Unprofessional behaviour of Met FET

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
breacher
Home club or Range: EBSC

Re: Unprofessional behaviour of Met FET

#111 Post by breacher »

joe wrote:
walesdave wrote:Without trying to offend anyone I can't believe the 11 pages of comments in this thread.
If you can prove a need for a firearm, you can ask for permission to be granted and as long as you've met the legal requirements then the grant should be issued - I know it's a privialge and not a 'right' but if you've passed the hurdle of getting your FAC granted then the FEO shouldn't be making up rules just because they want to.
To the people saying 3 is enough, or 4 is enough or 5 is fine....but not more than I think is reasonable......how would you feel if in the future the 'limit' is set to 1...after all you can only shoot one gun at a time so why do you need more? And while we're at it....first grant should be for a single shot .22RF as anything else is too much gun for a beginner!

Give up putting other people down! **** If they've met the legal requirements then we should all be supporting every shooter, in every discipline, in 'rich' clubs or 'poor', plinking or long range target, CSR, LBP, blackpowder....it doeesn't fíng matter how many slots they've asked for as long as they've satisfied the legal requirements.
Firearms ownership in GB is still a qualified right (at the moment) it has never been a privilege
All FACs and SGCs are on a shell issue basis if you meet the critea ! Ie the chief officer of police cannot refuse you a ticket if meet the qualifications
Not quite.

You have a right to a shotgun without giving any reason at all. As long as its safe to allow you to possess it.

With firearms, you have to have good reason. And your good reason needs to be ongoing.
http://www.phoenixtactical.co.uk

RFD 2043 Cambridgeshire
Sim G
Past Supporter

#112 Post by Sim G »

And ultimately, all of the legislative provisions for the granting of a certificate is at the discretion of the Chief Officer. If for whatever reason he thinks you should not have a certificate, then you don't get one. Coupled with that, an explanation of a refusal "should" be given, not "must" be given. So the Chief Officer doesn't even have to tell you why...

Obviously is appealable in County Court.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Racalman
Home club or Range: LPSC and NRA

#113 Post by Racalman »

Sim G wrote:And ultimately, all of the legislative provisions for the granting of a certificate is at the discretion of the Chief Officer. If for whatever reason he thinks you should not have a certificate, then you don't get one. Coupled with that, an explanation of a refusal "should" be given, not "must" be given. So the Chief Officer doesn't even have to tell you why...

Obviously is appealable in County Court.
Yes, but this is "custom & practice" that has developed over the years. Joe is correct that firearms ownership is a qualified right. If you are a fit person with good reason then you cannot be refused an FAC. All the Chief Constable is doing is issuing the FAC to confirm the fact to anyone who has a right to know.
breacher

#114 Post by breacher »

Well in that case, instead of having a tantrum on the interweb, why did the OP not just take the matter to Crown Court ?

He was very fast to tell us how we we must all stand up against the authorities but his standing up consisted of an online rant and a bit of flouncing when 80%+ did not agree with him.

RFD 2043 Cambridgeshire
Fedaykin
Home club or Range: Cawdor

#115 Post by Fedaykin »

The real irony breacher is the 80% who didn't agree with him also gave good reasoned compromises as well. For example putting in for three or four rifles and the same amount of Moderators to allow an easy variation whenever the new member was ready.

I get the impression that his Gun club was made up of a small group of old members who over the years have added disciplines to their program organically with all members adding the type of gun and have now come to the rather odd situation where they are demanding new members to go out and buy seven or so different guns because "That is what we shoot to be a member".

If they want to be that kind of club they might as well drop being an NRA affiliated Home Office approved club and allow themselves to whither at the vine over the years.

The best clubs offer a varied program that allows probationers to discover what kinds of shooting they prefer without dictating too strictly what they should buy. Also I would be leaning new members towards guns that can be used in different disciplines allowing them to better make use of their money.
I am Arthur Frayn, and I am Zardoz.
I have lived 300 years...

I am immortal.
I present now my story,
full of mystery and intrigue,
rich in irony, and most satirical.
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#116 Post by GeeRam »

breacher wrote:Well in that case, instead of having a tantrum on the interweb, why did the OP not just take the matter to Crown Court ?
The OP wasn't the person being refused the 7 slots, it was a probation member of his club.
breacher

#117 Post by breacher »

GeeRam wrote:
breacher wrote:Well in that case, instead of having a tantrum on the interweb, why did the OP not just take the matter to Crown Court ?
The OP wasn't the person being refused the 7 slots, it was a probation member of his club.
Even more strange then that he needed to rant and flounce !

There is an old Irish saying - Either s*** or get off the pot waveirishflag

RFD 2043 Cambridgeshire
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#118 Post by GeeRam »

breacher wrote:
GeeRam wrote:
Even more strange then that he needed to rant and flounce !

There is an old Irish saying - Either s*** or get off the pot waveirishflag
Indeed.

Oh, and being half-paddy meself lol cheers
Racalman
Home club or Range: LPSC and NRA

#119 Post by Racalman »

Simple ... £££££££
Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

#120 Post by Dellboy »

Surely BASC legal team would help
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.