Your ultimate club gun choice

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Thorney
Home club or Range: Silverstone Shooting Centre

Your ultimate club gun choice

#1 Post by Thorney »

Ok, so we've an AI in .308, numerous .22 S&W 15.22 and a .223 straight pull, as well as an mo5 clone in .22 as well as a g40 and g44 in .22 but what would be your ultimate list for club guns to use?

I'm thinking g we need an under leaver, if so, which one and also perhaps a lever action?

Any other suggestions?
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Re: Your ultimate club gun choice

#2 Post by Alpha1 »

Club guns are a pain in the but. I would prefer it if we did not have any and people just used there own firearms.
Thorney
Home club or Range: Silverstone Shooting Centre

#3 Post by Thorney »

Alpha1 wrote:Club guns are a pain in the but. I would prefer it if we did not have any and people just used there own firearms.
Necessary evil for us really, we use them for the corporate and training days as well.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#4 Post by Sim G »

Alpha1 wrote:Club guns are a pain in the but. I would prefer it if we did not have any and people just used there own firearms.

And how would new members venturing into the sport conduct their probationary membership? How would the attain their safe shooter card to use bigger guns on bigger MoD ranges? And if none of the above was manageable, how could new shooters then apply for their own FAC and hence, own their own firearms?

goodjob Dave...
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#5 Post by Alpha1 »

We don't have any probationers our membership is full. The only time we have to use club guns is on guest days.
Kungfugerbil
Past Supporter

#6 Post by Kungfugerbil »

A better way to arrive at your list would be to consider all of the different disciplines you intend to offer.

I would also seriously consider multiples of simpler, lower cost rifles rather than a single dog's danglies example. Nothing worse than a punter booking and paying for a specific activity only for the rifle to have a hissy fit or break a firing pin with no backup.

Obviously if you're doing prone smallbore or fullbore T/R you would need rifles with aperture sights...if you're offering benchrest you would need scoped rifles, shooting rests and benches...if historics then an Enfield or two never hurt... Gallery rifles would require .38 underlevers and so on.

I would go for the most reliable and modest cost variants of each category, stuff with proven record and good spares availability.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#7 Post by bradaz11 »

Alpha1 wrote:We don't have any probationers our membership is full. The only time we have to use club guns is on guest days.
So sod the rest of them, we're ok??

Anyway, I thought you were a probationer yourself at a club and had used some of their club guns?
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter

#8 Post by bradaz11 »

Thorney, as far as undelevers go, if money is no object and you want to set up a local dealer nicely, then get an uberti 1873 in, maybe get some lightened springs in it too, then watch as all your members who touch it go and buy themselves one.

if you just want a couple of workhorses, then get in a couple of rossi's, but i would buy these in slicked up, as if you don't, no one is going to suffer through the break in period and it will be resigned to the back of a cabinet because everyone will view it as rubbish. once broken in, they are a joy to use.

If you feel a lever release is the way to go, then snap up that 9mm SGC that is for sale atm, if i didn't already have one, or it was in 45acp, I would have already.
froggy
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: HPRP (UK) + Corsaires Malouins (France) + Czech Rep

#9 Post by froggy »

For some reason, under levers seem to be crowd pleasers but what about single shot bolt action in 22Lr ? Cheap, robust & reliable, easy to clean, economic, accurate, ie : perfect for beginers.
Slap a scope onto it and the newbies will queue up to shot the "Sniper - Death from above - rifle" O:-)
Want to shoot pistol ? Don't retreat... reload & run forward !!
http://dynamicshootingcz.co.uk/
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter

#10 Post by bradaz11 »

froggy wrote:
Slap a scope onto it and the newbies will queue up to shot the "Sniper - Death from above - rifle" O:-)
I think their 308 AI might fulfil that niche a bit better :p