New laws coming?

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Warky
Home club or Range: 8th Warwicks

Re: New laws coming?

#1241 Post by Warky »

Should anyone want to watch yesterday's hearing on the offensive weapons bill:

https://www.parliamentlive.tv/Event/Ind ... 605726b2b3

The first lady makes comment that many people including MPs do not have any experience of legal firearms use / ownership so it is always going to be a struggle to get them onboard unfortunately. wallhead
nunhead
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#1242 Post by nunhead »

Of COURSE they have an agenda -- - you must remember that they are a component part of West Midlands Police --- an area rife with criminality focussed on drugs, so weapons are a way of life. It niggles me that their name implies that they are an independant body.
They are well supported by people such as Groothuis, whose track record at Hampshire shows how unbiased he is.
JSC
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA

#1243 Post by JSC »

Just to follow up on my earlier comment, this is what was said in committee yesterday by Victoria Atkins:

" It is not our intention to unnecessarily restrict the lawful use of firearms, such as for legitimate sporting purposes; however, we are concerned about recent rises in gun crime and the changing threats and heightened risk to public safety. As my right hon. Friend the Home Secretary explained at the start of Second Reading, the proposals were based on concerns about the potential for serious misuse of these weapons if they were to fall into the hands of criminals or terrorists.

That is not to say that there is an imminent threat that they are about to be used by them, but in view of the threat assessment received, the Government have a clear duty to consider the need for these particular types of firearms to be more strictly controlled. However, the Government also recognise that the vast majority of people in lawful possession of firearms use them responsibly and that any controls need to be proportionate.

In line with the undertaking given by my right hon. Friend the Home Secretary, we should continue to listen and consider further whether there are other effective alternatives to banning highpowered rifles, such as requiring enhanced security for their storage and use."
Brian838
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Offa's Dyke.

#1244 Post by Brian838 »

shugie wrote:
BamBam wrote:With all these clauses introduced and then withdrawn the main issue was somewhat overshadowed.
It speaks for the future that those withdrawn clauses are the direction that certain MPs wish to follow.
Some of the female labour MPs definitely don't like guns. But then, given what happened to Jo Cox, they may have good reason.
I would have though the multiple knife wounds killed Jo Cox. They should have more hatred towards kitchen knives. 50 cal and mars would have had no bearing on the illegal .22 bolt action he also used. They wont even entertain that fact though.
BamBam

#1245 Post by BamBam »

Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#1246 Post by Dark Skies »

I've found reading the Offensive Weapons Bill amendment proposals makes more sense if you read them with the voices of the Haribo adverts playing in your head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57ujnhrnryc
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
The Event

#1247 Post by The Event »

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/b ... 1.1-7.html

New Govt amendments posted to remove the ban on .50 cal rifles.
MARS & lever release are still stuffed though.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#1248 Post by Alpha1 »

Rarms
Past Supporter

#1249 Post by Rarms »

Well done to the fifty cal boys :)
Brian838
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Offa's Dyke.

#1250 Post by Brian838 »

Any reason given why enhanced security cannot be applied to MARS/lever release?