Expanding Ammunition

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
breacher
Home club or Range: EBSC

Re: Expanding Ammunition

#11 Post by breacher »

DL. wrote:This should mean that A-max being pretty good at expanding should never have to be argued about again.
The change has no effect on the requirement to use expanding ammo on deer.
http://www.phoenixtactical.co.uk

RFD 2043 Cambridgeshire
Duey
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Offas Dyke, Pickering, North Cotes Butts and Grove small arms

#12 Post by Duey »

Legal possession and legal use are two different issues
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#13 Post by Blackstuff »

So this comes into effect on 2nd May, when does the guidance on interpretation/a definitive list come out?? i.e. what is and isn't pistol ammunition? Originally designed for pistols? Primarily used in pistols? CAN be used in pistols?

.38spl and .357mag seem obvious examples of popular rounds where confusion could arise and I'm sure there are many others 5mith
DVC
Sixshot6
Home club or Range: Mattersey

#14 Post by Sixshot6 »

Blackstuff wrote:So this comes into effect on 2nd May, when does the guidance on interpretation/a definitive list come out?? i.e. what is and isn't pistol ammunition? Originally designed for pistols? Primarily used in pistols? CAN be used in pistols?

.38spl and .357mag seem obvious examples of popular rounds where confusion could arise and I'm sure there are many others 5mith
Currently soft point ammo like that can be used in tube fed firearms based on current guidelines, whether it extends to box fed mag firearms is anybodies guess.The Guidelines have to come some time after I'm guessing if it's in legal force though?
Blackstuff

#15 Post by Blackstuff »

You'd hope at least the police/FLD's would get the guidance BEFORE it comes into force so that shooters/RFD's etc can ring them for a definitive answer but as its a UK firearms legislation I'm sure the only way to make such a call would be on a unicorn crap powered phone 8-)
DVC
Blackstuff

#16 Post by Blackstuff »

I've just got off the phone with my FLD regarding another matter but asked about the expanding ammo in respect of pistol calibres. The information they have is that only ammunition designed for pistol use only will remain Section 5*! Therefore anything like 9x19mm, .38spl, .357mag etc etc which is used in rifles will also be S1 again :good: Opens up tons of reloading possibilities for pistol caliber carbines shakeshout

*They have a list of specific cartridges which will remain S5, he listed off about 8 and to be honest I think i've seen rifles in at least two of the calibres (albeit in US Youtube videos), but nevermind. All the common stuff is back to S1. Score one for common sense!
DVC
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#17 Post by dromia »

From a firearms certification department.

"Hello

Please note that Section 129 of the Police & Crime Act makes changes to the controls on expanding ammunition as from today.

The Home Office and NABIS (National Ballistics Intelligence Service) have clarified the below information:

From 2 May 2017 only expanding ammunition which is solely designed for use in pistols is to be regarded as prohibited by virtue of Section 5(1A)(f) Firearms Act 1968 (as amended).

NABIS has identified the following calibre ammunition which is solely designed for use in pistols:

.32 S&W
.32 Colt
.320 Revolver
.380 Revolver
.45 Auto Rim
.44 Automag
.50 Action Express

Any “Wildcat” special load pistol ammunition designed to used only in pistols.

All other expanding ammunition is to be regarded as Section 1 and should be treated in the same way as non-expanding ammunition with no requirement to add the expanding ammunition condition to the FAC.

In practical terms the majority of pistol calibre ammunition types we see on firearm certificates are dual use and can be used in rifles, commonly carbines, gallery rifles etc.

This means that the requirement to use the expanding ammunition condition on Firearm Certificates in the future is negligible and will only be used on those rare occasions which is detailed above."

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
TomH
Site Supporter Since 2017
Home club or Range: ORPC

#18 Post by TomH »

Henry Krank have put all the previously "licence Required" Sierra expanding bullets over with the normal ones. All except one 85gn 30 Calibre.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#19 Post by bradaz11 »

well this all looks pretty positive, I've emailed Avon and Somerset, to see what their answer is. as long as everyone is singing from the same hymmsheet we should be ok
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
joe

#20 Post by joe »

What about using the .38 / .44 expanding ammo in a lbr ??
I think that wouldn't allowed as lbr's are still classed as pistols !!?