New laws coming?

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
JSC
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA

Re: New laws coming?

#1251 Post by JSC »

It's a proposal. It's not law yet.
David TS
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Grove Small Arms, LERA, SEESA

#1252 Post by David TS »

Brian838 wrote:Any reason given why enhanced security cannot be applied to MARS/lever release?

Be careful what you wish for.

It is then one piece of delegated legislation away from applying the same enhanced security to all Section 1 firearms.

In reality that is probably the next planned move to further stifle our sport anyway, to tighten up the Home Office firearms security handbook in general.
The Event

#1253 Post by The Event »

And today Labour added an amendment to introduce Crossbow Certificates.

Because of this presumably.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-46219653
There's always a new bandwagon to jump on.
BooBoo
Home club or Range: Various

#1254 Post by BooBoo »

Well, just so long as the 50 cal boys and girls are ok!

I wrote to all of the MP's backing that amendment several weeks ago now, inviting them to apply the same logic to both MARS and LR.

But then of course that is just a trumped up reason after all...

I doubt that any of our representative bodies would be able to fight their way out of a paper bag!
James84

#1255 Post by James84 »

So the bill is now through the Commons.

Time for the Lords...

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/b ... /18149.pdf
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#1256 Post by bradaz11 »

does NI still have self loading rifles?

also, with the whole knife ban, does that mean they have to pay compensation out for assisted openers?
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
JammyGuns

#1257 Post by JammyGuns »

Like the rest of the UK only in rimfire, not centrefire.

Handguns are of course legal though.
walesdave

#1258 Post by walesdave »

bradaz11 wrote:also, with the whole knife ban, does that mean they have to pay compensation out for assisted openers?
Reading:
any knife which has a blade which opens automatically—
(ii) from a partially opened position to the fully opened
position,
by manual pressure applied to a button, spring or other device
in or attached to the knife,
I'd say an assisted opener that uses a thumb stud on the blade = the thumb stud could be called a 'device' so the knife would be classed as a flick knife. In my opinion (non-legal and completely made up :good: ) if the assisted opener only has a flipper that is part ofthe blade, this could not be classed as a 'device' so would still be legal.

Interesting about compensation as the original Offensive Weapons Act 1959 never made possesion an offense - just carrying and aquiring, so if you owned a pre-59 flick knife and never took it out of the house and never gave it away etc. you were not breaking the law.....but now.....
After subsection (1) insert—
“(1A) Any person who possesses any knife of a kind described in subsection
(1) is guilty of an offence.
So I'd guess simple possesion is now an offense, even in your own home. Therefore, compensation would become payable.
(1) Subsection (2) applies if the Secretary of State makes arrangements for the
surrender of weapons under section 26(1).
(2) The Secretary of State must by regulations provide for payments to be made in
respect of weapons which are surrendered in accordance with the
arrangements.
FYI: I'm off to Poland next week where they sell cheap, crappy assited openers in a stall in the supermarket for 20 zlotys or so (about 4 quid)....time to fill up the suitcase and try and bankrupt the government with my compensation claims green55
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#1259 Post by Dark Skies »

Aside from making life inconvenient for anyone wanting to buy bladed tools for legitimate purposes, stomping on the property rights of the lever release chaps, and killing internet businesses I can't see what all this guff is supposed to achieve.
All of the proscribed items and their ill use are already covered in long-established legislation already in place.
And how do they expect further laws are to be enforced given the ever-dwindling numbers of police and the fact that criminals laugh in the face of existing laws let alone those as yet not in force?

It seems being seen to be doing 'something' (no matter how pointless) is to somehow distract us from the fact that policing has become so stretched that people are having to come together to form their own 'patrols' in some parts of the country.
I wonder what clever wheezes they will come up with when this latest intended piece of legislation falls flat?
More of the same or will they actually finally resign themselves to the task in hand?
Spend some of that cash that one would supposedly have if we truly are the fifth richest economy in the world.
We need more coppers, new prisons, eye-watering sentences to finally fit the crime with the removal of the automatic half sentence?
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
HALODIN
Home club or Range: Oundle Rifle & Pistol Club

#1260 Post by HALODIN »

In terms of knives, I assume it adds clarity for this explicit issue and guidance to the Justice system...