New laws coming?

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
HH1
Home club or Range: PSA

Re: New laws coming?

#1041 Post by HH1 »

Blackstuff wrote:One thing i do know for sure, unless specifically required for compensation purposes, they won't be getting a complete rifle. I'll be stripping any non-licensed parts off it, giving the dissassembled licensed parts in a bag and it'll all be getting painted bright pink/yellow/orange, i'm not having my rifle paraded around on the news with some beaming MP pr!ck showing off a 'scary' looking gun "Look at these terrifying weapons we've taken off the street" 8-)
The only problem I see with doing this is that the Firearms Licensing Dept. may consider this "unreasonable behaviour"........
Nelly2014
Home club or Range: WNSC, UKPSA, SDC, MYOB

#1042 Post by Nelly2014 »

Laurie wrote:This was all risk-assessed at the time of the pistol ban, and despite your opinions nelly, it was deemed to add to the public risk not reduce it as previous posts have pointed out.

As to previous experience, the late 20th century Red Army Faction / Baader-Meinhof terrorist organisation was armed almost entirely from raids on German police and military sources. That has applied elsewhere too before now.

The buildings security demanded for centralised civilian armouries would be staggering as unlike military bases, they are rarely in high-security locations, and the costs would be astronomic - enough to shut civilian shooting down in itself. There is the issue then of people being allowed to remove weapons and ammunition to shoot in competitions elsewhere which could be abused by a would-be Ryan or Hamilton. (There was a murder back in the 80s or 90s in which a probationary club member signed out a club revolver and ammunition from the club armoury / attached shop, walked off the premises shooting club officials who tried to stop him, drove off, murdered a man he'd known since school days and then committed suicide. It turned out he had just been diagnosed with a terminal disease and had apparently decided to settle a longstanding score as well as doing himself in faster and less unpleasantly than waiting for cancer or whatever he had to do it. Club membership and probationary rules and access to firearms by non-FAC holders was changed as a result, but it shows how little protection club armouries provide to a person who wishes to get around them.)

It would all be a waste of time anyway as all it takes is a bunch of thugs to turn up at a club official's home, take his family hostage, and say you'll take us to the armoury and unlock it or your wife and kids get it.
Which could happen at any RFD, club or firearm storage facility of any kind. Not to mention manufacturing facilities which I'm sure are plentiful.
Ateotd, no one really needs to take their guns home apart from certain specific cases as I mentioned previously.
The firearms laws we have allowed to be foisted upon us by various governments over the last 30 odd years make no sense as we all know.
It infuriates me that spineless apathy by gun owners and shooting organisations has resulted in the most ludicrous and embarrassing firearms laws in the world.
As I was trying to explain to a Belgian a couple of weeks ago we can have sem-auto slug firing shotguns with as many 10 round mags as you can carry but we cannot buy a toy gun (airsoft) without certain permissions. He laughed.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#1043 Post by bradaz11 »

Nelly2014 wrote:no one really needs to take their guns home apart from certain specific cases as I mentioned previously.
As a 7.3 user, I can say, bo...cks to that! the issues I have because I cannot take the gun home are many.
It is enough of a ball ache using 7.3 firearms let alone doing any work to them or cleaning, and even making ammo for them
why on earth would you advocate a further restriction on firearm users?
are a large number of guns, spread out. less of a risk than a high number in one spot?

also you say in your idea, that this would then magically get back handguns and S/A rifles, do you not think that would make the club a huge target?
clubs atm are not even remotely a target as any robbers are most likely to get a heap of .22 bolties, and a few underlevers.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#1044 Post by dromia »

bradaz11 wrote:
Nelly2014 wrote:no one really needs to take their guns home apart from certain specific cases as I mentioned previously.
As a 7.3 user, I can say, bo...cks to that! the issues I have because I cannot take the gun home are many.
It is enough of a ball ache using 7.3 firearms let alone doing any work to them or cleaning, and even making ammo for them
why on earth would you advocate a further restriction on firearm users?
are a large number of guns, spread out. less of a risk than a high number in one spot?

also you say in your idea, that this would then magically get back handguns and S/A rifles, do you not think that would make the club a huge target?
clubs atm are not even remotely a target as any robbers are most likely to get a heap of .22 bolties, and a few underlevers.
What he said. I only took section 7.3 out after the pistol ban for spite and because I could, I had guns that came within its purview. Also my friend the late Lawrence Tully was setting up a section 7.3 range and I was involved in that so it was also supporting him. The actual range process to get shooting them soon drove away any enthusiasm I might have had for it.

Also this severely reduces the market for buying and selling such guns.

Again as has been pointed out it would do nothing to make the world any safer and just centralise the "risk".

Such appeasement thinking is weak and undermines our position even further and will just hasten the demise of legal gun ownership in the UK. It is beyond me as to why any responsible gun owner might think this a good idea????

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

#1045 Post by Dellboy »

Do you not think that the whole thing is designed to make people loose interest
IE if i buy it will it be banned ? 6 months plus for a variation (or more in some places) . talk of compulsary medicals .
I know more than one person who has thrown in the towel as its too much trouble .....
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#1046 Post by GeeRam »

Dellboy wrote:Do you not think that the whole thing is designed to make people loose interest
Yes.
Thorney
Home club or Range: Silverstone Shooting Centre

#1047 Post by Thorney »

When we opened the requirements for security seemed honerous, however with hindsight I’m glad we did it all and more, we even installed multiple panic alarms and an electronic gate airlock system to help prevent some of the examples cited here.
ordnance

#1048 Post by ordnance »

airlock system. ? I don't know any clubs here that keep firearms stored at the club / range.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#1049 Post by bradaz11 »

ordnance wrote:airlock system. ?
multiple controlled doors, outer door can't open until inner is shut ect
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#1050 Post by Blackstuff »

Hunter87 wrote:
Blackstuff wrote:One thing i do know for sure, unless specifically required for compensation purposes, they won't be getting a complete rifle. I'll be stripping any non-licensed parts off it, giving the dissassembled licensed parts in a bag and it'll all be getting painted bright pink/yellow/orange, i'm not having my rifle paraded around on the news with some beaming MP pr!ck showing off a 'scary' looking gun "Look at these terrifying weapons we've taken off the street" 8-)
Bend the barrel at a 90 degree angle for a laugh
I did think about that but they'd probably try to do me for having a 'short firearm' or not deactivating it properly 8-)

FYI there is no conspriacy theory regarding removing firearms from the public amongst political parties. There is a very real conspriacy in Whitehall to do it and its wish/shopping list is freely available to view, here's submission from Colin Greenwood that includes it;

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/c ... 95ap25.htm

As you can see they're slowly but surely ticking them all off the list ****
DVC