DEACTIVATING!

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
HH1
Home club or Range: PSA

Re: DEACTIVATING!

#11 Post by HH1 »

Its bloody criminal to deactivate perfectly good shootable guns.... I hate seeing fine examples at the arms fairs :o
Christel
Site Admin

#12 Post by Christel »

rapidfire10ring, please check the link out before you post.

https://www.full-bore.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=7356
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#13 Post by Ovenpaa »

Yet again, I go to look for a specific rifle and they are all bloody deactivated.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Gundog
Home club or Range: Morecambe Rifle & Pistol Club. Sedbergh Shooting Club.

#14 Post by Gundog »

Before the pistol ban came into being one could make a case to the relevant Police authorities to keep a collection of same named pistols and revolvers, I fought long and hard to be able to keep mine on section 7(3).
Quite recently I placed them in the hands of a well known purveyor of Historical pistols to “sell” them, very reluctantly!

The whole point of my post is the fact that in my mind ‘Historical’ guns be it pistols or rifles “should be protected. The sale of my collection of Historic pistols is taking some time to sell, if I had them DEACTIVATED they probably would have all sold by now.

I like you feel elated to find a wonderful Historical piece but then to discover it’s been fecking DEACTIVATED!!!
froggy
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: HPRP (UK) + Corsaires Malouins (France) + Czech Rep

#15 Post by froggy »

War and Peace.. To see so many lovely looking rifles in the stores, simply butchered to be wallhangers was difficult for both of us!

Militaria collecting is very big hobby ... collecting firearms or to "equip" a manequin is very legit but also different from shooting them. One could ever argue that firing it might damage an historical piece. I am the proud owner of a "all matching" Kriegsmarine K98 and I rarely shoot it for that reason .
Keeping live firearms also has a cost & bring heavy obligation that deacts dont have. Some of the deacts are also not allowed in their "live form" .

Belgium has made a clever provision for such hobby & has created a "collector status" where one can keep live firearms for collection and keep only 1 live cartridge per gun, ie : the guns are stored in their original form but are never to be fired . this leaves the option that the gun can be bought by a shooter who will re-register it on his/her live shooting licence.
Sounds perfekt to me , but somehow, I dont see that happening in a hurry in sunny UK .
Want to shoot pistol ? Don't retreat... reload & run forward !!
http://dynamicshootingcz.co.uk/
Gundog

#16 Post by Gundog »

froggy I do hope I’ve got this wrong “ to equip a mannequin is very legit but also different from shooting them”, it quotes like you’ve gone to all this trouble just to shoot them, please forgive my stupid attempt at ‘humour’ !

What happens in Belgium would never be allowed here, that is the keeping of a “single live-round”.
What people may not be aware of is the fact that being the owner of a current FAC you can apply for variations for Historic pistols.

At the same time as owning a section 7(3) Historic pistol you can own the various components to make a round of ammunition, !!!But!!! if the components are put together you are liable to face a jail sentence.
As I said in my previous post mine were not DEACTIVATED and will be sold to people with the correct variations on their certificates, it’s up to that person to decide to keep at home on section 7(3) or keep them at a designated club on section 7(1) where they can be used for legitimate target shooting.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#17 Post by Ovenpaa »

Froggy, it was a Froggy gun I was after as well :(
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Tony-c

#18 Post by Tony-c »

I think a part of it is due to what I think is a slow down in the uptake of shooting, those coming in are more likely younger and perhaps got less interest in the older military rifles etc

I personally have recently seen a museum with S1 firearms put into storage, they no longer want to pay the fees, dont want the hassle of having them at the museum, cant find any other museums that want them, so she said oh maybe I can just take them to police station and get them destroyed.. 3 are Mosin nagants and nice rifles

luckily I have persuaded her that if they cant rehome them then I would like the opportinity to try give them away to clubs
just as I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel.......... I realised it was just my boss with more work and a torch.
Gundog

#19 Post by Gundog »

Gundog wrote:froggy I do hope I’ve got this wrong “ to equip a mannequin is very legit but also different from shooting them”, it quotes like you’ve gone to all this trouble just to shoot them, please forgive my stupid attempt at ‘humour’ !

What happens in Belgium would never be allowed here, that is the keeping of a “single live-round”.
What people may not be aware of is the fact that being the owner of a current FAC you can apply for variations for Historic pistols.

At the same time as owning a section 7(3) Historic pistol you can own the various components to make a round of ammunition, !!!But!!! if the components are put together you are liable to face a jail sentence.
As I said in my previous post mine were not DEACTIVATED and will be sold to people with the correct variations on their certificates, it’s up to that person to decide to keep at home on section 7(3) or keep them at a designated club on section 7(1) where they can be used for legitimate target shooting.

I must correct myself, keeping at home is Section 7 (1), keeping at designated club (site) Section 7 (3).
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#20 Post by snayperskaya »

Tony-c wrote:I think a part of it is due to what I think is a slow down in the uptake of shooting, those coming in are more likely younger and perhaps got less interest in the older military rifles etc

I personally have recently seen a museum with S1 firearms put into storage, they no longer want to pay the fees, dont want the hassle of having them at the museum, cant find any other museums that want them, so she said oh maybe I can just take them to police station and get them destroyed.. 3 are Mosin nagants and nice rifles

luckily I have persuaded her that if they cant rehome them then I would like the opportinity to try give them away to clubs
I could give a Mosin a very good forever home Comrade :D
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!