Variation

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

Re: Variation

#11 Post by Dark Skies »

kennyc wrote:
Dark Skies wrote:And just for future ref. Thames Valley Police are fine with you hanging on to your current FAC and sending in a photocopy until the variation has been done. Return your old FAC when satisfied that the new one is correct. I always use registered mail just in case it goes astray - and email the firearms dept to tell them it's on its way.
they specifically asked for my current FAC to be returned with the form, and I'm still awaiting acknowledgement of my last 1/2 doz emails :p
Are you dealing with Kidlington HQ or somewhere local to you?

For the past three variations I've just sent photocopies as per their advice here:

"Include a full copy of your current certificate(s), including table one and two."

https://www.thamesvalley.police.uk/news ... pplicatio/

My last variation was literally just a few weeks back.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#12 Post by kennyc »

Dark Skies wrote:
kennyc wrote:
Dark Skies wrote:And just for future ref. Thames Valley Police are fine with you hanging on to your current FAC and sending in a photocopy until the variation has been done. Return your old FAC when satisfied that the new one is correct. I always use registered mail just in case it goes astray - and email the firearms dept to tell them it's on its way.
they specifically asked for my current FAC to be returned with the form, and I'm still awaiting acknowledgement of my last 1/2 doz emails :p
Are you dealing with Kidlington HQ or somewhere local to you?

For the past three variations I've just sent photocopies as per their advice here:

"Include a full copy of your current certificate(s), including table one and two."

https://www.thamesvalley.police.uk/news ... pplicatio/

My last variation was literally just a few weeks back.
Kidlington "and your original firearms certificate"
Keithkilvo1
Home club or Range: ARPC

#13 Post by Keithkilvo1 »

Same with me I just send off a photocopy of my licence and once I receive the new one send the old original one back shakeshout
Dark Skies

#14 Post by Dark Skies »

Sending off my original FAC would not have worked out well for me when I wanted three new firearms added - they took almost two months and I had ammunition for competitions to buy.
kennyc

#15 Post by kennyc »

Dark Skies wrote:Sending off my original FAC would not have worked out well for me when I wanted three new firearms added - they took almost two months and I had ammunition for competitions to buy.
none the less they specifically requested my original, regardless of how long they take, if they ask for it I guess you have to comply
Dark Skies

#16 Post by Dark Skies »

kennyc wrote:
Dark Skies wrote:Sending off my original FAC would not have worked out well for me when I wanted three new firearms added - they took almost two months and I had ammunition for competitions to buy.
none the less they specifically requested my original, regardless of how long they take, if they ask for it I guess you have to comply
I can't see why they would need it - they issued it and have all your details on computer. Did they suspect that you had lost it?
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#17 Post by GeeRam »

The Met Police also require you to send in your original FAC with any variation application as well.....but, as they turned around my variation in less than a week, it wasn't a huge issue.
kennyc

#18 Post by kennyc »

Dark Skies wrote:
kennyc wrote:
I can't see why they would need it - they issued it and have all your details on computer. Did they suspect that you had lost it?
you would have to ask them, and bearing in mind I had sent it with the variation, and it came back with the letter I would suspect they knew I had it razz
oh and they didn't have all my details on computer as if they had, then we wouldn't be having this discussion , it was their tardiness in updating my details that caused them to assume I hadn't disposed of one rifle before applying for a variation for another.
Lancs_Oakley
Home club or Range: Diggle

#19 Post by Lancs_Oakley »

GeeRam wrote:The Met Police also require you to send in your original FAC with any variation application as well.....but, as they turned around my variation in less than a week, it wasn't a huge issue.
Same, I posted mine off on a Monday and it arrived back done and dusted on Saturday.
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#20 Post by Daryll »

Not in Cambs you can't... they say you can't be in possesion of 2 FACs...

When I got a variation for my LBR they mistakenly put it down as a .38 rifle... I rang them the next day and they admitted thier mistake, but said i had to send in my incorrect one before they could give me the corrected one.
As i only work 5 mins from the Licencing office, i drove there in my lunch hour and the nice lady met me at the gate with the corrected one, we swapped and away I went.