What are you allowed to bring back from Russia......

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Gazza

What are you allowed to bring back from Russia......

#1 Post by Gazza »

The wife is going for her 2 yearly visit to the motherland this year and was just wondering what she would be allowed to bring back gun/part wise?
What do the current sanctions cover? and do they cover tourist type "souvenirs" or just trade importing?
She does not seem keen on the idea but will get a shopping list together just in case she cracks! lol
Obviously this would have to be legal with no false bottom cases or the like. :D
@nd

Re: What are you allowed to bring back from Russia......

#2 Post by @nd »

a young wife :p
meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

#3 Post by meles meles »

Toxins?
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
daman
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: HRPC, NRA, BASC, BDS, Larbert, UKPSA

#4 Post by daman »

Beasts?

Or at least big furry hats and coats
Robert303
Home club or Range: Vintage Arms Scotland. Full voting HBSA member

#5 Post by Robert303 »

Read Notice 1
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... update.pdf
So £390 of 'Other Goods' 1 litre of booze 200 cigarettes. As to firearms related gear it used to be quite simple. If you imported a firearm you needed your FAC showing you had a slot for it. If it was a part that required proofing such as a slide, barrel, receiver, or frame then you needed a slot for it on your FAC. In both cases the FAC was being used as a form of import licence.

If it did not require proofing as a pressure bearing part you could bring it in so, magazines, scopes, triggers, scope mounts etc were only covered by the PERSONAL USE £390 limit. If you had multiple items the same such as 20 AK47 mags then it might well be considered a Commercial Importation with Duty and VAT due and LOTS of lovely paperwork. Believe me you do not want to go there unless you know what you are doing or have a good agent.

However since I left H.M. Customs, now Border Force, they are with Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS) (What used to be the Dept of Trade and Industry) tightening up on what requires an import license, so you may have to contact them (Please let us know how you get on) Google is your friend Type in 'what firearms parts need an import licence in to the U.K.' and you will get lots of useful information such as
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... n-2016.pdf
ArcofZen
Home club or Range: Tunnel Club Charmouth

#6 Post by ArcofZen »

I’d ask for some AK furniture, I’d imagine it’s extremely cheap there. In the UK not so much!
Wreck diving heaven... https://youtu.be/SC3QXpVy15s
Laurie

#7 Post by Laurie »

Robert303 wrote:If you had multiple items the same such as 20 AK47 mags then it might well be considered a Commercial Importation with Duty and VAT due and LOTS of lovely paperwork. Believe me you do not want to go there unless you know what you are doing or have a good agent.
I suspect that if the Border Agency find 20 AK mags in your possession on passing through Heathrow, they might draw rather more sinister conclusions these days leading to a long and unpleasant interview with SO15 officers or whatever the anti-terrorist lot are now called. ............. and while you're unavoidably detained in some miserable cop-shop, another bunch of them will be turning your house over and confiscating any PCs, laptops and other Internet connected devices.
froggy
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: HPRP (UK) + Corsaires Malouins (France) + Czech Rep

#8 Post by froggy »

A Berenzka camo Afghanka Jacket size 50-4 !!!

BTW, I noticed on sunday, at Stansted airport, a new big poster warning agst taking "weapons components" through customs. I dont know what is their interpretation but the frogs deem, even a stock, to be a component.
Want to shoot pistol ? Don't retreat... reload & run forward !!
http://dynamicshootingcz.co.uk/
Robert303
Home club or Range: Vintage Arms Scotland. Full voting HBSA member

#9 Post by Robert303 »

I was told that technically ALL parts of firearms were actually licensable but realizing that there were many components that were dual purpose such as screws, Customs, the Home Office, the Dept for Trade and Industry and the Police had agreed a common sense approach and that if the part was not pressure bearing, and requiring Proof, the import licensing requirements would be covered by the FAC.
However due to a few imports being found that were non pressure bearing parts but they were being used to 'Reactivate' some early Deacts that they had tightened up on the Import Licence requirements. There has also been 'Guidance' passed to RFDs about certain components which means that some parts will only be supplied on sight of the customers FAC.
As it's 5 years since I left Border Force and with all the current panic about ISIS etc you had better contact the Licensing branch and ask them what you need to import the parts you want.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#10 Post by Sim G »

Russia has just as significant terrorist issue as the West does. Their CT laws are not big on the “rights of the suspect”. Don’t attempt to bring anything out on a commercial flight, the reaction to that could be severe...
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!