New laws coming?

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Rearlugs

Re: New laws coming?

#1051 Post by Rearlugs »

Nelly2014 wrote: It infuriates me that spineless apathy by gun owners and shooting organisations has resulted in the most ludicrous and embarrassing firearms laws in the world.

"Spineless apathy"?

I think its more like "utter helplessness". Just look at how government works in this country; there is effectively no political representation for any minority group that is off the approved political spectrum - and especially one that is overtly demonised by the main stream media and public bodies such as the police.

If you think shooting sports appears on any political radar apart from as a source of cheap votes and tokenism through additional bans and restrictions, let me give you an anecdote:

I was once in a seminar with a junior defence minister. The audience - army officers - pressed him as to why he couldn't do something about the endless cuts and loss of capability.

His reply was along the lines of "I've been part of the government for three years, and in that time I've been allowed to speak to the PM for a total of about 10 minutes."

He then went on to say: "Let me tell you some political reality about where priorities are in government. This is the NHS." (holds his hand 3ft apart) "Education" (hands 2ft apart) "welfare" (2ft apart) "now this is defence" (holds his thumb and forefinger about an inch apart) "That is why it is pointless berating me about this and that cut!".

Sad, but true.
Pete
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#1052 Post by Pete »

Well, I was talking to a German shooter recently, and from what he told me, we actually have it pretty cushy here.
For example, when he needs powder for reloading, it's a 50km trip each way, and he's only allowed to transport 1 kg in his car................if he wants to shoot at any distance over 300m, his club has to bid for access to a military range which is typically allowed once a year.
He can't have any military calibre rifles, so 308 is OK but not 7.62...........I could go on.

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Dellboy
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

#1053 Post by Dellboy »

Blackstuff wrote:
Hunter87 wrote:
Blackstuff wrote:One thing i do know for sure, unless specifically required for compensation purposes, they won't be getting a complete rifle. I'll be stripping any non-licensed parts off it, giving the dissassembled licensed parts in a bag and it'll all be getting painted bright pink/yellow/orange, i'm not having my rifle paraded around on the news with some beaming MP pr!ck showing off a 'scary' looking gun "Look at these terrifying weapons we've taken off the street" 8-)
Bend the barrel at a 90 degree angle for a laugh
I did think about that but they'd probably try to do me for having a 'short firearm' or not deactivating it properly 8-)

FYI there is no conspriacy theory regarding removing firearms from the public amongst political parties. There is a very real conspriacy in Whitehall to do it and its wish/shopping list is freely available to view, here's submission from Colin Greenwood that includes it;

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/c ... 95ap25.htm

long read about them playing the long game .

As you can see they're slowly but surely ticking them all off the list ****
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

JSC
Home club or Range: NRA

#1054 Post by JSC »

I see from news today that the Police are on some sort of publicity campaign highlighting the 'rise of gun crime'.

No doubt nicely timed to coincide with the second reading of the Bill on Wednesday.
ordnance

#1055 Post by ordnance »

bradaz11 wrote:
ordnance wrote:airlock system. ?
multiple controlled doors, outer door can't open until inner is shut ect

Sounds like fort Knox. Our club house is a portacabin with a Yale lock system.
kevinww

#1056 Post by kevinww »

Just been looking on NSRA site for a bit of info, and came across something even more interesting.

http://www.nsra.co.uk/index.php/news/ad ... ngham-2022

Seems there is debate in parliament on 27th June, relating to shooting not being on the program at Birmingham commonwealth
games, so could bring out a few positives of shooting before the crock crime bill gets read.
Brian838
Home club or Range: Offa's Dyke.

#1057 Post by Brian838 »

I got this reply back from my MP’s PA. Seems a bit too late to ask questions after the debate though.

Good morning Brian,
Thank you for time last Friday, it was lovely to meet you.
I have spoken with Michelle about her involvement in the Offensive Weapons Bill debate tomorrow and unfortunately she cannot attend due to parliamentary business. However, she will meet with Ministers to ask your questions.
I hope this is of assistance and I apologise for any inconvenience caused.
Kind regards,
Holly

Hi Michelle,
Sorry to bombard you with all these emails in such a short space of time, but I've just been made aware that the Offensive Weapons Bill gets its second reading in Parliament this Wednesday 27th June, so time is of the essence.
I believe this is where MPs get to debate and propose amendments, so this would be the opportunity to question the parts of the bill relating to additional laws on firearms.
I know we took notes during our meeting on Friday, but if you are in Parliament on Wednesday, could you also ask the minister proposing the bill the following -

(a) What are the details of the NCA / police Risk Assessments that apparently have identified .50 calibre / MARS rifles as particular risks to public safety

(b) what reductions in firearms crime are expected as a result of the prohibitions

(c) What is the incidence of these and other legally held rifles being used in crime; and

(d) Why are the strict rules on the granting of Firearm Certificates are deemed insufficient in the case of .50 calibre, MARS and lever release rifles.

This part of the Bill that relates to firearms, if unchallenged, risks setting a dangerous precedent for the shooting community as it proposes banning certain firearms without any evidence or credible justification.
Kind regards,
Brian.
JSC

#1058 Post by JSC »

There's still plenty of opportunity after the second reading tomorrow for clauses in the Bill to be amended or removed, so we still need to find some MPs on our side who will challenge this as the process continues and if it moves to committee stage I hope the likes of the BASC/BSSC/FCSA/NRA can be there to put up a fight.

A little more information and proactivity from them would be helpful right now.
BamBam

#1059 Post by BamBam »

BASC posted on FB this morning, they've briefed MPs on the bill, see where that gets us.
Dark Skies

#1060 Post by Dark Skies »

JSC wrote:I see from news today that the Police are on some sort of publicity campaign highlighting the 'rise of gun crime'.

No doubt nicely timed to coincide with the second reading of the Bill on Wednesday.
Comes as no surprise. As I've said before, these days their police - not our police
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."