NRA RSO course

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
phaedra1106
Past Supporter

Re: NRA RSO course

#11 Post by phaedra1106 »

Bit more of an insight to this, I've been told that the MOD expressed concerns that the NRA RCO qualification course is only ran over a period of 2 days whereas the military course takes them 5 days.

As a way to bridge the difference the NRA suggested the RSO course. Surely it would have been better and more sensible to sit down with the MOD and ask what they actually have concerns about?, what part of the current RCO course did they think was lacking? was there something that wasn't being covered? etc. instead of just adding a further financial burden to clubs that are already under pressure and thereby contributing to the death of civilian shooting in the UK.
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
Thorney
Home club or Range: Silverstone Shooting Centre

#12 Post by Thorney »

How the hell can it take 5 days?

Its stretched out as it is for 2 days IMO.
sclg
Site Supporter 2019
Home club or Range: Pipers Shooting Club

#13 Post by sclg »

If it's so difficult it needs 5 days training then it needs a simple checklist for the RCO to follow.
If they have a checklist, then they don't need 5 days training...

You also have to remember that a lot of people make a lot of money out of training - it's a good business. The more complex you can make it seem the more money you can make.
I recently did a PAT testing course which took a whole days - anyone with a functioning brain could have taken it all on board in an hour or two...
Fedaykin
Home club or Range: Cawdor

#14 Post by Fedaykin »

So if there is an RSO and RCO on the range at the same time will conversations like this occur:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRRCrHA1ezU
I am Arthur Frayn, and I am Zardoz.
I have lived 300 years...

I am immortal.
I present now my story,
full of mystery and intrigue,
rich in irony, and most satirical.
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#15 Post by GeeRam »

Thorney wrote:How the hell can it take 5 days?
Probably 3 days taken with saluting/painting kerbs white/filling in requisition forms........ ;) lol

One of our club probation members is an ex-Army RCO, and I recall him mentioning it was 5 days, so will have to ask him next time what they cover in a 5 day course.
Yalan

#16 Post by Yalan »

Well for starters, the Military 'course' is split into a Short range course and then a Long range course with separate quals and the short range is a pre-requisite for the long.
They cover a lot of different range types and the formalities are detailed. Paperwork is significant and covers everything form range booking to producing the 15 odd page safety plan for each occasion with every assistant named and managed.

NRA RCO quals have been significantly easier to acquire and whilst perfectly adequate for civvy ranges, I can understand why the MoD would want Civvy users of their ranges to be trained to a standard closer to that of their own users.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#17 Post by dromia »

If that is the case surely the issue is around content not duration.

It would be interesting to see what actual content in the RSO course is missing from the RCO's course.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Christel
Site Admin

#18 Post by Christel »

Yalan wrote: NRA RCO quals have been significantly easier to acquire and whilst perfectly adequate for civvy ranges, I can understand why the MoD would want Civvy users of their ranges to be trained to a standard closer to that of their own users.
That does not make sense, why would once a month users have to be educated to the same "standard" as military staff who performs more duties than the once a month user? I have seen civilians shooters be more safety concious than the MOD staff. Also there is always a range warden present when we shoot on MOD land.

How difficult do we want to make life? Or is this yet another nail in the already overflowing coffin called UK shooting?
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#19 Post by Pete »

I did the RCO course a couple of years ago when it was on offer for £45, mainly to get a better appreciation of how things should be done, and how Bisley works.
It's unlikely that I'll renew when it expires. I only shoot centre fire at Bisley, so I don't need it.

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#20 Post by GeeRam »

christel wrote:
Yalan wrote: Or is this yet another nail in the already overflowing coffin called UK shooting?
Yep.

All part of the general nibbling away at us in the hope that eventually we'll just give up........