How do you know if you have an open license ?

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: How do you know if you have an open license ?

#11 Post by Blackstuff »

Oddbod wrote:
My FEO offered the opposite advice.
He said keep sending in permissions as soon as you get them, as if you send in enough, they move you onto an open ticket, which is exactly what happened in less than a year.
The original restriction was very clear that new permissions had to be approved prior to any shooting on the land(s) in question.

ETA I just dug through my files for the original letter & the wording is quite clear that they must be informed first:
If you wish to shoot on additional areas of land with your rifles, please supply written permission from the relevant landowners confirming their telephone number, full details of the location of the land, what quarry you intend to shoot and with what type & calibre of rifle & I shall arrange checks for its suitability.

If you are able to supply evidence that the land has previously been approved for your type & calibre of firearm then the area need not be re-examined
The OP already has an open ticket and it was in that capacity that I replied, once you have an open ticket it is of little interest to the FLD where you may or may not be shooting.

If the ticket was closed I would absolutely make a pest of myself sending them each and every permission I got as I got them. :good:
DVC
Cutch
Home club or Range: Glasgow and District Pistol Club

#12 Post by Cutch »

Is the tickets slightly different in each area? Scotland, wales and England? My mate has his in wales and he seems to think that since he has an open ticket he can buy as many .22 rifles he wants as he has that caliber on his licence? I told him that as far as I’m aware you still need to specify each slot / caliber on your licence even though they would be same caliber. Now mines an open ticket too as far as I’m aware but I asked my firearms officer and he said he couldnt confirm another country or forces rules...

My wording on my licence below
Attachments
C4B20ACB-5F1F-43D5-833A-40C4BA4AFF61.jpeg
Blackstuff

#13 Post by Blackstuff »

Your friend is wrong. Having the open condition for being able to shoot AOLQ on any land you have permission to do so has nothing to do with being able to acquire firearms. Its quite worrying that someone with a certificate appears to have no idea how the system works. 5mith
DVC
Cutch
Home club or Range: Glasgow and District Pistol Club

#14 Post by Cutch »

Thought that. He’s new to rifles, has had shotguns for decades and it was the gun shop he uses that told him this apparently! I was astounded that a gun shop would say that, I’m sure he must have misunderstood them when they were talking.
Blackstuff

#15 Post by Blackstuff »

Quite possible he mistook them saying "You can buy ANY .22 you want" (as in any make/model) rather "as many"
DVC
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#16 Post by Mattnall »

It would be interesting to see how the shop handles his request to purchase one .22 rifle over and above his allowed limit.

Unless he's running a miniature rifle range of course.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.