Your ultimate club gun choice

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Re: Your ultimate club gun choice

#11 Post by Alpha1 »

bradaz11 wrote:
Alpha1 wrote:We don't have any probationers our membership is full. The only time we have to use club guns is on guest days.
So sod the rest of them, we're ok??

Anyway, I thought you were a probationer yourself at a club and had used some of their club guns?
Yes I am a probationer I also have a firearm certificate so I use my own guns. Except for the practical comp were I borrowed a semi auto because I dont have one.
I am a member of another club that does not have probationers because the membership is full. We do have Club guns.
Thorney
Home club or Range: Silverstone Shooting Centre

#12 Post by Thorney »

With a new range its really hard to predict what will or wont be popular, the ranges are configured for all disciplines really, BR, gallery, practical so its case of what the public want to shoot - they can shoot.

For the corporate days we will use the S&W as the work horse, they work well and we know them well but the corporate days need variety hence a few items of other types of guns to use - under lever etc. Interesting that people say they are popular, if thats the case then I'd say we get 5-6 of the cheaper ones rather than 1 super duper nice one. We are an RFD so the plan is to sell of course but I cant see us wanting to be an all encompassing gun shop, who knows.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#13 Post by bradaz11 »

get ahold of a westlake too, yes they aren't the quality of a S&W, but they are better than nothing, and close as most in GB get to a normal size handgun. As it is a front stuffer, no arguements like you have with LBR's being club guns.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Sim G
Past Supporter

#14 Post by Sim G »

Alpha1 wrote:We don't have any probationers our membership is full. The only time we have to use club guns is on guest days.
Alpha1 wrote: Yes I am a probationer I also have a firearm certificate so I use my own guns. Except for the practical comp were I borrowed a semi auto because I dont have one.

...? :squirrel:
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Kungfugerbil
Past Supporter

#15 Post by Kungfugerbil »

Thorney wrote:I'd say we get 5-6 of the cheaper ones rather than 1 super duper nice one. We are an RFD so the plan is to sell of course
Absolutely. Add the same quantity of base model Ruger 10/22s into the pot. Can be used as gallery, practical, bench, plinkers... The best bit is, buy them new at say £380 a pop, run them for 2 years as club guns then sell them to overjoyed punters for £230 each. Such a low cost of ownership. The stainless ones hide the attentions of ham-fisted novices quite well :)

Get them in as RFD stock and keep them boxed until you need to use them for the club - then if you find you're only using 2 or 3, flog the others as new. If you went down that route I would add a brace of Ruger American Rimfire bolt action rifles into the mix as well - accurate, cheap and shares magazines with the 10/22s.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#16 Post by Ovenpaa »

A handful of CZ rimfires scoped with bipods, an equal handful of .357 Underlevers and I would look to Marlin for these, albeit reasonably costly they do run well these days. Add a couple of Rem 700 .223 and equally some .308 and finally add a couple of exotics or unusual types, maybe the Ruger PR and do make sure you stock all of the ammunition to suit.

I would look for new only and you should get a great deal from your chosen source, also you will have a warranty and as long as they are maintained and kept clean they should last for years.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
HH1
Home club or Range: PSA

#17 Post by HH1 »

I do like the versatility of my SCG lever release in 9mm. I shoot it on MOD ranges @ 100m, Indoors @ 50m & 25m. Also by using the LOS copper-plated bullets, I can use the shooting lanes that are posted as "lead only".
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#18 Post by Alpha1 »

Sim G wrote:
Alpha1 wrote: Yes I am a probationer I also have a firearm certificate so I use my own guns. Except for the practical comp were I borrowed a semi auto because I dont have one.

...? :squirrel:
Quote 1. I am a full member of a full bore rifle club in fact I am the club Secretaey I have been a full member for at least ten year. We only shoot on MOD ranges. I am a qualified NRA range conducting officer and hold a safe shooters certificate for all the diciplines I shoot. We currently have no probationers and no vacancies for any new members.

Quote 2. I discovered a club 10 minutes from my home that has facilities to shoot indoors they also have access to a outdoor range 20 minutes from my home and they also book MOD ranges. So I applied and was accepted as a probationary member I am in fact qualified to run any of there ranges as a RCO including black powder. The fact that I am an established shooter and a firearms certificate holder with my own firearms cuts no ice I am still expected to full fill the clubs requirements for probationary membership and rightly so. Its a great facility the people are top notch and it is very well run.
Thorney
Home club or Range: Silverstone Shooting Centre

#19 Post by Thorney »

Ovenpaa wrote:A handful of CZ rimfires scoped with bipods, an equal handful of .357 Underlevers and I would look to Marlin for these, albeit reasonably costly they do run well these days. Add a couple of Rem 700 .223 and equally some .308 and finally add a couple of exotics or unusual types, maybe the Ruger PR and do make sure you stock all of the ammunition to suit.

I would look for new only and you should get a great deal from your chosen source, also you will have a warranty and as long as they are maintained and kept clean they should last for years.
Thank you.

And to everyone
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#20 Post by GeeRam »

bradaz11 wrote:Thorney, as far as undelevers go, if money is no object and you want to set up a local dealer nicely, then get an uberti 1873 in, maybe get some lightened springs in it too, then watch as all your members who touch it go and buy themselves one.
lol :good:
bradaz11 wrote: if you just want a couple of workhorses, then get in a couple of rossi's, but i would buy these in slicked up, as if you don't, no one is going to suffer through the break in period and it will be resigned to the back of a cabinet because everyone will view it as rubbish. once broken in, they are a joy to use.
cheers :good:

Our club lever action is a knackered Marlin that needs a rebuild with some new bits, so we're trying to weigh up which is the more cost effective option......get it repaired or chop it in for a new Rossi for example.