European Firearms Directive already affecting the UK..??

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

Re: European Firearms Directive already affecting the UK..??

#21 Post by Dark Skies »

When the Directive was being discussed, or perhaps more accurately, railroaded through, I suspected that this sort of situation was on the cards - and that some dealers might be tempted to use the situation as an excuse to jack up prices - with knock on nonsense from the USA added to the mix. I also expected the UK government to cave in regardless of Brexit. Consequently I stocked up on mags for all my rifles (including my .22s); for once it looks like I'm ahead of the curve.

Wish I'd had the same presence of mind to stock up on Lee Enfield charger clips back in the day when you could see barrels of clips in any decent army surplus shop going for pennies. I'd have bought the lot as an investment.
Last edited by Dark Skies on Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
JammyGuns

#22 Post by JammyGuns »

I did the same tbh, even for things I don't own yet. Would love to be wrong this time though :(
HALODIN
Home club or Range: Oundle Rifle & Pistol Club

#23 Post by HALODIN »

Thanks for the headsup.
treetop
Home club or Range: Grove

#24 Post by treetop »

https://basc.org.uk/firearms/qa-latest- ... directive/

This make light work of it, but effectively, nothing much has changed for us in the UK.
Rem 700 6.5 Creedmoor XLR Envy
Rem 700 .223 XLR Element
CZ 527 17 Hornet - AICS copy
Various other calibre's
Sim G
Past Supporter

#25 Post by Sim G »

Dark Skies wrote: Wish I'd had the same presence of mind to stock up on Lee Enfield charger clips back in the day when you could see barrels of clips in any decent army surplus shop going for pennies. I'd have bought the lot as an investment.
How much are Enfield stripper clips?
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Dark Skies

#26 Post by Dark Skies »

Sim G wrote:
Dark Skies wrote: Wish I'd had the same presence of mind to stock up on Lee Enfield charger clips back in the day when you could see barrels of clips in any decent army surplus shop going for pennies. I'd have bought the lot as an investment.
How much are Enfield stripper clips?
If you mean stripper clips actually made by the factory (if they did manufacture their own) I'd imagine plenty over the average. If you mean, as I did, intended for Lee Enfield ... they're going for insane money, often a tenner for three!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... s&_sacat=0

I have around five hundred bought back in the late eighties - I seriously wish I'd bought up thousands of the things as an investment. Who knew?
Last edited by Dark Skies on Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dark Skies

#27 Post by Dark Skies »

treetop wrote:https://basc.org.uk/firearms/qa-latest- ... directive/

This make light work of it, but effectively, nothing much has changed for us in the UK.
Nothing much has changed in terms of physical possession and use etc. However, I expect we will feel the knock on affect of prices going up / supply becoming more difficult due to the affect on the European market and the costs linked to a dwindling market.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#28 Post by Blackstuff »

treetop wrote:https://basc.org.uk/firearms/qa-latest- ... directive/

Looks like BASC don't even know the current law! 8-)

"UK law already prohibits shotguns (regardless of loading mechanism) that have a barrel less than 24 inches (60.96cm) in length or is less than 40 inches (101.6cm) in length overall."

Er no, the 40"OAL only applies to semi-auto and pump-action FAC shotguns....

Anyway, until the UK interpretation of the directive is made nothing has changed.

Could Northern Optics have got a hold of the wrong end of the stick as H&K have withdrawn the authorisation for Walther to make the MP5 copies and hence no more are being made :bad:
DVC
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#29 Post by Daryll »

Blackstuff wrote: Could Northern Optics have got a hold of the wrong end of the stick as H&K have withdrawn the authorisation for Walther to make the MP5 copies and hence no more are being made :bad:
Could be, I hadn't heard that, I was just going by what Northern Optics said on the phone, that it was due to the European Firearms Directive...

That will be a bummer for all the European users of MP5 .22s, if no more spare mags or accessories are available.

... but it does mean they could go up in value as rarities.. :D