Firearms Smart Water Kit

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
kevinww

Firearms Smart Water Kit

#1 Post by kevinww »

I am absolutely annoyed and exasperated, I've just received a flyer through the post via a mailshot from the
Met regarding firearms safe storage and offering me a Smart Water Kit for £8.95.

The first thing that came to mind is they have used a mailshot company to send this out. So potentially a scrote that works for the mailing company will have access to a complete list of all addresses in the Met area where firearms are kept.
JimJimmy

Re: Firearms Smart Water Kit

#2 Post by JimJimmy »

You couldn't make it up could you. On one hand their banging on about increased levels of gun crime and the need for safe storage and security and on the other handing out lists of gun owner's names and addresses to third party companies.

Sent from my mobile using "An application"
TattooedGun
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

#3 Post by TattooedGun »

Aside from anything else, what additional security would dabbing some tracable liquid on firearms do in the situation where they are stolen?

Firearms related crimes carry a mandatory minimum of 5 years, so being caught with it whether it's got smart water or not, would get you in deep doo-doo. Do they think criminals would be put off by them being marked with tracable liquid?

Get real.

The security ramifications of this are astounding though. You're right. A list of firearms owners not just to the third party company, but also to every mail handler that saw these posters going out. Disgusting.
Pete
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#4 Post by Pete »

On the other hand, a pair of decent shotguns stolen to order for resale or as collectables might benefit from such a system.

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
TattooedGun
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

#5 Post by TattooedGun »

Pete wrote:On the other hand, a pair of decent shotguns stolen to order for resale or as collectables might benefit from such a system.

Pete
Surely any such stolen shotguns will be carrying a serial number which when trying to register with the force will be flagged as stolen...?
Polchraine

#6 Post by Polchraine »

And I received two of them!

At a rough guess they would have cost anywhere from 50p to £1 to produce and send - probably nearer £1.

An FAC renewal is £62 and a Shotgun renewal £49. A Co-terminus is just £65 or £3 more than an FAC

So, 30% of the fee paid to have a co-terminus certificate has been swallowed up by this mail shot.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
Mattnall
Home club or Range: NRA, Redricks TSC, BS1944RC, HRA

#7 Post by Mattnall »

kevinww wrote: The first thing that came to mind is they have used a mailshot company to send this out.
What did they say when you rang and asked them if this was the case?
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
kevinww

#8 Post by kevinww »

Mattnall wrote:
kevinww wrote: The first thing that came to mind is they have used a mailshot company to send this out.
What did they say when you rang and asked them if this was the case?
Matt, Didn't need to ring and ask as the envelope it came in gave the company name and return address if undelivered.
Pete
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#9 Post by Pete »

So have you put your concerns to the Met? There's always the possibility the task was handed to someone who doesn't appreciate the ramifications.

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Polchraine

#10 Post by Polchraine »

Pete wrote:So have you put your concerns to the Met? There's always the possibility the task was handed to someone who doesn't appreciate the ramifications.

Pete
Don't rock the boat too much!

I have spoken to BASC about this and they are looking into it and will speak to the Met. I will wait to hear back from them and see what has been said, then maybe mention it when I have the opportunity to speak with the Commissioner and her Deputies and Assistants in a few weeks time

There is also the Data Protection Act to consider ...

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.