Educate me on Cowboy action shooting

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
breacher
Home club or Range: EBSC

Re: Educate me on Cowboy action shooting

#31 Post by breacher »

David Nimrod wrote:
breacher wrote:
Wearing it because it was cheap and hardwearing but camo / military style were not even on their list of requirements.
That seems highly unlikely to me... there's lots of cheap & hardwearing NON military/tactical clothing out there...

People that dress up like rejects from a Special Forces operation do so for a reason, well several reasons probably lol
By that logic - shooters who choose a Steyr Aug or AR over a wooden stocked bolt action .223 are the same ? Or Vepr 12 over a Remington 1100. There are "non military looking" rifles available so choosing military looking rifles, they MUST be doing it to emulate military personnel ?

I thought I had seen sectarianism growing up in Ireland - then I entered the UK shooting world.............
http://www.phoenixtactical.co.uk

RFD 2043 Cambridgeshire
David Nimrod
Home club or Range: North Cotes Butts

#32 Post by David Nimrod »

breacher wrote:
I thought I had seen sectarianism growing up in Ireland - then I entered the UK shooting world.............
Phew! it's only an Internet forum...

I have a black rifle (and even a rifle bag with the word 'Tactical' on it lol lol )

I don't care what people shoot, or what they wear, or what's going through their mind...

As long as they're safe, and don't stuff it up for the rest of us :good:
Please Wake Up Before Our Humanity Is Lost Forever
TattooedGun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

#33 Post by TattooedGun »

As far as I'm concerned, I own an MTP Jacket and Over-trousers.

I don't wear these day-to-day, I bought them with one thing in mind. Not to become a walter-mitty type, but because the stuff I would be doing in them, shooting and standing out on firing ranges all day, are part of what they were designed for. In Civvy-street, the only clothes designed for this purpose are upwards of £150+ for the jacket alone. For less than £50 I got a jacket and trousers.

Where possible I try not to wear them on ranges, for fear that I might be labelled as a wannabe-soldier. But when it's raining I DGAF and I'd rather be warm/dry.
breacher
Home club or Range: EBSC

#34 Post by breacher »

David Nimrod wrote:
breacher wrote:
Phew! it's only an Internet forum...

I have a black rifle (and even a rifle bag with the word 'Tactical' on it lol lol )

I don't care what people shoot, or what they wear, or what's going through their mind...

As long as they're safe, and don't stuff it up for the rest of us :good:
No but you are happy to pre judge a fellow shooters motives for what he chooses to wear !

So does your choosing a black rifle make you a "special forces reject" ?
http://www.phoenixtactical.co.uk

RFD 2043 Cambridgeshire
David Nimrod
Home club or Range: North Cotes Butts

#35 Post by David Nimrod »

breacher wrote:
So does your choosing a black rifle make you a "special forces reject" ?
Absolutely!

I've read all the books too (not!) lol lol lol
Please Wake Up Before Our Humanity Is Lost Forever
ordnance

#36 Post by ordnance »

Most clubs here do cowboy action shooting among other disciplines.

IPSC NI - Club Information - Northern Ireland Practical Shooting ...
http://www.ipscni.org/club_info.html
Listing of Shooting Clubs in Northern Ireland. ... Practical Pistol; Mini Rifle; PPC (WA 1500); Cowboy Action; UK NRA pistol matches (PP1, PP2 etc.) UIT; Targe
ordnance

#37 Post by ordnance »

Alpha1 wrote:So you need two revolvers an underlever and a shot gun. Yes.
Yes if you want to complete the course as its designed, and depending on who is ruining the competition.
Getting Started In Cowboy Action Shooting, Page 2, Revolvers. Revolvers: You'll need 2 single Action revolvers, one pistol caliber lever action rifle, and one side-by-side shotgun without ejectors or an external hammer pump shotgun (Winchester '97 or replica) or lever action shotgun (Winchester 1887 or replica)
Attachments
o1dD0bs.jpg
Kungfugerbil
Past Supporter

#38 Post by Kungfugerbil »

ordnance wrote:Yes if you want to complete the course as its designed, and depending on who is ruining the competition
There are however likely to be club guns available if you don't have the pistols or aren't sure if it's for you.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#39 Post by bradaz11 »

ordnance wrote:
Yes if you want to complete the course as its designed, and depending on who is ruining the competition.
Getting Started In Cowboy Action Shooting, Page 2, Revolvers. Revolvers: You'll need 2 single Action revolvers, one pistol caliber lever action rifle, and one side-by-side shotgun without ejectors or an external hammer pump shotgun (Winchester '97 or replica) or lever action shotgun (Winchester 1887 or replica)
you really don't, most BWSS members will even lend newcomers guns
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Lever357
Home club or Range: Louisa Centre

#40 Post by Lever357 »

DaveB wrote:
Over here there's a new genre of Western Action Shooting growing in popularity - came across from the US. The Wild Bunch - supposed to represent the turn of the 19th - 20th century west. Shot the same as cowboy action shooting, but using Colt 1911 pistols, Winchester Model 1897 pump-action shotguns and a lever-action rifle chambered for a calibre over .40 - preferably a Model 1892. Costumes are in accordance with the classic 1969 Sam Peckinpaw movie.

http://www.sassnet.com/wildbunch/
Now that does sound interesting!!! And fun!!!!!!
Remember, we're all here because we're not all there!