European Firearms Directive already affecting the UK..??

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Fedaykin
Home club or Range: Cawdor

Re: European Firearms Directive already affecting the UK..??

#11 Post by Fedaykin »

bnz41 wrote:Went to an Arms and Military fair at Chatham on Sunday to buy some extra mags for a AK & Fal.

Was surprised to see several stalls had mags but they had been cut with a slot both sides at the top of the mag. I asked the trader why he explained that due to new EU regulations any rifle going to UK proof with a 10 & 20+ round mag in it had to have the mag cut, so he had extra cut so that anyone buying a rifle like a AK and wanted extra mags he had pre cut ones available. The rifles now have a bar through the receiver where the mag fits hence why the mags are cut to fit around the bar.

He only had 2 non cut ones for sale and were rusty.

The 10 round mags were in N04's & SMLE rifles and were cut.

Just ordered several non cut Fal ones from another trader.
Presumably for Deac guns, so Military Surplus fairs are going to stop being a good source for AR15 and AK magazines in the future wallhead

So 20 - 30rd+ milspec magazines are going to skyrocket in price from firearms dealers!
I am Arthur Frayn, and I am Zardoz.
I have lived 300 years...

I am immortal.
I present now my story,
full of mystery and intrigue,
rich in irony, and most satirical.
bnz41
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#12 Post by bnz41 »

Fedaykin wrote:
bnz41 wrote:Went to an Arms and Military fair at Chatham on Sunday to buy some extra mags for a AK & Fal.

Was surprised to see several stalls had mags but they had been cut with a slot both sides at the top of the mag. I asked the trader why he explained that due to new EU regulations any rifle going to UK proof with a 10 & 20+ round mag in it had to have the mag cut, so he had extra cut so that anyone buying a rifle like a AK and wanted extra mags he had pre cut ones available. The rifles now have a bar through the receiver where the mag fits hence why the mags are cut to fit around the bar.

Presumably for Deac guns, so Military Surplus fairs are going to stop being a good source for AR15 and AK magazines in the future wallhead

So 20 - 30rd+ milspec magazines are going to skyrocket in price from firearms dealers!
Yep thats why I posted can't get Fal mags from dealers they were £10 each now the asking price is £20-25 so if anyone needs any surplus mags get them now prices will only go up.
Sixshot6
Home club or Range: Mattersey

#13 Post by Sixshot6 »

Fedaykin wrote:

Now riddle me this Fedyakin. I've gone over the directive and it doesn't affect rimfire semi auto mags, the final version only mentioned centrefire semi autos (which puts long guns under the centrefire umbrella). The wording was centrefire semi autos long guns are 10 rounds unless authorized and short arms are 30/60cm that can be 20 rounds. Read the wording for that one carefully.
Sixshot6

#14 Post by Sixshot6 »

Forgot to add, the wording in addition to 30/60cm and being under for a short arm also includes not having a stock. Still should only affect centrefires though.
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#15 Post by GeeRam »

Fedaykin wrote:Hmmm Umarex a European manufacturer, I bet this will affect GSG as well. I own a GSG STG44 and sensibly got a second 25rd Magazine when I bought it. So European made mini rifle are going to face issues unless the manufacturers can be persuaded to make them for other markets or license out.
I was lucky and picked up the last 3 x 25rd mags for my GSG Stg.44 that Portsmouth Guns had in stock at the Pheonix Fair at Bisley in May...... had a funny feeling this might happen, despite what the wording was. kukkuk

Now, as for other markets, well the GSG Stg.44 is VERY popular in the 'ol US of A, and I can't see them being to accepting of not being able to get 25 rd mags any more.......so I suspect GSG will still make higher capacity mags for other markets.
The trouble will be getting hold of them and getting them to the UK...?
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#16 Post by GeeRam »

bnz41 wrote: The 10 round mags were in N04's & SMLE rifles and were cut.
What.............Lee-Enfield mags are affected by this nonsense :o aaarggh
Fedaykin

#17 Post by Fedaykin »

Sixshot6 wrote:
Now riddle me this Fedyakin. I've gone over the directive and it doesn't affect rimfire semi auto mags, the final version only mentioned centrefire semi autos (which puts long guns under the centrefire umbrella). The wording was centrefire semi autos long guns are 10 rounds unless authorized and short arms are 30/60cm that can be 20 rounds. Read the wording for that one carefully.
I remember that the wording was vague and loop-holey, in respect of Umarex a German manufacturer being over enthusiastic over the meaning of the directive is my gut feeling.

"centrefire semi autos long guns are 10 rounds unless authorized" - That gives leeway to national governments to work around it by stating that the magazine capacity is authorised under their licensing regime. I remember that Finland was spitting tacks at the idea of restricted magazine capacity! Also considering a straight pull or for that matter a lever/trigger release is not semi automatic the legislation wouldn't apply here anyway.

Oh to retire to Finland!

I am immortal.
I present now my story,
Sixshot6

#18 Post by Sixshot6 »

Fedaykin wrote:
Sixshot6 wrote:
I remember that the wording was vague and loop-holey, in respect of Umarex a German manufacturer being over enthusiastic over the meaning of the directive is my gut feeling.

"centrefire semi autos long guns are 10 rounds unless authorized" - That gives leeway to national governments to work around it by stating that the magazine capacity is authorised under their licensing regime. I remember that Finland was spitting tacks at the idea of restricted magazine capacity! Also considering a straight pull or for that matter a lever/trigger release is not semi automatic the legislation wouldn't apply here anyway.

Oh to retire to Finland!
It stating centrefire means umarex os being as you said are being over enuthasitic. I suspect enforcement will be spotty at best. It likely means seek alternative sources or more group buys from the states to justify the paperwork. For now we just see the mess that will appear for the next few months.
Fedaykin

#19 Post by Fedaykin »

GeeRam wrote:
bnz41 wrote: The 10 round mags were in N04's & SMLE rifles and were cut.
What.............Lee-Enfield mags are affected by this nonsense :o aaarggh
Remember if a terrorist got their hands on an uncut 10rd Lee Enfield magazine just imagine the slaughter they could perpetrate on the public!

Possibly a small bruise if they threw it really hard! The terror!

Oh that reminds me I need a new carving knife, better pop along to the local Tesco in a moment they have lots of perfectly good but cheap ones to buy. Local branch is 24hr so I can go sort it out anytime!

wallhead

I am immortal.
I present now my story,
Daryll
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#20 Post by Daryll »

Sixshot6 wrote:
It stating centrefire means umarex os being as you said are being over enuthasitic. I suspect enforcement will be spotty at best. It likely means seek alternative sources or more group buys from the states to justify the paperwork. For now we just see the mess that will appear for the next few months.
It will probably turn out like the US ITAR situation... US dealers won't send anything out of the US just in case someone decides it contravenes ITAR