New laws coming?

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: New laws coming?

#1381 Post by Blackstuff »

Yes but the lever-release rifle calibre guns are 2-3x more expensive than the pistol calibre versions!
DVC
Pinguino
Home club or Range: Bisley

#1382 Post by Pinguino »

AIUI - Compensation was based on MARS + 50 Cal (assumption there was about 400'ish MARS and 70'ish 50 Cal). Figure did not include LR as these were subsequently roped in during discussion phase. There are around 4000 LRs I beleive and that would add one hell of a lump onto the compensation bill.
The Gun Pimp

#1383 Post by The Gun Pimp »

Pinguino wrote:AIUI - Compensation was based on MARS + 50 Cal (assumption there was about 400'ish MARS and 70'ish 50 Cal). Figure did not include LR as these were subsequently roped in during discussion phase. There are around 4000 LRs I beleive and that would add one hell of a lump onto the compensation bill.
Welfare spending is currently running at around £200 billion per year - 4 billion per week. 4000 LRs? Peanuts!
RDC

#1384 Post by RDC »

The Gun Pimp wrote:
Pinguino wrote:AIUI - Compensation was based on MARS + 50 Cal (assumption there was about 400'ish MARS and 70'ish 50 Cal). Figure did not include LR as these were subsequently roped in during discussion phase. There are around 4000 LRs I beleive and that would add one hell of a lump onto the compensation bill.
Welfare spending is currently running at around £200 billion per year - 4 billion per week. 4000 LRs? Peanuts!
Licensing of firearms is an even tinier fraction of that, yet it still doesn't stop the outrage at how much it costs the 'taxpayer' each year.

Regardless of that, there is a continued budget for welfare that is expected and accounted for. Compensation for things like this are one offs. If the estimates in the original business case are well off, there could well be problems as the much increased additional funding won't be approved.

That said, I suspect it's more a case of wishful thinking that pistol calibre LR will be left alone.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#1385 Post by Sim G »

Even if they paid out £5K (completely hypothetical!!) each for the 4000 LRs, that’s only 20 million. Compared to governmental finances that is nothing.

The handgun ban effectively came in two parts with two compensation schemes. If rifle cals are surrendered first I’d imagine that would be from purely an administrative angle rather than a financial one...
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
webb22

#1386 Post by webb22 »

Exactly my thoughts but that’s what I was told! Be interesting to see what happens next...
'Windage & Elevation Miss. Langdon - Windage & Elevation!'
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#1387 Post by GeeRam »

Surely not......

I can't for one moment imagine the Govt/Civil Serpents numpties have got their sums wrong, they are so good at it after all....... 8-)

Perhaps they let Diane Abbott do the maths? lol
walesdave

#1388 Post by walesdave »

I'm hoping to get 50 quid a piece for my assisted openers!
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#1389 Post by bradaz11 »

are AO's in the scope of this? i'm not on knife forums anymore
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
walesdave

#1390 Post by walesdave »

bradaz11 wrote:are AO's in the scope of this? i'm not on knife forums anymore
Yep.....now classdd the same a flick knives. No 'grandfathering' either so have to be handed in or destoyed. But very clear that compensation has to be paid......just no iinfo on how much or how it will work.....