This is a very one sided story.

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Site Supporter Since 2015

This is a very one sided story.

#1 Post by 1066 »

Our schools are safe now because we banned handguns.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... dents.html

This is from the BBC in 2001.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1440764.stm
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
Chuck

Re: This is a very one sided story.

#2 Post by Chuck »

lol lol lol lol
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#3 Post by Dark Skies »

And also ...

http://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ ... y/CBP-7654

Up 23% over previous figures for 2016/17
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Kungfugerbil
Past Supporter

#4 Post by Kungfugerbil »

Playing Devil’s Apricot* for a moment, they’re right. There is less likelihood of a school shooting similar to Dunblane following the controls being put in place. School shooters tend to rely on legally-held firearms and given the restricted access to the type of firearms used, there is less opportunity.

Of course any fool can take a hacksaw to a 90-quid side-by-side and create a concealable firearm, but that’s another story...

No agenda here (I thoroughly enjoy owning and shooting my firearms) but you can see where they are getting their headline from. School shootings since Dunblane = zero.

* pun intended. But failed.
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#5 Post by Daryll »

i would have left a comment on the news article, but it needs you to login and I can't be bothered to spare the DM the time...

Yes, there have been no school shootings since Dunblane and the gun bans.... but there were no school shootings in the 100 years before Dunblane either.... and handguns were a lot more prolific in those years.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#6 Post by dromia »

School shootings in the UK prior to Dunblane?

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#7 Post by Dark Skies »

School shootings are not a British thing. Never were. Very unlikely to be in the future.
A knee-jerk reaction to a one-off crime does not a solution make.
A more accurate headline would be 'Schools Safe Because Pedo Hamilton Is Dead.'
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Kungfugerbil
Past Supporter

#8 Post by Kungfugerbil »

Daryll wrote:Yes, there have been no school shootings since Dunblane and the gun bans.... but there were no school shootings in the 100 years before Dunblane either.... and handguns were a lot more prolific in those years.
They’re a relatively modern phenomenon. Dunblane doesn’t fit the pattern as it was a pervy old man with designs on kids rather than a bullied / disaffected / ostracised pupil. School shootings weren’t big in the US a generation ago either.

Back when we were kids if you fell out with someone at school you would batter them - or get battered - on the fields after school. Muddy clothes, split lip, done. The internet / Social media / prescription meds (delete as applicable) means that’s no longer the case, sadly...

This isnt a guns are evil rant by the way, I think shooting is great and really appreciate the firearms I own. :good:
Kungfugerbil
Past Supporter

#9 Post by Kungfugerbil »

Dark Skies wrote:School shootings are not a British thing. Never were. Very unlikely to be in the future'
They weren’t an American thing until relatively recently. Who can say if they would be a British thing if there were the same firearms rules in place now as pre-Dunblane. It’s naive to think that British kids don’t feel the same as American kids - it is primarily the ease of access to the guns that is the difference. Of course even pre-Dunblane we didn’t have anywhere near the amount of guns floating around.
froggy
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: HPRP (UK) + Corsaires Malouins (France) + Czech Rep

#10 Post by froggy »

I dare say it one more time, a gun never killed anybody by himself, the guy who use it does the killing. Our politicians have decided to let in a huge number of people who by nature, culture, social status, education or lack of it are to be violent or become violent.
London is a prime exemple. Legal guns are not readily available, so the more "professional" import them at great cost and the others will use anything else at their disposal, whether it is knives, hammers or acid etc... to get the job done.

UK Gun laws for vetted law abiding people are by large totally irrelevant to the number of people killed or ending up in hospitals !!
Want to shoot pistol ? Don't retreat... reload & run forward !!
http://dynamicshootingcz.co.uk/