The AN-94

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Sixshot6
Home club or Range: Mattersey

The AN-94

#1 Post by Sixshot6 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtMssTSnRHU

Didn't know they had one of these at the Royal Armories. Otherwise here it is, the legend, the myth, in the flesh.
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

Re: The AN-94

#2 Post by snayperskaya »

I would hardly call the Avtomat Nikonova a legend or a myth.....it has been in service, albeit in limited numbers, with the Russian military and police since 1997.The main users though are the FSB and MVD and is particularly used to defeat body armour using the almost simultaneous two-shot burst function.
Despite being very effective and accurate it was deemed to be too complicated and costly/time consuming to build and required twice as much training to be fully proficient in using/maintaining it compared to the AK-74M and as a result production ceased in 2006.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Sixshot6
Home club or Range: Mattersey

#3 Post by Sixshot6 »

snayperskaya wrote:I would hardly call the Avtomat Nikonova a legend or a myth.....it has been in service, albeit in limited numbers, with the Russian military and police since 1997.The main users though are the FSB and MVD and is particularly used to defeat body armour using the almost simultaneous two-shot burst function.
Despite being very effective and accurate it was deemed to be too complicated and costly/time consuming to build and required twice as much training to be fully proficient in using/maintaining it compared to the AK-74M and as a result production ceased in 2006.

I was trying for a bit of showmanship 5mith .

I was more offended it was deactivated but nice to have it explained and yes a great idea but sadly a complicated one.
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#4 Post by snayperskaya »

I'd be more impressed if they had one of these......the AEK-971, another design that was submitted for the ABAKAN assault rifle trials.

At one point Oleg at Rusmilitary was selling those factory made deactivated* AN-94's and I believe they were all sold in bulk to the MOD!.

*the Russian MMG factory "deacs" are made at the Izhmash plant as non-firing replicas, they aren't live-fire firearms that have been converted.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!