Differences between the Accuracy International models?

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
The Lord Flashheart
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Ham & Pea

Differences between the Accuracy International models?

#1 Post by The Lord Flashheart »

Gents,

Anyone up to speed to on the differences between the AX and AT platforms, it's not readily apparent from their website?

I quite fancy an AI of some description but lost track of them after the AW.

Cheers,

A
TattooedGun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

Re: Differences between the Accuracy International models?

#2 Post by TattooedGun »

Honestly, I'm not sure what's not readily apparent or what someone can tell you here that isn't already on the website.

AX - comes in 2 types, AX308 (dedicated .308 receiver) or AXMC - "Multi-Calibre" a .338 Lap Mag which can be reconfigured to .300 Win Mag or.308 Win in minutes simply by changing the barrel, bolt and magazine/insert.

The AT is essentially the continuation of the AW which comes with a pistol grip, but the traditional thumbhole stock is available as an option.

Really, you need to go on the website to get all of the information. there are pictures at the top with roll-over captions for the specifications on each model.

or you could browse the datasheets:

AXMC - http://www.accuracyinternational.com/de ... K-zooe.pdf
AX308 - http://www.accuracyinternational.com/de ... K-k8cl.pdf
AT - http://www.accuracyinternational.com/de ... K-0g9a.pdf
The Lord Flashheart
Past Supporter

#3 Post by The Lord Flashheart »

Thanks for your reply and apologies as I don't appear to have expressed myself very clearly.

I understood the difference between the AW and the AE, the latter being a simplified and non-milspec version of the former, having handled them both.

Of the two I confess I preferred the AE for the same reasons I prefer the PH Envoy over an Enforcer but was not sure how that applied to the AX and AT.

I was hoping for someone had used them and was able to give me the benefit of their experience.

I looked at the webpage and the data sheets and they don't really explain the difference, more just why each model is so great...
TattooedGun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

#4 Post by TattooedGun »

The Lord Flashheart wrote:Thanks for your reply and apologies as I don't appear to have expressed myself very clearly.

I understood the difference between the AW and the AE, the latter being a simplified and non-milspec version of the former, having handled them both.

Of the two I confess I preferred the AE for the same reasons I prefer the PH Envoy over an Enforcer but was not sure how that applied to the AX and AT.

I was hoping for someone had used them and was able to give me the benefit of their experience.

I looked at the webpage and the data sheets and they don't really explain the difference, more just why each model is so great...
I'm still not sure what tangible differences you hope to find.

You mention the reasons you prefer the PH Envoy over the Enforcer, but do not mention what those reasons (differences) are.

What quantifiable information do you seek to know about the differences of the rifles? Is it the rifles themselves, their roles in military, or some other information?
The Lord Flashheart
Past Supporter

#5 Post by The Lord Flashheart »

Well the Envoy is cheaper, more freely available and you don't feel so bad about shooting one out.

The Enforcer like L39A1 are getting collectible and you wouldn't fit an accessory rail to the front for example.

This is despite the fact that they are fundamentally the same rifle at heart and shoot very similarly barring variance in individual rifles , which is not the case for the AW vs AE.

The AE had a different safety, different and non bonded in action, etc but from all acocunts and in my experience shot no differently to the AW, as above.

Finally there is an ieffable quality called "feel" which can only be described by those who have shot them.

That sort of thing.
Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

#6 Post by Dellboy »

shot an AT in 308 and liked it but shot a AXMC in 338 iap mag and was suprised at the lack of felt recoil but its heavy ,also shot the AX stock with a 6.5x47 (rem 700) and liked that stock a lot more .

But you need to shoot them to see how they feel to you .

im going for an AX in 308 with a 6.5C barell
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

Oddbod

#7 Post by Oddbod »

AX-13 is also available in .243Win, as I currently have one (it's too heavy for me to carry when stalking).
The Lord Flashheart
Past Supporter

#8 Post by The Lord Flashheart »

Thanks guys, good to hear from those with some actual experience of the product over and above looking at the webpage. ;) :D

Interesting to hear of the different cartridge choices, I had always associated the platform with the 308.

A 6.5mm of some description would be a better choice for a long range rifle and is something I am considering hard at the moment.

I am assuming the folding stocks are fit for purpose but anyone have any experience of them in use?

This won't be for deer, just for target work with maybe the odd high seat trip for a bit of variety.
Strangely Brown
Home club or Range: NRA

#9 Post by Strangely Brown »

The Lord Flashheart wrote:I am assuming the folding stocks are fit for purpose but anyone have any experience of them in use
Flashy, I have a AE MkIII with a folding stock and 20" barrel which fits into the back of most cars. Had I gone for a 26" barrel and fixed stock I guess I would be buggered trying to fit it into my car.

The folding was difficult to fit into a drag bag at first but Aim now do a 42" folding stock drag bag which fits it a treat.
Mick
The Lord Flashheart
Past Supporter

#10 Post by The Lord Flashheart »

Strangely Brown wrote:
The Lord Flashheart wrote:I am assuming the folding stocks are fit for purpose but anyone have any experience of them in use
Flashy, I have a AE MkIII with a folding stock and 20" barrel which fits into the back of most cars. Had I gone for a 26" barrel and fixed stock I guess I would be buggered trying to fit it into my car.

The folding was difficult to fit into a drag bag at first but Aim now do a 42" folding stock drag bag which fits it a treat.

Thanks Mick, I confess not having considered that. I have a few AIM drag bags, a short one for a folding rifle would be a nice touch instead of having to put rifles on the back seat and diagonally acropss the boot...

I wish I'd bought a AW when they were still reasonble money, really want one now... wallhead