New laws coming?

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
JS569
Home club or Range: catterick

Re: Response to Consultation on offensive weapons

#991 Post by JS569 »

The Lord Flashheart wrote:https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... tement.pdf

Paragraph 44 onward for conclusions on 50 cal and MARS rifles.

Reading through I could almost hear Sir Humphrey's influence on the wording on why exactly these things need banning...
Just read through, I know this has been going on a while but what's made the government get all worried about .50cal all of a sudden when there's never been any problems with civilian ownership? I can understand the worry about MARs etc given their relation to self-loaders (not that I think either are a problem). But I don't realistically see a reason to ban .50
Airbrush
Home club or Range: Nra

Re: Response to Consultation on offensive weapons

#992 Post by Airbrush »

JS569 wrote:
The Lord Flashheart wrote:https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... tement.pdf

Paragraph 44 onward for conclusions on 50 cal and MARS rifles.

Reading through I could almost hear Sir Humphrey's influence on the wording on why exactly these things need banning...
Just read through, I know this has been going on a while but what's made the government get all worried about .50cal all of a sudden when there's never been any problems with civilian ownership? I can understand the worry about MARs etc given their relation to self-loaders (not that I think either are a problem). But I don't realistically see a reason to ban .50
And here's the problem, there is NO reason to ban either but when shooters are prepared to sacrifice certain firearms the whole of shooting is threatened, simple as.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

Re: New laws coming?

#993 Post by bradaz11 »

A.J.P. wrote:
bradaz11 wrote:"any rifle with a chamber from which empty cartridge cases are extracted using- (i) energy from propellant gas, or (ii) energy imparted to a spring or other energy storage device by propellant gas, other than a weapon which is chambered for .22 rim-fire cartridges;"

so this leaves lever release alone doesn't it? as the energy imparted onto the spring is via the brass, in recoil / physics, rather than imparted onto it by the actual gas, unlike in the MARS which uses a gas piston
I'm afraid not. It's a relatively decently worded catch-all piece of proposed legislation and will affect the blowback PCC SGC, the 223/308 SGC and the CCA MARS.
PCC?
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

#994 Post by WelshShooter »

Pistol Calibre Carbine I think?
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#995 Post by bradaz11 »

ahhh, yeah that could make sense.

I don't see how blowback extracts using proppelent gas acting on a spring though. Sure, it gets ready to reload using a spring. but take that buffer spring out, and the case will still extract, unlike in an AK or AR type recoil op firearm, where if you plug the gas port, it will just stay locked up.

"any rifle with a chamber from which empty cartridge cases are extracted using- (i) energy from propellant gas, or (ii) energy imparted to a spring or other energy storage device by propellant gas
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
JSC
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA

#996 Post by JSC »

What they are covering is any mechanism which uses gas to carry out the operation of removing or assisting the removal of the case.

In other words, they want you to input the energy required into extracting the case, because (in their opinion) that method leads to a higher rate of fire.
Last edited by JSC on Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HALODIN
Home club or Range: Oundle Rifle & Pistol Club

#997 Post by HALODIN »

I would say anything blowback will be included in the bill except .22LR, which is why they caveat their statement with "other than a weapon which is chambered for .22 rim-fire cartridges."

This makes me want to buy a 9LR even more.
HALODIN
Home club or Range: Oundle Rifle & Pistol Club

#998 Post by HALODIN »

PM sent.
mr smith wrote:As someone who was about to put my lever release up for sale just as the consultation was announced this uncertainty and the length of time it takes for this sort of thing to run has been a right pain in the whatsit.Obviously as a shooter my preference would be to stay as they are and I could move my gun on but I'm currently stuck with a gun I don't want nor need.
Cj10

#999 Post by Cj10 »

Reading the relevant extracts of the bill relating to compensation as 45acp/ 9mm .223 ammunition, brass, dies, etc can still continue to be used with a legal firearm then they will not be covered.

Clearly the value of these and other accessories will depreciate significantly and will have virtually nil value to me, with compensation only payable for my lever release itself.

Fun times :(
A.J.P.

#1000 Post by A.J.P. »

Cj10 wrote:Reading the relevant extracts of the bill relating to compensation as 45acp/ 9mm .223 ammunition, brass, dies, etc can still continue to be used with a legal firearm then they will not be covered.

Clearly the value of these and other accessories will depreciate significantly and will have virtually nil value to me, with compensation only payable for my lever release itself.

Fun times :(
FYI:

(3)Regulations under subsection (1) must provide that a payment may only be
made to a person making a claim which meets—
(a)condition A, and
(b)where the claim is made in respect of ancillary equipment which is
ammunition, condition B.

(4)Condition A is that the person making the claim had the ancillary equipment
to which the claim relates in their possession—
(a)on or immediately before 20th June 2018, or
(b)after that date because they purchased it by virtue of a contract entered
35into on or before that date.
(5)Condition B is that the possession of the ammunition by the person making the
claim was, at all material times, lawful by virtue of a firearm certificate held by
them or by virtue of being a registered firearms dealer.

I believe that much of the language in this section is designed to preclude items such as optics.