Getting Land wording, without having specific permission...

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
TattooedGun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

Getting Land wording, without having specific permission...

#1 Post by TattooedGun »

I seem to be struggling to get any further on getting land to shoot over. I have had opportunities present themselves and when followed through they have fizzled out to nothing.

A friend of my dads was going to sign me off with permission to shoot over his land, however there was some issue with his issuing authority complaining to him that he'd got too many people signed off with permission to shoot on his land already.

A lot of the shoots, training days, social events I'm interested in joining require permission to shoot over land (not necessarily target ranges on ticket, which is understandable.) As such, they grant permission to shoot, only for the day of the event, again, understandable.

Is there a precedent therefore that I could get the wording on my FAC amended, in view to shooting on these type events so that I am covered to shoot over land deemed suitable (by the chief constable - if I reeeallllly have to...), in view to booking this type of shoot.

I'm looking, later in the year to try my hand at wild boar, and deer, so I'd need an amendment on permissions.

Is it purely down to having a booking with the appropriate people in writing in order to get signed off?

I'm finding the lack of wording on my certificate, is holding me back from what would otherwise be a case of "come down and shoot" to "can I get it in writing beforehand so that I can use your land as argument to get the permission added to my license", which I'm finding turns people on their heels.

Anyone got any advice?

Cheers.

TG
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Getting Land wording, without having specific permission

#2 Post by Blackstuff »

If you don't have a 'base' piece of land that you can start with the closed condition then work up to the open one then the only way AFAIK to get an open condition is to get a load of formal 'bookings' and present them as evidence for 'good reason' for the condition.
DVC
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Getting Land wording, without having specific permission

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

Not a direct answer however what I have found:

There is a standard shooting over land form that needs to be completed by the land owner/representative and sent to your firearms licensing. If they already know the land it should not need to be inspected. They can then make a decision on your suitability and condition specific firearms for use on the land.

As an example I am allowed to shoot .22LR, 22-250, 6,5mmx57and .308 Win on the land I shoot over and I have just applied for a S1 Shotgun.

The biggest hurdle is that first bit of land, once you have it under your belt the rest comes along, I was chatting to a farm manager recently, he mentioned crop damage from vermin and that was it, another 650 Acres added to the list. The important thing is to get out and shoot the land once you have the permission as you are effectively offering a service and the last thing the farmer needs is someone just collecting land without actually dealing with the problem.

It is also worth considering a shotgun as it can be a good start for the control of some vermin however shooting a Shotgun over land does not necessarily lead to rimfire or centrefire permission.

As an alternative join a syndicate, it will cost money however it is a start and some syndicates are quite reasonably priced. Also I have known people join a Syndicate as a means of being permission to shoot overland. One final consideration, you may have a mentor condition imposed on you once permission is granted and gaining your DSC1 may well help your cause.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal