New laws coming?

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Cj10

Re: New laws coming?

#1001 Post by Cj10 »

A.J.P. wrote:
Cj10 wrote:Reading the relevant extracts of the bill relating to compensation as 45acp/ 9mm .223 ammunition, brass, dies, etc can still continue to be used with a legal firearm then they will not be covered.

Clearly the value of these and other accessories will depreciate significantly and will have virtually nil value to me, with compensation only payable for my lever release itself.

Fun times :(
FYI:

(3)Regulations under subsection (1) must provide that a payment may only be
made to a person making a claim which meets—
(a)condition A, and
(b)where the claim is made in respect of ancillary equipment which is
ammunition, condition B.

(4)Condition A is that the person making the claim had the ancillary equipment
to which the claim relates in their possession—
(a)on or immediately before 20th June 2018, or
(b)after that date because they purchased it by virtue of a contract entered
35into on or before that date.
(5)Condition B is that the possession of the ammunition by the person making the
claim was, at all material times, lawful by virtue of a firearm certificate held by
them or by virtue of being a registered firearms dealer.

I believe that much of the language in this section is designed to preclude items such as optics.
Thanks. I believe the following means only reloading consumables, dies, equipment and accessories relating to firearms which generate in excess of 13600 joules will be compensated. (My bold)
In subsection (1) “ancillary equipment” means equipment, other than
prohibited ammunition, which—
(a)is designed or adapted for use in connection with firearms prohibited
by virtue of section 28 or 29, and
(b)has no practicable use in connection with any firearm which is not a prohibited weapon.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#1002 Post by Sim G »

If I’d thought for a second that “bump stocks” were legal, I would have had one years ago!!!!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
MCS
Home club or Range: lydd, Ashford and Bisley

#1003 Post by MCS »

You don’t need one your finger is fast enough!!

Sent from my boing using "An application"
kevinww

Re: Response to Consultation on offensive weapons

#1004 Post by kevinww »

The Lord Flashheart wrote:https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... tement.pdf

Paragraph 44 onward for conclusions on 50 cal and MARS rifles.

Reading through I could almost hear Sir Humphrey's influence on the wording on why exactly these things need banning...
Have they not screwed that document up, dating it 18/6/2018, yet in the paragraph about ECHR it states something like the "Home secretary, in her view" I thought Rudd she was long gone, and it just shows how long ago this was prepared.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#1005 Post by Blackstuff »

No because Nick Hurd is a little b!tch too!
DVC
Blackstuff

#1006 Post by Blackstuff »

Cj10 wrote:
Thanks. I believe the following means only reloading consumables, dies, equipment and accessories relating to firearms which generate in excess of 13600 joules will be compensated. (My bold)
In subsection (1) “ancillary equipment” means equipment, other than
prohibited ammunition, which—
(a)is designed or adapted for use in connection with firearms prohibited
by virtue of section 28 or 29, and
(b)has no practicable use in connection with any firearm which is not a prohibited weapon.
Great, so that means all the accessories i have that are VZ58 specific won't be covered as you can still own a straight-pull version(!) ****
DVC
Blackstuff

#1007 Post by Blackstuff »

Also i note that there is a cut-off date for the accusition of things caught by this proposal for compensation of 20/06/18. How will they know when you bought it? Will we have to prove receipts for things we're asking for compenstaion for?! If so i'll be getting nothing!
DVC
JSC
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA

#1008 Post by JSC »

The full summary document is this one here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultat ... egislation
JSC
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA

#1009 Post by JSC »

I have to admit I'm surprised only 45% of responses opposed prohibition, but without any detailed information it's impossible to know why as it's devoid of any detailed information.

When writing to your MP (as I'm sure you will be) you should use the comments in this document and the others published yesterday to point out how pointless and unjust these proposals are. It's really the only thing MPs will have to refer to other than speaking to their mates in the HO...
Cj10

#1010 Post by Cj10 »

The original compensation proposals asscoiciated with the 1997 act were very narrow initially. After pressure the scope was widened to include the majority of accessories, including reloading equipment and sights. There was then a list of pistols, accessories, and ammunition published along with their surrender value.

I can only hope this will happen again, as the value of items used with MARS and Lever Release systems, especially the 9mm and 45acp variants, will be significantly less in resale terms despite there being straight pull equivalents.

I may be wrong, but I believe there was a cut off date in the 1997 Act for purchase, after which compensation would not be payable. I was not asked for receipts except for a couple of custom pistols, where there was no official sunnrender value available. Payment for these took longer than those which I claimed for under their published value.