A win for law abiding citizens?......

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

A win for law abiding citizens?......

#1 Post by Pippin89 »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-g ... e-48941402

This article should be a win for legal firearms owners. The fact that it was easier for him to buy a gun and ammo online and have it shipped here than it would be to steal legally held guns should be proof enough that civilians owning guns is safe... However, I would bet my house that somewhere a politician or reporter (probably for the times...) will be using this story to try and impose a complete ban!
Like I said, it should be a win for us. But somehow it isn't....
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

Re: A win for law abiding citizens?......

#2 Post by Mattnall »

Jurors were also told one of Mr Davies' memory sticks contained details about ... obtaining a UK firearms licence.
So does most Police forces' websites.

I would dispute your assumption that it was easier to buy online. Maybe; easier to get caught buying online than [get caught] stealing one in the UK.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#3 Post by Blackstuff »

I wonder what (if any) trouble the exporter will get into as surely thats a massive breach in ITAR regs??
DVC
Pippin89

#4 Post by Pippin89 »

Mattnall wrote:
Jurors were also told one of Mr Davies' memory sticks contained details about ... obtaining a UK firearms licence.
So does most Police forces' websites.

I would dispute your assumption that it was easier to buy online. Maybe; easier to get caught buying online than [get caught] stealing one in the UK.
I don't remember the last time I saw a news article about legally held guns being stolen. And you know it would be all over the news if it happened.
In fact you have further proved my point. By the looks of it he actually looked into getting an FAC to legally acquire a firearm to carry out illegal activity. And decided it was still easier to buy one illegally from abroad.
Pippin89

#5 Post by Pippin89 »

Blackstuff wrote:I wonder what (if any) trouble the exporter will get into as surely thats a massive breach in ITAR regs??
A quote from somewhere said he bought it on the dark web so I don't think it was from a regulated dealer...
Mike95
Home club or Range: Harrowden Rifle Club

#6 Post by Mike95 »

If drugs and illegal immigrants can enter the uk by the kilo and by the hundreds, it must be logical that illegal handguns must be arriving by the thousands...load up your lorry on the Albanian border....Schengen...the criminals wet dream, allows you to travel freely to France....and then you smuggle the goods into the uk by lorry, container or boat....if you can get the goods into Ireland, a quick trip across the border into NI and a customs free trip into the uk...

Mike95
Chuck

#7 Post by Chuck »

Ah but some of the things you mention are openly encouraged to come to the UK illegally, they even send boats out to fetch them...guns don't fall in to that category..
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#8 Post by Dark Skies »

Senior officers manipulate stats to follow their own narrative? Shurely shome mishtake?

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/10/2 ... rms_truth/
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Sim G
Past Supporter

#9 Post by Sim G »

Five years ago...
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#10 Post by Dark Skies »

Nothing really changes in this respect. The link is valid as an example of the sly ways data is manipulated.

And with one bound he was free.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."