am sure you are familiar with the HO guidance on clubs (reproduced here for context to readers)
- From the guidance on clubs - the probationary period may be waived, at the club’s discretion, for someone who is
already a full member of another club which has been approved by the Secretary of State or Scottish Government in respect of the same type or types of firearm; or holds a firearm certificate; or has handled firearms in the course of his/her duty in the police or the armed services, and has a statement from his/her existing or former senior/commanding officer saying that he/she is fully trained in handling the type of firearms in respect of which the club has obtained approval and is able to use them safely without supervision; (see notes 14 & 17)
NRA permit transfer of safe certificate between clubs too i.e. you dont need a separate one for each club & they do not apply to rimfire 22 shooting on NDA ranges.

I disagree with putting in place yet more hurdles to membership & participation than those demanded by law, commonsense should prevail. Yes demonstrate a real interest, become known & win confidence, also demonstrate existing competence but I wouldn't make a degree qualified engineer retake their exams to sign off safety on an aircraft? nor ask a time served fitter to make a exam piece!

Its patronising BS mate.
Quality control of Scottish Ethanol. & RDX/HMX

& my fav chemical is :-) 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine.......... used to kill frogs.... but widely consumed & in vast quantities by the French? Eh?