Fundamentals of Marksmanship

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
FrenchieBoy
Home club or Range: Chadderton Rifle & Pistol Club

Re: Fundamentals of Marksmanship

#11 Post by FrenchieBoy »

TattooedGun wrote:
Chuck wrote:Or there's things like this - tons of "how to" on the net: everyone has an opinion.

http://www.armystudyguide.com/content/a ... mark.shtml

http://www.thenewrifleman.com/marksmans ... ers-guide/

Surely it's what works for the individual that counts?
Absolutely.

The aim of my article was not to tell people explicitly how to shoot, but to give them the tools on what they should be concentrating on being consistent.

Ultimately fundamentals should be the very basics, as I mentioned everyone is different, and what one person will find works for them, may not work for someone else, so I tried to avoid that.

I was going to write some further posts detailing some of the techniques I have been showed over the years by coaches that were or are considered the 'best practice' - but look at olympians or top shooters and each will have their own style and technique that works because they've worked on what works for them and they're consistent with it.

I'm still undecided, because it will cause a divide by those who have been taught a different way or those who swear by other techniques.

You are of course 100% correct. What might suit one might not be suitable for others and offering advice as you have done is what forums should be about. This is what I have done on the video, I have showed what works for me in the hope that it might help others. In no way would I suggest or think that my way is the only way, it is down to the individual to try various ways and then decide what works for them.
I am not into competition style range shooting but I respect those who are, maybe some of the competition shooters could teach us field shooters a thing or two. I am more a field sporter, predominantly a hunter and use techniques that suit my type of shooting best but admit that they might not be suitable or best suited for Target or Range Shooting.